Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
brains77396

Default 23RBK Air Con

Just finished our two week Texas vacation today. We did not have a single day with a heat index below 100. On our travel days, it would take the A/C until 9 or 10 P.M. to cool the trailer. Once it got it cool, it would be OK until another day of travel. It doesn't take much thought to determine that a 11 BTU A/C unit is too small for a 23 ft T/T. I told the wife if we ever had to replace it, it would be with a 13.5 unit. The second night it would put out enough cold air we had to sleep under a sheet and lite blanket. Lucky for us, we stayed in all our stops but one for several days. I don't know if this is a design flaw or the Texas weather was just too much. I think this will be the last July trip. We'll move it up to June and see if we can beat some of the heat. Other that being hot, the trailer worked flawlessly. Even the fridge door stayed closed.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
KristinU

Default Re: 23RBK Air Con

You know, I think that is the nature of the beast in hot climates in the summer. I was just talking with a friend who has a 32 foot Jayco TT about summer trips to the south. He said last year when they were in GA and FL the TT took quite a while to cool at night once they stopped, so he suggested stopping earlier rather than later to let the A/C work on cooling it down to a comfortable temperature for sleeping...as kind of something to build into your travel itinerary when traveling in the summer in the south.

Glad there were no milk incidents this time 'round! I think of your post every time I put the milk away in the camper...and usually put a 1/2 gallon in the door in those little flange things. Luckily the milk we buy has those little screw tops on thge cartons, so I feel safer with that too...and I think that our fridge latch works well, which is the main issue I guess!

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
My camping party: Me ('71), DH ('70), DS ('04), DK9 ('11)
https://www.visaadventures.blogspot.com
https://www.visacampers.proboards.com
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
jandmz

We just completed a few days in our 23RBK at 100+ heat indices.

Hot air rises and cool air sinks. We found that two 8" fans, one on the table blowing toward the bed and one on the floor blowing away from the bed kept the cool air from settling to the floor, and helped moderate the temperature more quickly.

Also, keep the outside compartment hatches closed. I was surprised to feel how much cold air comes out the hatch when you open it.

Hope this helps.
jandmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Marvin

Default 23RBK Air Con

Thursday we will be leaving for a few days of camping and the forcast says it will be in the high 80's or 90's so hope the air cond keeps it cool. I will remember to close the vents as well as the windows. This will be only the 2nd time we will be using our camper and the first time it rained both days so the air wasn't needed but we did run the furnace one morning and it felt good to get rid of the dampness.

We switched the hitch from a E 2 to a 4 point equalizer/sway bar and traded the Olds Bravada for a Dodge Ram 1500 with the tow package so hope to be rid of the sway. Will report next week as to how it goes.

Thanks for the hints they are appreciated
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
brains77396

Have a great trip. Don't get me wrong on the A/C being weak. The days of travel was really hard to get it cool. After sunset it would catch up. The next day it kept the trailer cool with the heat index over 100. Downright, use a blanket, cold at night. This was with the temp knob set to three and fan speed on low.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
brains77396

When we were in Dallas, a motorhome pulled in next to us. He was running the front A/C from park power and had to run his gen set to run the rear A/C trying to get the thing cool. He wound up going outside and spraying the camper with a water hose to help cool it off. We bought two of those bars you put in your fridge to hold everything in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU
You know, I think that is the nature of the beast in hot climates in the summer. I was just talking with a friend who has a 32 foot Jayco TT about summer trips to the south. He said last year when they were in GA and FL the TT took quite a while to cool at night once they stopped, so he suggested stopping earlier rather than later to let the A/C work on cooling it down to a comfortable temperature for sleeping...as kind of something to build into your travel itinerary when traveling in the summer in the south.

Glad there were no milk incidents this time 'round! I think of your post every time I put the milk away in the camper...and usually put a 1/2 gallon in the door in those little flange things. Luckily the milk we buy has those little screw tops on thge cartons, so I feel safer with that too...and I think that our fridge latch works well, which is the main issue I guess!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
toaobigal

I've used my trailer 4 times so far for a total of 11 nights and I haven't used the A/C yet! I used the heater 3 or 4 times but no A/C. We had a heat wave last week, with the humidex factor the temperature would reach about 110 F (46 C) but I wasn't camping. I did try it in my driveway and it's noisy but I guess when it's hot you don't hear it as much... Then again, I'm a little more east From Texas, more like Montreal, Canada!
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
brains77396

Mosey on down Texas way. You will get to test it real quick. Saw on the weather channel we have a tropical storm heading to somewhere on the TX. coast. Hope so, for the draught is really putting the hurt on the farmers and ranchers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaobigal
I've used my trailer 4 times so far for a total of 11 nights and I haven't used the A/C yet! I used the heater 3 or 4 times but no A/C. We had a heat wave last week, with the humidex factor the temperature would reach about 110 F (46 C) but I wasn't camping. I did try it in my driveway and it's noisy but I guess when it's hot you don't hear it as much... Then again, I'm a little more east From Texas, more like Montreal, Canada!