Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
angelfish

Default Oil/filter changes

We have a 40 ft GS 2006 Friendship G8. We are interested in learning how to change our own oil and fuel, air filters. Anyone who does this and if so did you take specific courses to learn. Thanks.

Angelfish
angelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
RayChez1

I have changed both the fluid on the transmission and the oil and filters on the engine.
I didn't take any special classes on how to change the oil. I used to do it on my pickup before. The only difference is this is in a larger scale. I have the Caterpillar 3126-E engine which holds 19 quarts of oil, so I just went to WalMart and bought a oil catch container that would hold the amound of oil I just mentioned. I set it under the pan and pull the plug. I buy the Shell Rotella oil at WalMart and the filter I get it at Napa. After I drain the oil, then I move the pan over to catch a small amount of oil from the filter. You will need a good oil filter wrench for the filter. I even had to use a short cheeter bar to break it lose. After I removed the filter I installed the new filter and
hand tighten it. Put the plug back on and tighten it with a wrench and add the new oil. Add what ever it calls for and then check the dip stick. It might show a little above the marker. Start your engine and let it run for a few minutes and then recheck the dip stick again. It should be perfect.
Now on my coach I only have one fuel filter two micron which is on the water separater/fuel filter combination. What I do is remove the filter by unscrewing the whole canister. On mine it has like a plastic bowl in the bottom of the filter. Unscrew the bottom part off the fuel filter and wash it clean, then screw it back on the new filter. Be carefull and install the gaskets back on the filter that come with the new filter. I fill the new fuel filter with diesel and install it back on. It takes about half hour to do the job and very easy. The coach will start right away. Let it run for a few minutes then turn it off.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
rob

on the transmision, do you have to drop the pan to get to the filter? i need to learn how to do this on my 6 speed allison. where do you buy your filters?
Thanks rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
I have changed both the fluid on the transmission and the oil and filters on the engine.
I didn't take any special classes on how to change the oil. I used to do it on my pickup before. The only difference is this is in a larger scale. I have the Caterpillar 3126-E engine which holds 19 quarts of oil, so I just went to WalMart and bought a oil catch container that would hold the amound of oil I just mentioned. I set it under the pan and pull the plug. I buy the Shell Rotella oil at WalMart and the filter I get it at Napa. After I drain the oil, then I move the pan over to catch a small amount of oil from the filter. You will need a good oil filter wrench for the filter. I even had to use a short cheeter bar to break it lose. After I removed the filter I installed the new filter and
hand tighten it. Put the plug back on and tighten it with a wrench and add the new oil. Add what ever it calls for and then check the dip stick. It might show a little above the marker. Start your engine and let it run for a few minutes and then recheck the dip stick again. It should be perfect.
Now on my coach I only have one fuel filter two micron which is on the water separater/fuel filter combination. What I do is remove the filter by unscrewing the whole canister. On mine it has like a plastic bowl in the bottom of the filter. Unscrew the bottom part off the fuel filter and wash it clean, then screw it back on the new filter. Be carefull and install the gaskets back on the filter that come with the new filter. I fill the new fuel filter with diesel and install it back on. It takes about half hour to do the job and very easy. The coach will start right away. Let it run for a few minutes then turn it off.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
quikduk

Rob, Ken here.

Re: the Allison Trans. filter and fluid change, be carefull here. There are two filters on a MD3060 trans and they are the internal pleated type so no canisters like the 1000 or 2000 series.

The bolts that hold on the caps that cover these cavities are very long and they thread into fairly thin walled areas which can be stripped very easily. If you do strip them out, you have just bought a $7000 rebuild since the trans has to come out and be taken apart to repair/replace the damaged area. I may do my own but there is an authorized Allison repair/rebuild facility near my work and they only charge $95 labor for a fluid change so I may have them do it since it involves between 22 and 24 quarts.

The filter/o-ring kit runs about $75.

If I have them do it, I may change out to the Transynd synthetic fluid. My coach came with Dextron III but the Transynd can be used as a replacement and it is said it allows the trans. to run 15-20 degrees cooler. Be advised that the Transynd will run about $12-$14 per quart but if I go this route, it is for the cooling factor rather than change interval. I think I would change it every 25-30K miles.

Contrary to popular belief, you do NOT have to perform this service twice before you can use the extended change interval that Transynd suggests and this comes straight from Allison. The shop:

http://www.unitedtransmissionexchange.com/

suggests that if I bring it down to them, they will wait a little bit to allow the fluid to cool to around 140F and then drain it. Almost all of the old Dextron will come out with the fluid and filter change and the Transynd is compatible with whatever Dino fluid is left in the oil galleries.

