Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
MLynch

Default Trying to figure it out

Hey There:

I've got a 2008 T40F Tourmaster. I've got some things going on that I never dealt with in my previous rig ( I had a Winnebago). When I hook up the shore line to the RV, all seems to work well; however, when I run things off of the generator, none of the TVs or DVD players come on. The same hold true with several other appliances (the central vac. , microwave, etc.). None of those things would turn on, even if they were the only things that I were attempting to power. Am I missing something? Is there some sort of "magic button" that I need to push? If so, I haven't found it. Once again, all of the aforementioned seem to work okay under 50 amp power. None of the circuits seems to be tripped, etc.

We drove nearly 700 miles yesterday with 7 kids and no TVs. I was ready to bang my head against the RV at several times during the ride home. If you know what I'm doing wrong (with the electrical stuff, that is.....I know that you'll probably tell me I'm nuts for travelling with that many kids), please jot me a note. I appreciate your tips.

Thanks,
Mike
MLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
RJ82much

I hope it's simple as this:

Your generator likely has 2 circuit breakers at the generator itself. Take the generator cover off (Onan just snaps off, no tools). You should see an auxiliary start switch as well a two circuit breakers. My money is on you finding one of the breakers tripped...

Mine commonly trips when I forget & turn too many appliances on.

Let us know what you find, OK?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
MLynch

Bob:

Wow, I hope that it's that easy. I'll try to go over to the RV lot tonight and check things out. I really appreciate the tip and can't wait to check things out.

Best regards,
Mike
Old 11-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
MLynch

That worked Bob. Thanks for the guidance.

By default, it seems as though the big TV up front still shuts off when the ignition is turned on; however, I would assume that's some sort of safety feature. All else seems good....all of the GFCI circuit lights are on, the TVs and accessories come on, etc.

If you have any idea how to bypass that automatic shut-off of the front TV, that would be great. That's the big screen that most of the kiddos would be watching.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Best regards,
Mike
Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Mike,

First, it is illegal for the driver to be able to view the tv while driving.

With that being said, look at your fuse diagram that should be in the first compartment on the driver's side. There should be a 5 amp fuse labeled "TV Relay-Ignition Defeat".

Pull that fuse and the TV should stay powered up when the engine switch is on.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
...Pull that fuse and the TV should stay powered up when the engine switch is on.
One word of caution -- I have heard from one person who was given a ticket by a policeman who was passing his rig and saw the front TV on...
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
MLynch

Thanks Ron.

I'm just trying to please the peanut gallery. I'd never drive and watch TV, especially the stuff that somehow keeps them entertained.

Best regards,
Mike
Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #8
djqualls

A little Tip.........

I bought a roll of window tint film at autozone (Darkest Possible) and some velcro buttons and cut the film to fit the tv frame and it killed all of the glare and the tv was still very veiwable while driving after dark.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
rdlamb

Default Generator

Hi MLynch:

I have a 2007 Tour Master. It took some time, but I figured out why the breaker on the Onan keeps tripping.

My coach has only one breaker. A 37x2 amp. What this means is that there is 2 lines, each supplying 37 amps, from the generator. I have no idea what each line supplies, but did find out through several errors that:
1. A/C and microwave are on one line. I had installed an insta-hot in the kitchen sink. When all 3 are on, generator breaker trips.
2. Ditto with A/C and electric water heater. Cannot add a hair dryer in the bathroom or breaker trips.
3. Always seems to happen in the dark, while pouring rain, cold, with something dark and foreboding in the trees.
Safe travels.
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
rdlamb

Default Generator

Hi MLynch:

I have a 2007 Tour Master. It took some time, but I figured out why the breaker on the Onan keeps tripping.

My coach has only one breaker. A 37x2 amp. What this means is that there is 2 lines, each supplying 37 amps, from the generator. I have no idea what each line supplies, but did find out through several errors that:
1. A/C and microwave are on one line. I had installed an insta-hot in the kitchen sink. When all 3 are on, generator breaker trips.
2. Ditto with A/C and electric water heater. Cannot add a hair dryer in the bathroom or breaker trips.
3. Always seems to happen in the dark, while pouring rain, cold, with something dark and foreboding in the trees.
Safe travels.
Rick

Old 12-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
RJ82much

Rick,

Sounds like you have the Onan/Cummins Quiet Deisel 8000 generator. Their literature claims that you would have 3100watts additional over the 2 AC's. Roughly, this boils down to 13 amps available on each breaker/generator coil...

Your microwave will draw anywhere from 7 amps to 11 amps. RV electric instant water heaters seem to be rated at 12.5 amps. Our Suburban water heater's element draws perhaps 12 amps. Lady's hair dryers are notorius energy hogs.

You have a couple of choices:
* tell your woman she looks gorgeous with her hair wet
* use a single AC whenever possible & just the fan on #2 to help circulate the cool air
* use only LP to heat your water when on generator
* upgrade to the Onan deisel 12kw generator.

I hate going outside in the rainy dark to reset the generator breakers,,, knowing those ogres are hovering in the trees above..

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #12
rdlamb

Default Electrical Chair

Bob:
Thanks for the info. You would think GS would include literature on the generator delineating the amp load of each appliance.

Now, in a more current event, I need the electrical schematic of the co-pilot's chair. Our dealer installed the six-way chair w/foot rest about 6 months after we took delivery of our coach. A vigorous vacuuming under the chair pulled some wires out of their wire nuts.

2 lines come in from the floor. Red & White. Red is hot, white is common.

Chair has 5 lines.
Red & 2 solid black that are much larger gauge than the rest of the wires. It appears that these were wired to the hot red from the coach. 4 wires into one wire nut.

2 smaller gauge black (one has a white stripe). It appears that these were wired to the White common.

Before I perform the unthinkable, and permanently weld my eyebrows together, I wonder if there is a schematic or other information that may help correctly wire this mess back together.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Rick