Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
lyndanelson2000

Default 2008 Tourmaster owners manuals.

Just bought a 2008 Tourmaster 40C. There where no manuals with it. Where can I get some? The 40 page one that is downloadable doesn't cover much. Thanks!
lyndanelson2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: 2008 Tourmaster owners manuals.

Welcome to owning a great floorplan of this motorhome -- mine has had its share of minor aches and pains that would accompany any other "house" with similar appliances and systems but overall has been meeting and sometimes exceeding my expectations. I live in my unit two months out of every three -- because I work in an adjacent state to where my home is located.

My 2007 Tour Master also did not come with any more of a Gulf Stream-published manual than the one you can find on-line. However, I also have the Freightliner RV chassis operator's and maintenance manual, an engine manual from Mercedes, Allison transmission manual, PowerGear slide out and hydraulic leveler manuals, diesel generator manual, and a large number of appliance manuals for the residential refrigerator, washer, dryer, range, microwave, water heater, furnaces, air conditioners, power converter, inverter and a few more.

Altogether, this is about a 3 to 4 inch stack of literature...much of it can be found on-line if you have the model numbers of your equipment.

What engine is in your T-40C and how many miles are on the unit? What is the date code on your tires? (this is something to check right away as it impacts the safety of you and your family...)

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
RayChez1

Congratulations on your purchase of a 2008 TourMaster. We have several in our Gulf Stream club here in California. Seems like they are pretty good coaches.

You know I bought my coach brand new in 2003 which is the Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser and it has been a great coach. I got all the manuals with mine, but I hardly have opened the manual. About the only thing that I have opened is the engine manual which on mine is the Caterpillar manual and the only reason why I open it up is to keep track of my oil and filter changes. The chassis manual I also keep notes on air filter changes, and fuel filter changes. But other then that I have not had to use my manual and all that literature that comes on a box full of information of every little thing that was installed on my coach. Everything from the toilets to the furnaces. I never have had to use them. Maybe you will be just as lucky to have minimal problems with your coach.

Good luck!
RayChez
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
lyndanelson2000

Chuck v. Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to buy new tires. It has 27000 miles. Just had oil change, 330 Mercedes. And gen oil change, Cat 7.5. Going to have the other fluids changed so I can start fresh with everything. I had it dewinterized but I want to sanitize the drinking tank. How do I do that. Can't figure out how to get bleach into the system. Really appreciate the responses from others!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
lyndanelson2000

RayChez1, thank you for your post. It is greatly appreciated. I'm not having any problems yet, just trying to learn everything. I will be living in my coach and traveling by next year and want to get everything ship shape by then. It's good to know there are nice people on this site to help. Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
Chuck v

I never have had to do it, as I live in my rig year round (away for not more than a few weeks at a time and keep the heat on in winter.) However there is plenty of information on the web about how to do it, such as this:

http://www.rvuniversity.com/article....80304122639649

Chuck

Old 04-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #7
lyndanelson2000

Chuck, Thanks, I know what to do I just don't know how to get the bleach water into the tank. I can't find a place to get it into the rank. I am going out tomorrow and look again. It rained all day today. Hopefully I can figure it out. Thanks again for your help. It's greatly appreciated! Lynda.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #8
RayChez1

What I do to get the bleach into the tank is to pour the bleach into the water hose that you use for filling up the water tank. Connect the hose and turn the water on. On mine you also have to turn a ball valve on the opposite side of the coach where the manifold is located and that is to fill the water tank. When you finish filling it up, you turn it back so that you can have direct flow from a spigot to your faucet.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
lyndanelson2000

Ray, thanks, I'll try that. On the manifold the cold has to be turned off on the water heater and the hot on to bypass the heater, right?
Old 04-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #10
RayChez1

I am not sure what you are talking about when you mention the water heater. On my coach there is a ball valve with a handle about four inches long. When it is in the vertical position it is to direct the water straight from the spigot from the park water straight to the faucets and toilets, showers. When the valve is in the horizontal position it is for filling the water tank. If you have the hose connected to fill the tank and the water turned on, you can hear the water rushing into the tank as soon as you turn that ball valve on for filling.

Now once you fill up the fresh water tank, then you go inside the coach and you open the hot water valve on the bathroom lavatory and get the air out of the system from the hot water tank filling up. Air will come out at first and then you will get water. Same on the kitchen sink.

Let the bleach run through the hot water heater and all your lines.

You will smell the bleach until you finish that water that is in the tanks, but bleach is not going to hurt you. Drink bottled water until it all clears out through use of the toilet washing cloths on the washer and kitchen use. The thing is the fresh water tank and water heater are getting sterilized.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-22-2016, 11:23 PM   #11
Chuck v

The Tour Master coaches have a ManaBloc water manifold in the bay that has the pump and filter unit...it does say to turn the water heater cold source off and the hot on to 'bypass' the heater. Here is a thread from about three years ago with pictures -- interesting that RayChez1 did not relate to the later setup then either, clearly his coach works differently.

http://www.gsowners.com/viewtopic.ph...=2809&start=15

..the posting in this thread by GStream40 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 am has a very clear picture...