Re: the rest of the stuff, it is easy. I am doing mine this coming weekend and will cover the engine oil/filter; fuel filters (2); power steering/hydraulics filter; coolant DCA filter and additives; check/adjust airbag leveling valves; grease all zerk fittings and possibly have a beer afterwards. I too bought my oil (Shell Rotella) at Wallyworld since it was cheaper than the Delo400 I usually use. My filters are Baldwin or Wix which make Napa filters but I am developing my own cross reference chart to save $$$ the next time. My change intervals will probably be every 2-3 years due to our use.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
RayChez1

Rob, I have the Allison 3000MH on my Scenic Cruiser. It is very simple to change the transmission fluid. Just put a pan big enough to collect the fluid and just remove the plug. Then there are two gold internal filters. You remove the covers that hold the filters in and change them out with two new filters, also change the o-rings that come with the kit. Most of the fluid will drain, BUT there will be some left in the torque converter. Don't worry about changing every drop of fluid. After you install the two new filters and put the plug back on you just start adding the fluid back as instructed by your manual. You DO NOT have to drop the pan on the 3000MH Allison tranny. Mine had Dextron III, so I stayed with the same since I never have had any problems with transmissions heating up and it has been good to me and it costs a lot less then Synthetic oils. The thing is that when I called Allison about changing from Dextron III to Synthetic they said that my warranty which was five years would drop to two years, UNTIL I gave it a second change with Synthetic, then it would jump back to five. I have had my coach now for five years and I only have 37K miles on it, so I don't need synthetic oils.
I ordered the filters through the internet and the Dextron III I bought at WalMart. After you have added so much of the fluid then you follow the instructions on your manual and the touch buttons for the transmission will give you a code as to whether you are still low and need to add more fluid. You have to pay more attention in changing the fluid on the Allison, because you sure don't want to over fill or under fill the tranny. The engine is a lot easier to change.
Good luck!
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
quikduk

Rob, I am with RayChez that I might tend to stick with the Dextron III since if it ain't broke...

I was "thinking" about the Transynd but it is pricey and the Dextron III is cheap (relatively).

I will most likely do my own since it would cost me around $30 in fuel just to get it to the shop and back...and I like doing my own maintenance.

O.K., maybe "like" is too strong a word here...
Old 09-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
rob

where are you going to buy the filter kit from?it looks like mine takes the 4" filters, just from looking at the pan. also are those two filters the same?
thanks again
Rob
Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
RayChez1

Default Transmission filters

Rob, I got the transmission Allison gold filters through the internet. You get into Goggle and type DeFeo Allison parts and you can get the phone number and call him directly. Tell them what you have and what you need. I have the six speed Allison 3000mh. I am not sure what you have on your coach, but that is where I got the Filter kits. I am not sure how much they were because it has been about four years since I changed them, but you call them and they will tell you. They were not expensive getting through the internet in comparison to a repair shop.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
quikduk

Per the Allison authorized repair shop near my work...here is the skinny:

Based on my trans. serial #6510135371, here is what will work for my MD3060:

Allison supports ANY trans fluid that meets or exceeds the TES-295 standard. They of course "like" you to use Transynd as they get $$$ from the sale in a partnership agreement but other brands are acceptable as long as they meet the standard.

Old (Allison WT units up to #661009226

VH 660861003 Automatic transmission fluid Shell Donax TA
(meets GM Dexron III and Allison C4 specifications)
Initial fill: 47 US Qts / Refill: 37 US Qts
Allison 29501202 Main filter 1 (2 quarts for filter change ONLY)
Allison 29509723 Lube filter 1 (8 quarts for filter change ONLY)

New (Allison WT units from #6610092269)

VH 10786691 Automatic transmission fluid Castrol Transynd
(meets Allison specifications for severe duty and exended drain intervals (TES ? 295) and GM Dexron III and Allison C4 specifications)
Initial fill: 47 US Qts
Refill: 37 US Qts
Allison 295387231 Main filter Product Line Gold Series 1 (2 quarts for filter change ONLY)
Allison 295387232 Lube filter Product Line Gold Series 1 (8 quarts for filter change ONLY)
VH 10801799 Tag, ?This transmission uses TranSynd??? 1

The MD3060 "should have a 4" deep pan. The filter kit includes both deep filters and both new and old gaskets/o-rings and costs about $52.

You can go with either fluid but a change of type requires a filter change. The synthetic does not really cool the transmission better. It primarily extends the service interval but is more efficient and produces less debris in the fluid. The service intervals are listed below for standard/extreme use with extreme being HD towing, running up/down big hills, heavy throttle use etc.

Dextron III: 25,000/12,000 miles (fluid AND filters)

TES-295 Synthetic: 75,000 (filters) and 300,000/150,000 (fluid)

As you can see, the switch to synthetic extends both the filter and fluid change intervals with only filter changes required in between the overall mileage numbers.

I have linked an Allison document for VanHool buses/motorhomes but it has some interesting data and guides PLUS a picture of the old/new transmission filter assemblies and pans.

Allison Info

FWIW, it lists slightly different intervals so you need to explore this. I may still go to synthetic if for nothing more than the extended service intervals and cleaner internals but I need to weigh the increased costs versus more frequest services.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
quikduk

...and yet more sources for filters...

http://www.dieselmanor.com/fleetguard/HF35296_trans.asp

http://www.triboguard.com/DataSheets/Al ... series.pdf

http://www.allisontransmission.com/serv ... einterval/

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp/172/

http://www.dieselmanor.com/fleetguard/HF35296_trans.asp