Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
11B

Default Stink

I Have a 07 Friendship with Quad slides. After about three days of camping I get a oder right where the washing machine sits (Mid Coach below plantry). I don't know where it comes from but know its not in the bathroom which is close by. Anyone have any suggestions? I have put stuff down all the drains to clear the pee traps.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
earljan34

I seem to remember someone writing about a one way valve on the vent pipe that had fallen off and caused an odor like you described.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
earljan34

Just did a search and came up with this on page 4 of class A all the way to the bottom name of thread is "STINK CAPS" it was as I remembered
Hope this helps you.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
mfa

I'm not sure what you mean by "clear the pee traps." You do want water to be in the j-traps at all drains. If these dry out (or get sloshed out while traveling) you will get odorous gases backing up from your tanks through the drain.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
hyall

p-trap the figure of the drain, to trap water to seal out odor and bugs
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
rdlamb

Earl is probably correct, but I wonder if you have another thing to check.
Our Tour Master has "anti-siphon" valves on the water lines to the washer/dryer. They leaked, causing an odor that we had evaluated. No damage, to our coach. But the odor is your notice that something is amiss.

I would dig deeper into that area to see if your drain (the washer hooks into) is the source.
Safe travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
11B

I have picked up the vent caps and will install them this weekend, however I can't see where they will do any good when your parked and this is when I get the oder. Can you explain to me why they will help? As far as the Pee Traps go I put a deoderizer in all including the washer and dryer. I would think the traps and vents for the washer dryer are behind the water manifold in the basement and this would require a tear out but it would be worth it to get rid of the smell.

Once again thanks to all of you for your help.
400 Cummins Bad Milage
Old 03-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
11B

I installed the caps but still have the stink. Next is to look for the anti-siphon valve. I notice when I open the basement compartment where the water manifold is the smell is really strong. Is there and easy way to figure out where the anti-siphon valve might be without tearing the whole compartment to peaces. What will it look like when I find it and what do I need to do to fixit. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also I hope you all have a great Easter weekend and a Happy Green Guy Day.
400 Cummins Bad Milage
Old 03-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
RJ82much

Check our discussion under "plumbing" called "holding tank smells when traveling". Two of us have now reported the device called a sewer vent check vent missing. I sort of described what to look for in my my post indicated above.

You'll find a picture of the 1?" vent nearly at the bottom of this link page:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/autovent.html

Look for a small open plastic pipe stub with inside 1?" threads somewhere near a trap in the vicinity of the smell. Our smell was coming into a kitchen cabinet because of the wall openings under the entertainment center leading to the bathroom (whew) sink... It really was the bathroom sink even though the smell was coming into the kitchen.

If I recall, there are several of these vents located in your unit, all in hidden, out-of-the-way spots.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
hyall

Even in my shop (Plumbing contractor) studor vents are hand installed to keep from splitting the female adapter so I'm sure with the motion of the RV it will work loose and drop off into or behind the vanity or cabinets just screw back on
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
11B

Finally got to take a look at the venting on my motor home. Found the anti siphon valve behind the washing machine with the cap in place, But I noticed that the drain hose for the washing machine dumps in to a 1 1/2 inch black pipe on the same drain system but there is no cap it just hooks over the edge of the pipe. Couldn't tell if this is the problem but it would stand to reason that with no cap and the fact that it's on the gray water drain line that it could be the stink I'm looking for.

The question I have is do they build a cap for the washer hose to fit in or can I just make my own put it on the drain pipe seal around the drain where the hose fits in and call it a day? Or is there a reason it was left open with no cap.
400 Cummins Bad Milage