Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Cakeman

Default Spare Tire

Looking to finally get a spare wheel/tire for the MH. Are the wheels a standard chev. 22.5 wheel or is it a special from workhorse?
Toledo, Ohio
Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Cakeman

Must be nobody knows, guess I will ask the Allegro people.
Toledo, Ohio
Old 04-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
RJ82much

Now I feel bad for not answering, but I don't know....

My unit didn't come with a spare. I asked why & was told "they" don't want me changing my own tire. Also, the torque requirement is more than I could loosen, & therefore more than I could apply, the weight is more than I could handle" (& I might get my hands dirty?)

Anyway, that's why I never looked into the source of a spare ever again.

The Workhorse chassis arrives at the factory with wheels & tires. GS has a local tire repair center that does the factory warantee work when a tire fails. The factory tour guide told me that is an excellent source for spares because the service is allowed to keep & repair wheels/tires that are replaced.

Do a Google search for Michelin tire service center in Napannee, IN. I'll bet you are taken care of faster than Allegro can say "Boo".

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Cakeman

Thanks for responding.
The reason I thought about getting a spare now is the two road services that we have state they will not mount and unmount the tire on the wheel. I always thought that just having the tire would work, not so.
After talking with Camping World road service and AAA Plus they said they would change the flat tire if I had a mounted spare. Glad I found that out now and not on the side of the road with a flat tire.
Toledo, Ohio
Old 04-13-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
RJ82much

Whooops, correction: Bridgestone tires.

Also, their most likely location is
( http://tireweb.zolmantire.com/533723.htm ) Zolman tire in Mishawaka, IN. Napanee is much too small. Seems as though all products & services used by the Napanee RV builders comes from South Bend, Mishawaka, or Elkhart. Use those cities in your Google search.

Sorry

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
by8s

Ron:
With a Class A unit I prefer carrying a tire only and having a truck tire dealer with a road service truck mount the tire on the rim on the road. That's what most truckers do. My tires weigh 113 lbs and I would hate to wrestle that much weight on a rim into a belly door. AAA trucks don't look like they are capable of doing much more than changing tires on cars and pickups. Having a rim would considerably reduce the cost of a tire change though if we could find a suitable storage area. We have roadside assistance insurance with our primary insurer and we just send them the bill. Fortunately we haven't had that kind of breakdown. (Yet).
Bob
by8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Cakeman

Everyone, thanks for the come back.
I think I may get a spare and carry it on the top of my 99 jeep cherokee. That way if I have a flat on the road, the complete spare will be there. I don't think I have a bay large enough for a spare anyway.
I always tow the jeep when we travel.
I hope to never need it.
Toledo, Ohio
Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
earljan34

Ron, I see two problems with your idea (1) how are you going to get the tire up and down off the roof. (2) I don't think the roof of the jeep can handle that much weight safely. They do make a mount that is part of the trailer hitch I think this would be a better solution. Check it out at (www.rvtirecarrier.com) also you can still tow with it and a lot less height to lift the tire.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
darbyjudy

Default No spare tire

You know when I got my Gulfstream Sunvoyager I also worried about not having a spare tire. But then I began to think about it. torque on the wheels are over 400 lbs, no way can I handle that, The 22 inch tire and wheel must weigh over 100 lbs, I can't handle that either . Then I am retired, If I have to wait a few days for a tire to be delivered somewhere, no big deal. Also no where to carry it on my Rig. I looked into a add on spare tire carrier and with buying the carrier , tire and wheel it would have cost me about $700.00. Also If you carry that spare tire around for a few years it probably won't be any good anyway.
Just my opinion, forget the spare tire and wheel. Get a good Road Service.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
Beaufort NC

In my former life with a 36' Holiday Rambler, I carried a spare around, and actually got to use it once. But I now agree that the best thing to do is have the road service people come and deal with it. I think that in most cases, provided it's not a weekend or a really remote location, you're not going to have difficulty getting a tire of the correct size.
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote