Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
kusters

Default GS Tour Master 1996 model

I am looking to get as much information as possible on the 1996 Tour Master of Gulfstream motorhome. This is my first diesel pusher and I know nothing about Gulfstream. I understand that Gulfstream is no longer making Class A motorhomes and all my searches on the internet has been very limited on support, manuals and information. Can anyone here give me any pointers on the specific model and the good and bad with this model and Gulfstream in general as well as the best source for the needed manuals to keep the couch in tip top shape (electrical, hydraulic, septic .....).
Is there anything specifically that I should watch for or look at twice before I pay and drive here home, other than the normal motorhome stuff? I am worried about paying to much for an older motorhome without slide and not knowing how long the manufacturer will provide support. What about resale value?? So anyways I have a lot of questions and if anyone has anything to say about the 1996 Tour Master 8400 I would gladly listen. Thanks Steve
kusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: GS Tour Master 1996 model

All I can say is that TourMaster was top of the line for many years. But you are trying to purchase a coach that is seventeen years old, and things do wear down.. Check it out real good. You will be having problems with Gulf Stream coach company because they are not in the mechanized division anymore, and also the age of the coach. But if you are handy with tools, you can keep that coach in top shape, and get many good times out of it. Many are still on the road.

Good luck!
Ray
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
kusters

Thank you for the comment Ray.

I think that's what it's all about, if it's older it will need more tinkering.
I'm willing to spend some time, it's the "big" surprises that I'm trying to avoid!!!! So I'm especially looking for any and all KNOWN ISSUES or WHAT TO LOOK FOR with the Gulfstream's and especially the Tour Master 8400, the Spartan chassis, the Cummins 400HP engine, Allison 6 speed transmission, 7.5kw Onan diesel generator, the side-by-side fridge/freezer, Hydraulic levelers AP 1361, Fredom 20 invertor, rubber roof .....

Ray, it looks like you have a 2002 model GS, have you had any major repairs?
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 11-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
RayChez1

Yes I bought this coach brand new in April 2003, and the only problem I had around 2006 was a fuel pump on my Cat engine went bad. Lucky I had extended warranty. Other then that it has been a very good coach. I got 57k miles on it now.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
kusters

Well that sounds promising, only one repair in 47k miles. I am new to diesels and understand that repairs are more costly than gas engines. What is an average cost on a fuel pump? Is this an electrical pump in the diesel tank or a mechanical pump on the engine? Thanks for your info Ray
Old 11-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
RayChez1

I did not pay for the Huie pump, but they are expensive on all Diesel engines. I had extended warranty. I just payed a fifty dollar copayment. I would guess about $1500. Plus labor!
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
danL

I have a996 Tourmaster which I bought as the third owner some years ago.
I do almost all of the work possible for an old man to accomplish .
Mine had the fuel filter which was a two part, one micron filter in a glass container and a spin on paper filter. Suggest you remove those items and replace them with one spin on type fuel filter.
The automotive A/C compressor froze up and destroyed itself so I replaced it. Had a hard time finding the dryer so I could purge the system. After a day I found it located in the front left wheel well covered with their wonderful expanding foam.
I could write a book so keep your tool box handy and it is a wonderful travel9ing coach.
Mine is in storage now and all the literature is in it so any questions will take a day or so.

Enjoy, Dan
Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
lastpick

I just purchased a '96 GS tourmaster as well, unfortunately the prior owner passed away. So, that also meant no knowledge was passed onto me the new owner. Could anyone tell me where the HWH manual jack manifold is? Or where do I add hydraulic fluid for the levelers? I've looked everywhere and cannot find the 4 T valves described in the manual.
lastpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
jerryscott

I am just GUESSING, but, I have a Gulfstream 95' ScenicCruiser with the 330 Cummins turbo.
I just had the steering gearbox rebuilt (I took it off and sent it for rebuild then reinstalled it) and of course the hydraulic fluid leaked. I FINALLY found THAT reservoir on the very back (towards the front of the coach) a coffee can looking container with a T Handle on top and a large hydraulic hose attached at the bottom that you PULL UP on the handle and the dip stick comes out (mine was very hard to get out at first) and you add fluid in that hole for the power steering.
Now, for your levelers, I have absolutely no idea (just waiting for that one to have problems) but, as I understand, the hydraulic system all uses basically the same fluid and reservoir. I know my steering box took several quarts to fill back up (Spartan told me emphatically to use Dextron III fluid).
Hope any of this helps and good luck.
jerryscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
jerryscott

I wasn't clear on the location of the reservoir, it's IN THE ENGINE compartment under the lift up hood in the bedroom and opposite the radiator end and attached on a bracket on the end of the diesel motor was where I finally located my reservoir.
jerryscott is offline   Reply With Quote