Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-31-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
Big Shasta

Default 06 Gulf Stream Cat C7 Excessive Slobber

We bought our coach in July from a dealer in Orlando. I drove it home (250 miles) with no noticeable issues....at that time I was parking on the neighbors dirt RV spot since they weren't using it anymore. Then about a month later my concrete pad was finished. After our next camping trip, I noticed an oil spot under the slobber tube (mine is extended to just in front of the hitch). I researched and put a catch bottle on it.

A couple more camping trips and 1 hurricane evacuation and I noticed It was full a couple times.

So after lots of research I drained the oil and the filter an measured the output. I was able to get out 25 qts and I know I dumped the catch bottle at least twice. so easily 26+ qts came out. That explains it. I keep seeing that 19 qts is the number for this short sump C7. Refilled it but haven't taken it for a drive yet. I did start it and get great oil pressure. I'm hoping that's all it was and no seals are damaged.

The dealer changed the oil right before I picked it up, they even dated and signed the filter.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Frutza

Mine uses 19 qts, I would also have an analysis done, to make sure its all oil, I also have my trans oil checked
Don't try and push it to 10k miles, the CAT don't like it
Old 10-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Big Shasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Mine uses 19 qts, I would also have an analysis done, to make sure its all oil, I also have my trans oil checked
Don't try and push it to 10k miles, the CAT don't like it
I'm already on top of that. I use Blackstone for my cars at every oil change and will be sending in a sample from this engine even though it's only a couple months old.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #4
RayChez1

Those engines only use 19 quarts of oil. If you use the 24 quarts that they originally called for, it will spit it out the breather tube.

I have the 3126-E Cat which is the same as the C-7 and it never has had a slobber tube problem.

Cat sent out a revision notice to all original owners of C-7 with the shallow pan to use only 19 quarts of oil way back in 2003.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:21 AM   #5
Big Shasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
Those engines only use 19 quarts of oil. If you use the 24 quarts that they originally called for, it will spit it out the breather tube.

I have the 3126-E Cat which is the same as the C-7 and it never has had a slobber tube problem.

Cat sent out a revision notice to all original owners of C-7 with the shallow pan to use only 19 quarts of oil way back in 2003.
Unfortunately, the dealer I bought my coach from didn't check/know. We just went camping for veterans day weekend about an hour away and no more slobber...officially a closed issue.