Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Georunner

Default VT 365 Engine noise

My engine gives off a sort of "rubbing" or deep chirping sound sometimes when it shifts gears. When this happens, puffs of smoke are emitted. I noticed JimBob had his in for some kind of engine noise last February. Does anyone have an idea what this could be.

We have been out in our 6331 many times since we got in March, and are really loving it.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
JimBob

Default Turbo Farting....

Geo-
What you are describing is what I labeled as turbo farting.
I took the coach to an International dealer, who kept it for a week.
They thought it was several things, and there were several calls back and forth to the factory to talk to the engineers. Finally, after intervention from GS and the referral to International, the Turbo was removed, and found to have excessive wear, after 1500 miles, and was replaced, under warranty. (about $2500 repair)
They also replaced the EGR computer, which deals with the exhaust portion of the turbo function, ergo, the farting that you hear. That was also done under warranty. (Another $900 repair.)

End result, the engine runs better, and now, I would say I have turbo pooting, rather than farting. Only occasionally do I now get the fart.
I have put about 8500 miles on the engine since the replacements.

Essentially, my repair dude, who was the staff expert on the engine, provided two observations that were of interest:
Everyone at International is awed by the engine set up- in that the engine is putting out 300 hp out of the 365 set up. No one in the shop had seen this configuration, and were surprised that the engine was getting 300 hp out of it. Ergo the turbo being maxed out, or close to that. I was essentially told that the farting was something I would just have to live with. I more in view that I am watching my turbo closely, to make sure it doesn't hemmorage along side the road one day. I earlier owned a Winnie View with a Mercedes diesel that had to power too much and was always going into limp mode due to a bad EGR valve, (well three times anyway, ) and was not a happy camper.

Further, they winked at me and sort of indicated to be very aware of changing the fuel filter every oil change, versus every other oil change. Something about fuel being slammed through at very high pressures to get that much horsepower through the block. I accepted that at face value, as opposed to them trying to sell more filters.

That's my story.... shortly, my pal and fellow Super Nova person Texas TC will view your posting, and share his wisdom I bet. He has a better grasp on the tekkie side of the story, and can explain better than I.

He will also probably mention that running the engine in the economy mode seems to help with the farting. I vouch for that.

I am a Super Nova Cheerleader, charter member.

JimBob
08 Super Nova
Greenwood, SC.
Presently off the road, will DW recovers from major back surgery.
Back out in December.

http://jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Texas TC

JimBob pretty much covered it. We all have little chirp to some degree. Nothing to be concerned about.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Georunner

Default Engine noise

Thanks guys. This explanation makes a lot of sense to me. I get the turbo farting mostly in the mountains, not so much on a flat freeway. I think I'll take it in and have the mechanics check it out just in case the turbo shows the wear JimBob had.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
JimBob

Default Pooting on 365

Good to go, glad we could enlighten you. We're happy to share our experiences.

Have them run the computer diagnostics, and good luck.

I imagine that they might make adjustments, based on the reads.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

JimBob
Old 09-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Georunner

Just got back from McCandless Truck, out local International site. The service manager said a couple of other RV owners had been in with the same problem. He let me read a service bulletin from International that said the problem was "turbo pressure dump" and that there was no fix for it "at this time". The "at this time" concerns me a bit becuase they did not say it is normal, and that sort of implies that they are working on a fix for it. The pressure dump makes sense to me as it only does it when I let off the throttle or the rig shifts up hill, times like that.

Oh, you should have seen the service managers face when I asked if he could cure my "turbo farts".

I will get my rig in for a diagnostic checkup, but might wait intil next month so we can keep camping. I was assured the condition was not fatal.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
JimBob

Default Turbo farting

I was thinking about copyrighting the term.....
I also think I was the guinea pig for the problem, since I've had my coach since February of this year, although I think Texas TC may beat me there.

I'm comfortable that Intn'l will own up to any issues, they were quick to try the repairs I mentioned.

Maybe they'll aftermarket an aerosol to disguise any farting aromas as the unit moves on down the road.

As TC and I said, think we just live with this one. Enjoy the coach, and keep us posted on what's up.

JimBob
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
nailerman

I too on my SN 6362 have heard the "rubbing or chirping" being described above, but thought is was the valve in the transmission cavitating. I am having trouble now with the Allison 2500 slipping between gears on the up shift. It has been to Western Branch who have tried everything except pull it down but is still slips. Anythoughts?
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote