Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
Grumpy

Default Surge Protector - Hardwired

Greetings,
New to the board. We have a 2004 BT Cruiser 5230 on a ford E450 platform. Bought it second hand and have done some work to it, they all need that once in a while.

Anyway, I am installing a PI EMS LCHW30 at the Shore power input to the automatic transfer switch. However I got to thinking, I always get into trouble when I think, should I move it to the OUTPUT of the transfer switch just in case the generator decides its time to hiccup?

Any input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: Surge Protector - Hardwired

Grumpy,

Thinking can be its own risk...

I would put it on the 240 volt output to the transfer switch. I upgraded the transfer switch on my Tour Master Diesel pusher with a 50 amp one from TRC (model 41260) with a built in surge protector and I believe that it is on the output side. My big diesel generator is a 240 volt unit, but if yours is only a 120 volt unit that may make some difference... Contact the manufacturer directly or look for a FAQ in their website that speaks to this specifically.

Good luck and let us know what you decided and why...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
Grumpy

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to the documentation for the Generac QP40 and found that it has surge, frequency and over voltage protection built into the voltage regulator output. That said, the PI unit has that plus under voltage, open neutral and open ground.

I know that under voltage will damage the Air Conditioner, but don't have ant statistics on generators failing with under voltage, the open ground and neutral I don't think are to worry about on the generator side, see - thinking again. I suppose that it may bear a look at the Generac website after all.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Grumpy

Ok, called Generac and they directed me to a company called Schwalm, they took over the RV portion of the Generac business.
The support person there advised me that in his 30 years he hasn't seen the generators fail with under voltage, open ground or open neutral and to just be concerned with shore power.

Until I hear of some instances that would disprove that I will leave it installed on the shore power leg of the transfer switch.

So, I will be interested to hear of any generator failure stories.