Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class B+
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2023, 03:47 PM   #1
4thek9s!

Default Help newbie!

A friend purchased a 2006 BT Cruiser M-5291 and I am trying to help her with some issues.
The manual does not explain things so I can understand it!!!! First, it has a coach battery, so how does that get charged? Does it charge when it is plugged into power or maybe when the generator is running?

Like I said a newbie, and had not salesman to explain things in detail.

If anyone has a minute can you help?
4thek9s! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:02 PM   #2
renman43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thek9s! View Post
A friend purchased a 2006 BT Cruiser M-5291 and I am trying to help her with some issues.
The manual does not explain things so I can understand it!!!! First, it has a coach battery, so how does that get charged? Does it charge when it is plugged into power or maybe when the generator is running?

Like I said a newbie, and had not salesman to explain things in detail.

If anyone has a minute can you help?
If the converter is working, the inshore batteries will charge by being plugged in to house power. They also can charge while driving.
renman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 12:10 PM   #3
Mike1931

And also charge if generator is running.
If it were me I would disconnect the battery and test it for voltage level.
Then put it on a trickle charger over night (slow Charge) disconnect charger in morning. Get another voltage reading, then wait another couple hours and see what the battery voltage reading is. If it drops off quite a bit from the full charged voltage, 12.5 volts of below. It’s time to have it replaced.
Side note: Costco has the best prices and warranty! Although you have to do the replacement yourself.
Mike Root
Tulalip Washington
35 Miles Northwest of
Seattle
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:38 PM   #4
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Mike, let me help clarify all batteries will show higher voltage from the Charger, it is called "surface charge" and will disappear/ dissipate to show actual after about 30-minutes. After that 30-minutes, 95%-100% charge= 12.6-12.7vdc, where 12.0.-12.1=50% charged.

4theK9s, the coach will charge thru CONVERTER/CHARGER whenever 120vac is available, whether shoreline cord or generator, but also from engine alternator when driving. iF YOU PLUG IN, no trickle charger should be needed, as long as the BATTERY IS GOOD AND BATTERY SWITCH is turned ON. The CONVERTER will do the charging. Battery switch should only be OFF if stored without shoreline power. Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:03 PM   #5
Mike1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Mike, let me help clarify all batteries will show higher voltage from the Charger, it is called "surface charge" and will disappear/ dissipate to show actual after about 30-minutes. After that 30-minutes, 95%-100% charge= 12.6-12.7vdc, where 12.0.-12.1=50% charged.

4theK9s, the coach will charge thru CONVERTER/CHARGER whenever 120vac is available, whether shoreline cord or generator, but also from engine alternator when driving. iF YOU PLUG IN, no trickle charger should be needed, as long as the BATTERY IS GOOD AND BATTERY SWITCH is turned ON. The CONVERTER will do the charging. Battery switch should only be OFF if stored without shoreline power. Hope this helps.
You are absolutely correct! I was attempting to make it a fairly easy way to isolate the battery(s) from other power sources. Once trickle charged, and voltage checked with trickle charger removed, it will tell you more with this at home test than taking the battery in question out to a shop to get it tested. Then you check voltage next morning, if it’s below 12.5 then it had failed the test. Time for a new battery.
Batteries will only take so many charge cycles before the start to take a nose dive.
Then theirs the issue of what water may have been added, if it’s not a lead acid battery it’s still on the life time charge and discharge cycles…
And this is the way I’ve always checked my batteries.
Please test the way you want to.
Mike Root
Tulalip Washington
35 Miles Northwest of
Seattle
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:10 AM   #6
RY469

If you want a positive (immediate) test for batteries, get a load tester. Inexpensive digital ones exist, and are easy to use. Main parameter to pay attention to for an indicator of battery health is CCA. Most batteries being used in RV's have this rating stamped on them. Some "true" deep cycle will not, but the tester will still provide a health check for you. Just turn off your charger (pull shore power and/or disconnect the battery negative cable) then connect the tester, takes just a few seconds to do test. My 2-cents.

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-BA101-P...ef_=ast_sto_dp
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 10:06 AM   #7
4thek9s!

Thank you so very much!
4thek9s! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 10:32 AM   #8
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

(Except) even a LOAD TEST is not accurate if battery is not charged, thus CHARGE FIRST.... so not always "Immediate" if charge needed before test.
Old 07-16-2023, 11:04 AM   #9
RY469

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
(Except) even a LOAD TEST is not accurate if battery is not charged, thus CHARGE FIRST.... so not always "Immediate" if charge needed before test.

Yup, that's a given. Like test driving a car with empty gas tank.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote