Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
nanahow

Default Airconditioner

We purchased aused 2004 Gulfstream. My question is when the ac is on and you close the main vent should there be a lot of air coming out of the little circular vents?
nanahow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
earljan34

First Welcome to the forum! Now I think you are referring to a duct system. Do you have the round outlets on the ceiling of the coach? If so and you are not getting any air or very little my guess would be some blockage in the duct or the air cond. is not set up for ducted air. It would help to know what model you have.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
nanahow

Default AC

I will go check model and get back to you
Old 06-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
nanahow

Default AC

It is a conquest classic
Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
mfa

By "close the main vent" I assume you mean close the shunt that lets you dump most of the blowing air straight down below the A/C unit.

When I close that, I can feel air coming out the other vents, but I wouldn't call it "a lot of air." There is one vent that I cannot feel any air coming out of. I haven't had the incentive yet to see if it's correctible or not.

I have a 2006 Ultra Super-C.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
nanahow

Default AC

have you had it checked by service?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
mfa

Frankly, in my case, it has been adequate enough that I just don't remember to do anything about it. I've got a trip coming up the end of June here in Florida, so if I get too hot, I'll probably be motivated to act on it.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
RJ82much

I've heard tales that the factory did not open the hole from the AC to the duct. That should be easy enough to check by dropping the AC cover (inside) & reaching, probing the holes out the side to the cieling ducts. You should have received documentation on the AC unit which will show what I'm referring to.

Apparently, in some units in their product line, the air only comes "straight down" & the holes for access remain plugged. Then I understand that maybe an installer forgets to remove the cover............

I'm only relaying 3rd hand information though.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

RJ is correct, but this is not only a GS problem.

On the 5th wheel we used to have when the installer cut the ductwork he just cut both sides and the top of the piece and bent it down, This restricted the air flow 50% or more. What I did was remove the inside AC cover and remove the cut pieces in the ductwork. I had to bend them up and down several times to get them to break off and remove them.

I also had to do this on our previous motorhome to the rear air conditioner ductwork.

Mine was first hand experience.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:01 AM   #10
earljan34

I had the same problem with the rear AC only mine only had the aluminum tape over the outlet to the duct work easy fix but I guess no one checked it at the factory or dealership! (I guess its called customer quality control like the old saying if you want it done right do it yourself!!!)

Earl

Old 06-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
nanahow

Default Air conditioner

Well went to dealer and we also had duct tape left over outlet 3 min fix.. you are right quality control plus the dealership did not check it before they sold us the unit
Old 07-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa
Frankly, in my case, it has been adequate enough that I just don't remember to do anything about it. I've got a trip coming up the end of June here in Florida, so if I get too hot, I'll probably be motivated to act on it.
I took the cover off of the vent in question. No obstructions were noted. There is air whizzing by in the duct above the vent. Just no incentive (back-pressure?) for some of it to come out this vent. This vent is right next to the AC unit. Since I view it as more important for the air in this duct to continue on and come out in the bedroom area, I didn't muck with the flow. [There are plenty of other vents in the living area plus the bypass "dump" if needed there.]
Old 07-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #13
The Old Guy

Default A/C

In our Endura they forgot to remove the cutouts needed to install the round vents. They were partially covering the vents.

Also important, if you have two A/C units, both main vents need to be closed for the round ones to be effective. That may be why mfa's air is just whizzing by.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #14
mfa

Default Re: A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy
In our Endura they forgot to remove the cutouts needed to install the round vents. They were partially covering the vents.

Also important, if you have two A/C units, both main vents need to be closed for the round ones to be effective. That may be why mfa's air is just whizzing by.
No, I just have a single unit.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
Michael58

Default Airconditioner

Hi All...

I'm a new GS 5290 owner and seem to have the same problems that everyone else is mentioning throughout this site. But my AC seems like it could blow harder for a 15000 btu. Ive actually had the coils freeze up a couple of times when it was 85-90 outside. I had the thermostat set so the unit just came on and it still froze up. I will take the cover off to see if holes were never punched out.

2 months into owning a GS and not very happy. One thing I can say is I'm a GM man and love the chevy. My 6.0 gets 10 to 12 on the highway doing 58-62mph on fairly hilly terrain.

If anyone has done any REAL towing with a 5290-5291- or so please let me know how you made out. We'll see what the future holds, until then we're going to enjoy the time on the road.

Michael
Michael58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
earljan34

Michael, Welcome to the forum I think we have all had some of the same problems seems like they do the AC on a Friday afternoon when everyone wants to go home (just my opinion ) it just seems like they rush and forget things. Hope you enjoy your new GS and have good luck with it ENJOY!!!!!!!

Earl

Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #17
Swanee

Send a message via Yahoo to Swanee
Default Low blow air ducts

Our 6340 sounds identical. I've thought there should be more air moving than waht there is also.
I know when air is on high and diverted to system (duct work) when you open it to direct dump the unit appreciates the relief I'd like to check the current. Also when unit is on low speed system seems to move more air through the ducts. When I get some of the other problems corrected this one's on the list

Mike
Swanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #18
Swanee

Send a message via Yahoo to Swanee
Default duct work

We have a 2006 Endura 6340. I have the same thing. Its on the need to do list there is only a slight air movement through the duct and the unit sounds extremely restricted. Lots of air and no place for it to go. Ill keep you posted on what I find. Currently it is getting slide leaks stopped at Camping world.

Mike
Swanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
Texas TC

When I first got my SuperNova, I had to low air flow issue. There turned out to be two problems, both repaired under warranty. One outlet, like someone mentioned before had the cutout left in the hole when the surface diverter was installed. It had to be removed. The second and main problem was that the plenum that was attached to the air handler had come loose. The dealer technician reinstalled and it has worked great since. All the air was being lost in the area between the padded roof and the fiberglass roof. Now it goes through the proper plenum and out the openings as designed.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote