Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
tarheel

Default Full Size Refrigerator In Tourmaster - Need Advice

I just purchased a new 2007 Tourmaster 40 A with a full size residential refrigerator that runs on electric only (or through the inverter). I had fully charged batteries when I left the dealership and after about 4 hours, I noticed that my amerage from the inverter had dropped to slightly over 11 amps. I then started the generator.

We do a lot of traveling in our rig and quite a bit of dry camping while doing so. Looking for experiences as to how others handle the operation of this type refrigerator. How low do you permit your batteries to drop?

Dick Owens
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
hyall

I believe we have the same frig, but I can run little over 7 hrs before the autogen start kicks in at a low reading 11.5 v by itself no tv etc

Russ
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
GO BLUE

I've had my 07 for three years now and last fall I noticed low batteries after 4 hours.....put in gel cell golf cart batteries from interstate once I'm fully charged I can run a couple of days on batteries......even though your 07 is new to you if those batteries have discharged over the years they are probably shot jim k
Old 03-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
tarheel

Thanks Jim, you're probably right about the batteries needing replaced, I'm ging to keep a close watch on them. May even replace them now. They had to replace the chassis batteries when I bought it because they were bulged out on the sides.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
David Bott

Welcome to the site Dick...

Not clear in your post, but where you driving for 4 hours and then stopped? I ask for if you were, your batteries should remain charged when the engine is running as the inverter batteries are changed from the engine also. Example, we drive 6 hours and stop, if I check my batteries, they are full. So if you were driving, you also may have a charging issue and that would be found in the relays.

If you were stopped for 4 hours, yes, I would suspect the batteries. We run overnight without issue.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
tarheel

Thanks David. I've spent all morning looking at batteries and checking on gel batteries and AGM's. I thought that before I bought anything, I would talk to the technical people at East Peen (the company that made my present batteries). As soon as I told him this coach had been sitting around for almost three years, he said that my present batteries were no good and I should replace them (same thing I thought).

We talked about the other choices, gel and AGM, and I found out that the AGM's wouldn't give me much more that the original batteries when they were new, except that they were sealed and would not have to worry about maintenance. He said the gel battery would require a change in my inverter/charger to set up a proper charge rate in order to keep from damaging the gel batteries.

Having gone through all of this, I believe I'm going to try a set of 4 Trojan 6V T-105 batteries. Reason being that the local Club Car golf cart dealer is a golfing buddy of mine and the price is about half of anything else I've looked at today. If they don't work out, then I'm only out the price of one gel battery.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Chuck v

Dick,

You might also check on the price for the T-125 and the T-145 Trojan batteries through your friend, as they have about 107% and 116% of the capacity of the T-105 units. The one caution is that the T-145 is about 3/4 inch taller than the other two of these Trojan cart batteries, but that should not be an issue in your TM. It is all about cost/performance, so if the price increase is more than the capacity increase then just go with the T-105 batteries.

The T-145 is ten pounds heavier than the T-105 at 72 pounds each versus the smaller battery's 62 pounds. the T-125 is of course in between at 66 pounds each.

I have had very good luck with Trojan brand batteries in my travel trailer, my Electric Gator utility vehicle by Deere, and my Club Car cart (although those are the 8 volt T-860 units...) and will definitely consider them when it comes time for me to replace the coach batteries in my motor home. Interstate is another brand that you can rely on in these deep cycle style batteries.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
tarheel

Chuck-
My buddy does not stock anything other than the Trojan 115 and will have to special order the other sizes. The cost increase vs. output is not proportionate, but I believe that I will have him order the 145's after I make sure there is not an issue with the cables and the height. If I did the math correct, it looks like I can get about 26% more output for 50% additional cost. I want to be sure that I have enough capacity for the refrigerator.

I'm not going to rule out the gel battery until I talk to the manufacturer of my inverter/charger to see how it's charging capabilities will deal with them without damaging the batteries. As Jim stated above, he is successfully using the gel batteries in the same setup and it would be great to be able to go a couple of days on the inverter as he stated.

Dick
Old 04-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
William Campbell

Default Re: Full Size Refrigerator In Tourmaster - Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel
I just purchased a new 2007 Tourmaster 40 A with a full size residential refrigerator that runs on electric only (or through the inverter). I had fully charged batteries when I left the dealership and after about 4 hours, I noticed that my amerage from the inverter had dropped to slightly over 11 amps. I then started the generator.

We do a lot of traveling in our rig and quite a bit of dry camping while doing so. Looking for experiences as to how others handle the operation of this type refrigerator. How low do you permit your batteries to drop?

Dick Owens
Check your 6 volt batteries for a dead cell. I also have a 20027 40A and the best time I get on the inverter is 6 hours. I replaced all the batteries last year at Bolling Green FMCA Convention. When you are driving, the alternator will keep all the batteries charged. You might consider solar. you will need 100 watts for each battery. I found this to be expensive so I just find parks with electric or run the generator.
Bill
William Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
tarheel

Bill-
What size and kind of batteries did you replace the originals with? Are you only getting 6 hrs. on your inverter with your new batteries or was it before the change?
Thanks,
Dick
Old 04-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
GO BLUE

Dick just to be sure we have the same....I have 4 6volt batteries that are invertor only and then 2 12volts for the chassis and 2 more 12volts just for the motor.....I have changed out both the 4-6volts and 2-12volts for the chassis....the engine batteries are original and still good....and yes they do charge up when plugged in I also use a battery tender for those .....also I have dry camped at a race track for over 24 hours with out starting gen or engine...... jim k
Old 04-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #12
tarheel

Jim-
We have the same setup on batteries. Did you have to do anything in the way of reprograming your inverter/charger for the gel batteries. I've read several reports and talked to a battery factory rep yesterday about the gel batteries and have been told that they will damage easily unless I have the proper charging rate and would probably have to have the charger recalibrated.

Do you also have the full size electric only refrigerator in your unit? I would sure like to install batteries that I wouldn't have to worry about the all electric refrigerator.

Dick
Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
rayanah

Default Re: Full Size Refrigerator In Tourmaster - Need Advice

great information shared.
rayanah is offline   Reply With Quote