Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
ULL7ofM

Default Electrical issue?

I have a 1995 Scenic Cruiser, yesterday the coach battery burned off the positive post. It totally shut down everything. We replaced the batteries, but as we were driving the dash instruments, lights blinked out and something is still wrong. Where is the problem coming from?
ULL7ofM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
Restorium

First, what did you think the reason was for the post burning off?
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Chuck v

First, as I am unfamiliar with your model and year -- is your coach battery a single 12 volt battery or does it have two in parallel? Also by coach are you referring to the chassis/engine start battery or the 'house' battery that runs the lights, etc.? Presuming the first case, since that would be the source of the dash instruments. If the chassis battery is one of a pair in parallel, then be sure to replace them both at the same time with the same size/model/age battery as charging lead-acid batteries in parallel is a tricky issue, and the battery without the burned post/connection could have an internally shorted cell that is dragging the 'new' battery down. I have a friend that replaced only one battery of a pair in his 5th wheel and ended up calling the fire department/hazmat team to his campsite to remove the overheating battery before it caught fire.

Pictures and more information will help us help you...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
First, as I am unfamiliar with your model and year -- is your coach battery a single 12 volt battery or does it have two in parallel? Also by coach are you referring to the chassis/engine start battery or the 'house' battery that runs the lights, etc.? Presuming the first case, since that would be the source of the dash instruments. If the chassis battery is one of a pair in parallel, then be sure to replace them both at the same time with the same size/model/age battery as charging lead-acid batteries in parallel is a tricky issue, and the battery without the burned post/connection could have an internally shorted cell that is dragging the 'new' battery down. I have a friend that replaced only one battery of a pair in his 5th wheel and ended up calling the fire department/hazmat team to his campsite to remove the overheating battery before it caught fire.

Pictures and more information will help us help you...

Chuck

Well Chuck, he aid he changed the "batteries". I think he changed them all. It's a direct short to ground somewhere and I would first look at the main battery cables. To actually burn off a post the current had to be max. I suggest looking for another burn spot where the short is. I would also consider disconnecting the coach converter/charger to see if the problems go away.

Sudsy
Old 06-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

(My thought) is that a melted post is high current on a corroded/ loose battery terminal that is arcing; (same as a melted plug/ receptacle w/ 120vac); anything (other than) to the direct connection to the starter solenoid (should be fused/ fusible link). If the melted post was caused by EXCESSIVE current without a loose/ corroded battery terminal, the cable should exhibit some evidence of overheat; if so, check for loose/ damaged wires down by the starter.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Wolffiss

Did you change 1 of the 2 batteries. Always buy 2 batteries of the same kind. Did you hook them up correctly if you did change them.
Wolffiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:36 AM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

(Further thought) Sounds like a battery B+ grounding out; in chassis/ engine area, goes straight to starter/ solenoid, so I would start w/ visual there, also look for loose nuts/ connections? In coach battery, eerything should be connected/ protected by fusible links?