Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
TNTraveler

Default Removed overhead CRT TV

I have a 1999 Gulf Stream and did not like the looks of the TV overhead. So last week I retrieved my trusted tool box and removed this eye sore. Removed about 40# of weight also. Then it was brainstorming on how to fill the gap. The unit had a still cage welded together to hold all of the upper together and keep it from falling. With my trust saw and grinder I started to remove some of the steel but still keep the cage strength intact. I then proceed to make a compartment, keeping in mind that some day it might have to be removed to get at some of the wiring that was hidden behind the TV. Have the compartment made and will be staining it to match the rest of the wood. Will post pictures when finished. I don't recommend you doing this unless you have some engineering skills. If you just start cutting away the steel the upper compartments could work lose and cause some problem.
Having fun traveling.
TNTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
ellerich

I recently replaced my crt with a 32in HD tv. I have a 2005 Friendshio 7. I had to widen the tv area by 4in, and make the area 6in narrower. It took a lot of cutting of the steel cage, but I was very satisfied with the results If any one is interested in pics, I can provide
Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
treecounter

Send a message via AIM to treecounter

WE removed the front TV in our 03 Friendship Trio. Put the Sat. tuner and the CD player that came withe coach in the space where the TV was. Lined the cabinet with Birch plywood painted white to match the other cabinets. Put glass fronted doors on the cabinet. Only had to run one coax line as there was already one to the TV. The three wire cable for the CD player was long enough to reach the new location of the new 32" LCD TV behind the copilot Seat.
Removed the hide abed and put in two recliners. Now we can watch TV with out tilting our heads. It was some work. The hardest thing was getting that dinosaur TV out of its cabinet.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
DelJac

Default tv

TNT i would like to see your pictures have one of those tv's in our 98 tourmaster. wife does not like it hanging where it is. month or so back tried to get a folding mount to put in it's place but unable to find the right one. Jack
DelJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellerich
I recently replaced my crt with a 32in HD tv. I have a 2005 Friendshio 7. I had to widen the tv area by 4in, and make the area 6in narrower. It took a lot of cutting of the steel cage, but I was very satisfied with the results If any one is interested in pics, I can provide
Can you post some pic's of your work, it sounds very interesting to me. I would like to remove that big tv and replace it with one of the thin LCD or Plasma. But I sure don't want to tackle something that I don't know how. That steel box would be a bear to cut and reshape to fit the new TV. Not only that but you want to do a good job that does not make it look ugly or an add on.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
TNTraveler

Go to the following site to see some of the pictures of the tv removal.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TN1Traveler/RemovelOfTV#
Having fun traveling.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTraveler

What's the first photo of the hole in the ceiling?
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTraveler

OK, I can see where you removed the box in the front where the TV was and made a real nice looking cabinet, BUT, what is the square hole on the ceiling? Is that the air conditioner hole? or what.
And where is the new TV located now?
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
TNTraveler

1st picture is where the CRT TV was in the Bedroom ceiling. Currently working on that project. Purchased a TV wall bracket and should be here any day. 2nd and 3rd pic's is where I removed the CRT TV over the dash and the new cabinet I made for it. I removed the 'J' coach and purchased a 32" flat screen TV and am in the process of locating this TV where the 'J' coach was. Need to figure out what type of stand that I would like for this area. Note: After removing the 'J' coach I had to move the duct work for the furnace. They had flexible tubing running under the 'J' coach. So I made the vent that ran along the wall shorter. Will have all pictures posted of before and after, soon I hope.

Have added some pic's of the wires needed for the GPS system that was installed by Professional. You can have the system for $20 + postage.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TN1Traveler ... Everwhere#
Having fun traveling.