Chuck

Old 04-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
lyndanelson2000

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #13
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v
The Tour Master coaches have a ManaBloc water manifold in the bay that has the pump and filter unit...it does say to turn the water heater cold source off and the hot on to 'bypass' the heater. Here is a thread from about three years ago with pictures -- interesting that RayChez1 did not relate to the later setup then either, clearly his coach works differently.

http://www.gsowners.com/viewtopic.ph...=2809&start=15

..the posting in this thread by GStream40 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 am has a very clear picture...

Chuck

Chuck, mine has the exact manifold that is shown on the picture from the link you pointed out. But that does not have anything to do with sterilizing every water tank on the coach. I am sure that everybody sterilizes both the fresh and hot water tanks because the water will start stinking up the whole system does not matter which tank it is in.

Now as to valve number #9 mentioned on the link. What they are giving is an example like lets say you have a water leak on your hot water tank. Well instead of flooding your bays, you just close the #9 valve and by pass the water leak or if it is on the cold water line then you close the blue valve.

But on mine if you look at the picture to the left there is like a square hole cut out. On mine there is no cut off square hole, but just a flat surface with a ball valve handle where you control the water coming into the coach from the park spigot. It it is vertical you have direct water from the spigot to the coach. If it is in a horizontal position you have it to fill the fresh water tank from the spigot.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
Chuck v

Ray,

Thanks for the clarifications. As with all of my written communications, these posts are likely to have some nuances missing and I hope I did not mislead or offend anyone. I was reviewing that older thread because I recently found my electric heating element to have failed and am on propane hot water until it goes into the shop next week...

You are right that my 2007 coach does not have a similar ball valve to directly fill the fresh tank from the shore water supply -- I only use the gravity water inlet fitting behind the small water services door on the driver's side of the coach.

I believe that the ManaBloc's so-called water heater bypass notations are for winterizing the system and might allow keeping antifreeze out of the drained water heater (but I have been wrong about such things where I don't have direct experience.) I thought that Lynda might have been asking about reversing this bypass since the thread started out discussing how to sanitize the tank after "de-winterizing" the new-to-her coach.

Chuck

Old 04-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
lyndanelson2000

Chuck v and Ray, I want to thank both of you for your help. I'm finally figuring some things out and it's great to know I have great people out there to help me. Hopefully someday I can pay it forward to others! Thanks guys! Lynda
Old 04-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #16
RayChez1

Chuck, here is a picture of my system with the manifold and ball valve.

Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #17
Chuck v

Ray,

Yes that ball valve is not fitted to my 2007 Tour Master (but the rectangular cutout in the wall cover is still there...)

On an unrelated topic, and since I live in my unit year round -- I found that during an exceptionally cold spell the water in the pump tended to freeze. Not only is this due to not having any water flowing through it on a regular basis (I use an electrically heated supply hose from the insulated ground hydrant at my slip and therefore use pressure water from the RV park...) but also because that particular bay section is fairly well isolated from the basement heat due to the arrangement of the partitions. What I did was to put a "goldenrod" heater as used in gun safes along the floor just under the manifold...it only draws about 20 watts and gives a gentle and steady heat when I have any concerns about the outside temperature here.

Since there are many climates that get much colder than where I am, what do other year-round coach users do for this isolated bay in terms of freeze prevention/heat??

Chuck

Old 04-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #18
RayChez1

On my coach that bay is heated with heat coming from a four inch hose that comes from the furnace. So if you full time and you have a furnace set at lets say 70 degrees, that compartment is going to be warm enough to where nothing will freeze.

I have taken my coach a couple of times to Colorado and Utah in the winter where the weather drops to below zero and I have never had a line freeze in my coach. Now that is dry camping, if I was in an RV park then I would have to take the hose off at night to keep the hose from freezing or insulate the hose. But I have never done that.

This coach of mine they went wild insulating it with foam. The whole underside of the floor is insulated with about two to four inches of foam. Even the fender wells are full of that foam. I tried to change a tail light bulb that burned up and it was a job digging through four inches of foam to get to it from the back of the light. So it has been nice as far as to keeping the coach warm, but hard if you have to look for something that was covered up and needs maintenance.

I thought you had heated compartments on your coach? I know that my friends in our club that have TM have heated floors.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 04-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #19
Chuck v

Ray,

Yes my basement bays are heated and I was surprised to find the water pump frozen that one time. I just wrote it off to the lack of circulation in that area on that side of the partition and being so close to the bay door... It was also during a time when I was using electric oil-filled space heaters to augment my interior heating to keep the noise down when I slept and that certainly could have been a factor in allowing the basement bays to be cooler than normal. My basement heat ducts are much smaller than the ones in the living spaces and are about 2 inches in diameter, made of a heavy foil over a spring wire open coil just like the larger sizes of ducts.

I have also heard of winter coach users having the filtered water line to the residential refrigerator ice maker freezing on occasion -- can't recall if that was while moving at speed (which would increase the wind chill on the outer coach body panels) or while parked. THAT has never happened on my coach -- at least not yet (probably should not have typed that out loud -- )

Chuck