Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
leeso

Default Tire replacement - whats the options?

Hi All and happy new year!

I am currently running Michelin XRV tires, 235/80/22.5 on my Workhorse based MH. They need replacing pretty soon and I was just wondering if there is an reasonable alternative to the Michelins?

You thoughts and experiences please.
leeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Chuck

You can go with a 245/75R22.5 Goodyear G670 RV in LoadRange G. I'm replacing my Michelins with these in the spring. It has antioxidant and antiozonant compounds that protect against the sidewall cracking I have experienced with the Michelins.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
RayChez1

I have the 22.5 and I used to have the Michelins XRV's on mine also 255x80, so when I replace them I went with Toyo tires 265x75 16PR. For six tires they were like six hundred dollars cheaper then the Michelins XRV and a much better tire. I had them balance with Equal and had the proper filtered valve stems installed. I have had them now for two years and it is the smoothest tire I could have bought and they are wearing perfect. I highly recommend them.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
J79 Engine

Default 2005 Work Horse Sun Voyager Motor Home

I just accepted my work horse from the dealer with his promise the shaking of the steering wheel would go away by the time we got home, 25 miles away. The steering wheel shook harder as speed increased. I took the Motor Home back and today they have it towed to a tire shop to replace the front two tires, that were discovered cupped and perform an alignment on it. It sat in Michigan for at least a year before it was traded in so maybe that is what cupped the tires. I'm glad I stayed with a trusted Dealer so they are fixing the problem but wished they would have road tested it before they sold it to me as I asked them to do while they were performing the brake wheel cylinder recall.
J79 Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
RayChez1

Cupping is caused by having bad shock absorbers. The wheel bounces like a basketball and when it hits the asphalt it will wear a spot. Also wheels that are out of balance will cause cupping.
But just because it sat for a long time will not cause cupping.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Midniteoyl

Have them really look at the front end. Cups or scalloped dips appearing around the edge of the tread on one side or the other, almost always indicate worn (sometimes bent) suspension parts. Adjustment of wheel alignment alone will seldom cure the problem. Any worn component that connects the wheel to the car (ball joint, wheel bearing, shock absorber, springs, bushings, etc.) can cause this condition. Worn components should be replaced with new ones. The worn tire should be balanced and possibly moved to a different location on the car. Occasionally, wheels that are out of balance will wear like this, but wheel imbalance usually shows up as bald spots between the outside edges and center of the tread.

'89 Sun Vista Hi-Rise
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote