Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-31-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Wind Noise

I have a 2004 Gulfstream SunVoyager. It has single strength glass in the side windows in the drivers compartment and the passenger compartment. We can place our hand on the glass and it will stop the noise. Does anyone know a fix for this problem. I know that if it had insulated windows that would probably solve the problem but also would be expensive. Any suggestions that would be cheap.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
darbyjudy

Default What

What you mean I am the only one that has this noise problem. I was expecting someone to give me a good fix.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
zzrv

If you're talking about a rattle when the wind is blowing towards the drivers side, I have it also. I have not worked on THAT problem yet, but I plan on it. It is annoying. If I put my hand on the window, it stops. I believe it is simply the window flexing under those circumstances. Will let you know if I come up with a fix.

Ron
Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
darbyjudy

Default Wind Noise

Yes ron that is what I am talking about. If I am moving about 55 to 60 MPH, both passanger side and drivers side windows rattle from the glass flexing. We can just lay our hand on the glass and it will stop. I was wondering if you would install window film on it if it would stop the flexing. I wonder if the factory has a fix. But I don't know who to contact for this problem.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
zzrv

After reading your post, I went out to the MH and found it rattles wherever I tap on the window, even the fixed upper pane. The rubber seems to be in good shape, no apparent deterioration. I will try tightening all the screws around the window frame and see if that helps. You gave me a project for today.....as if I need another one.

Ron
Old 09-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
zzrv

Darby, here is what I found and I think to be the source of the rattle. The upper channel that the sliding window rides in has no weatherstripping or 'soft' channel to ride in. If you open your window, you will find that there is a LOT of vertical movement . The upper channel is very narrow, but I will check with my local RV shop tomorrow to see if he has any type of window weatherstripping channel that will fit in there.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
zzrv

I visited my local RV store and bought a couple feet of a window weather strip for a Newmar, but it was too thick. The channel is 7/32" and they didn't have anything that close. I will try a Home Depot and see if they have something that might fit.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
darbyjudy

Default Window noise

ZZRV I removed the screen and looked at the upper channel on mine and there is some kind of liner in it, it just doesn't hold the window very good. I was even thinking about putting something between the upper and lower channel and somehow apply a little pressure to the glass. all it takes it to lay your hand on the glass when it is rattling and it will stop. Really inbeleivable how nice and quiet it is when both myself and the wife have our hands on the glass. but that gets tiring after a short while. I wrote a short e-mail not to guldstream but I haven't heard from them yet. I am sure we are not the only ones who have this annoying problem.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #9
darbyjudy

Default still thinking

When I was a child I remember my father had a old plymouth car and on each of the side windows on the inside there was a spring loaded rubber roller that put pressure on the window. I guess it was to keep the window from rattling when he went down the road. I remember seeing them years ago being sold in the Auto after-market stores, like Western-Auto. I looked tonight and tried to find them on the internet but I guess they are not avaible anymore. Something like that would fix that rattle I am sure. Probably one at the botton and one at the top and it would stop the rattle.
Do any of the rest of you remember what I am talking about? I guess I am telling my age. That old Plymouth was probably a 1938.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:51 AM   #10
earljan34

I remember all to well ! But I have not seen them in years
I guess I'm dating myself (old) Back in the 50s you could find some aftermarket product to fix almost anything.

Earl

(PS are there any western auto stores left?)

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #11
zzrv

I admit, I remember them too.
I found a Western Auto in Ocean City, MD earlier this summer. They had compartment key blanks for my MH and I had three spares made up. Couldn't find anyone around here who could make those keys for me. Unfortunately, they are about 4 hours from here.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
Curt Krueger

Default Window Rattle

Hi,
The material you are looking for called anti-rattle and is available from JC Whitney. Might I suggest an easier fix after having had the same problem on a Sun Vayager.

I am sure you are familiar with velcro, well use just one side of the velcro,cut into a strip, not to wide as you must get it down inside of the channel. Push down into the gap with the adhesive side against the window and the fiber side will fill in the gap. No more rattle.

You won't need much length, maybe short pieces in a couple of places would be better.

Curt
Old 09-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #13
earljan34

On our 05 Sun Voyager a great source of noise is the plastic screen and frame the use on the cockpit windows, We don't get much noise when window 's are closed unless there is a cross wind then they flex and rattle. Just another cost cutting thing for GS.

Earl

Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
zzrv

I put Velcro (the hook side) on both sides of the upper channel as per Carl Krueger's suggestion. I put the sticky side on the channel, not the glass. Makes the window a bit more snug in the channel, but not too much harder to slide. I'll be taking it out next week, so will let you know how it works.

P.S. Darby, there was NO weatherstripping in the channel to begin with.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
earljan34

Well I will try that and see if it makes a difference, I don't want to bow the screens and cause another problem.

Earl

Old 09-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
zzrv

Well, seems like the Velcro in the upper window channel has solved the rattle problem. Only drove it about 20 miles, but had no hint of a rattle. I'm leaving next week for a few weeks and will find out for sure if it worked. Will let you know.

Ron
Old 09-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #17
darbyjudy

Default Velcro in window channel

Thanks for the post Ron, I will get out the velcro and install it in mine also.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #18
zzrv

Well, I'm back after 600+ miles, and I'm happy to report the Velcro fix worked. No Hint of a rattle or wind noise.