Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
CBarnes

Default New with a question

My Wife and I are looking at a 2014 Gulfstream visa 23RBK it has not been on the road in 3 years has not been used much at all but has been exposed to the elements unprotected the entire time. Floors are solid no smells no signs of mold ect all the caulking on the lower areas loos intact with no cracks or shrinkage. Any help with your experience with this unit would be great our other choice is a 2016 J flight slx that is 2 grand less
CBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Restorium

Always look closely at the roof. That's where a lot of problems start.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
CBarnes

Thank you aside from looking for cracks in the sealant and any bubbles or waves in the fiberglass any other tips?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
Restorium

How old the tires are. Over 10 years old, no matter how good they look, they need to be replaced. When I replaced the duals on the back, when on the road, it cost me $1600.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
CBarnes

it is a 2014 so they should be 4 or 5 years old they have been sitting on a concrete pad for a few years
Old 08-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
JimG

I have a 23RBK i bought new. First, the tires did not she well at all. Within 2 years they had turned yellow and severely checked. I live in Michigan so no strong sun, they were protected and air pressure closely monitored. Just bad tires.

The other issue is that #%+&@! Domestic refer. POS. It would not cool to the Safe range in refer or freezer. I ended up with General RV (not where I bought it, my selling dealer wouldn't even try) going to bat with Dometic for me. They tested the unit reported it would not cool to Dometic who finally sent an 'insider's version, same model, which barely gets there in Michigan summers

That said just watch the roof vent covers. My bath unit just splintered and I replaced it.

Overall, we DO like our trailer. It tows well and easily lightly loaded behind our Ford Flex with factory Class III package. Quite livable for the two of us and an occasional grandchild. As long as you can live with a spartan wardrobe closet/bin storage works fine for us. Despite the diminutive size all the interior facilities are sufficient in size to be quite livable. I Protect all was it at least once per season and it still shines.

No seam issues so far (keep in mind you cannot climb on the roof) and the roof and walls are solid.

I think you would like it....a lot.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
muleman

Default Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarnes View Post
My Wife and I are looking at a 2014 Gulfstream visa 23RBK it has not been on the road in 3 years has not been used much at all but has been exposed to the elements unprotected the entire time. Floors are solid no smells no signs of mold ect all the caulking on the lower areas loos intact with no cracks or shrinkage. Any help with your experience with this unit would be great our other choice is a 2016 J flight slx that is 2 grand less
I have a 2015 vista cruiser so far very good luck I am still running original tires have gotten several thousand miles on them. All in all we are very happy with it. We did buy a new 3/4 ton chevy cargo van to pull with so we have all the back of the van for pantry area and clothes closet on lengthy trips in it. Only problem I have had so far is one of vents on roof breaking in hail storm.
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
CBarnes

Thanks everyone we bought it and so far have not found anything wrong. the tires look good even after sitting for nearly a year. all the seals look good and the vents look ok the seller installed vent covers over them the day we picked it up.