Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Fl Mike

Default Damaged it already

While putting the TM back I struck a brick flower box with a right side storage door.

Any idea what a new door would cost?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
David Bott

Sorry to say I am not sure, but the IMG tag you used above will not work for it is not an actual image but a web page with the image on it.

You would need to contact your local TM dealer that also has a body shop. Good luck with the repair.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
mfa

The way things are nowadays, it's probably a few hundred dollars. Hopefully your insurance will pay for some of it...
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Arthur Hayes

I had to replace a compartment door about a year and a half ago, the price of the door was $1200.00. That was before installation and paint. It is not cheap, but the job was done on schedule and the results were excellent. Had it done at Master Tech RV in Indiana.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
RJ82much

That is probably a realistic fee for a new compartment door. A compartment door that I scraped on a bridge abutment had to be repaired. For other reasons, my dealer repaired it at GS's expense. The job was horrible, didn't match, and the "swirls" were Micky Mouse.

Eventually, all my compartment doors were warrantee replaced, along with the damaged one. I never was told what the expense was, but you have to be aware that the whole stringe of doors must be removed to change one (unless you have the new designed, side opening ones). The labor won't be cheap, unless performed by a shop that knows just what to do.

Good Luck - It hurts, I know.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
rdlamb

Art is correct, cost will be around $1500.

Had to have repairs after a deer committed suicide under my 60mph forward moving coach. The factory rep was driving my coach to the dealer, so repairs were not my expense. But, got to see the final bill and, Art is correct.
sorry

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
RJ82much

Just looked at your picture.... euwwww, nasty. The flowerpot won.

This is your large compaertment? Unless you are comfortable spending the kind of $'s mentioned (& I'm sure it will be at least what the other's have talked about), you might talk with a good auto body shop in your area, though I caution you that you will never be happy because it will never be perfect.

GS keeps that background color recipe secret (it's the same as mine) though the body shop will match it. I'm still not sure if the swirls are masked & painted, or "stickers", but the local shop that did mine merely matched the color, masked, & painted. Your real problem is the ding to the aluminum. The local shop may be able to repair it, perhaps fill it.

The unfortunate part is that the trim strip above your doors must be removed in order to access the hinge pin. (so they told me) All forward compartment doors must be removed in order to remove the damaged one. A local shop may be able to repair without removing the door.

It just seems like an awful lot of money for what amounts to a rolled piece of aluminum. That said, I'll never forget the sickening feeling when I did that to mine on my first trip out.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 05-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
RJ82much

Mike,

For a little more info about your repair, read the thread at http://www.gsowners.com/viewtopic.ph...highlight=mike.

Mike's Custom is THE place to have the painting done if you have any plans on traveling north. I understand they have several locations and do lease a building right within GS's factory complex. In addition to painting my doors (perfectly), they applied custom decals to the front of my coach while I was there.

OK, now I'll be quiet for a while!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 05-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
djqualls

MasterTech in Elkhart can fix it and do a great job. I had much more damage on my 06 Tourmaster and they did all the paint and repair and did it timely and reasonably even though they knew they had a "Blank Check" to fix it right.

Call Tim and talk to him there.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #10
holmesaw

I damaged 2 of my rear doors coming out of a driveway that was too steep. It cost $2500 for 2 new doors. They will not repair them, just replace.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
darbyjudy

Default my solution

I backed into a water pipe last year and split my rear bumper. I remembered a fellow that did work for the used car dealer I used to work for. I called him and he came to the house, repaired the split with fiberglass and then mixed the paint to match my color. Painted it, clearcoated it and you cannot see where the repair was made. Cost was $150.00. So you might try that method.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #12
rob

Default damaged two doors

I just got hit on the ds and it damaged the fender well and two doors, i can't even get a quote from a dealer, it has been two weeks now and they can't get a responce from the factory on the parts.
Not to sure what to do or how to go about this. The insurance wants to get this settled but I am getting know where with this.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #13
darbyjudy

Default Sorry about your accident

Rob I am sorry to hear about your accident. I don't know why it should take so long for the dealer to get prices on the parts unless they are not available. Are the parts so bad that they cannot be repaired?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #14
rdlamb

Rob:
I do not know where you are located, but....
When similar problems arose, I called a local body shop, who informed me they did not do RV repair, but referred me to a shop that did that repair.
I moved on to the recommended shop, and they gave me an estimate on fixing the RV.
My insurance covered the repair, less deductible.
Otherwise, my dealer was also unhelpful, and I would still be waiting for a repair if I had not moved on.
You also may call several dealers in your area, asking for recommendations on body shops that they use/recommend.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote