Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
hyall

Default Charging chassis batteries?

Is there any other source other than the alternator to charge the chassis battery?
In the Tourmaster both house and chassis are in the same compartment I did hook up a echo-charge but was it necessary
Russ
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
rdlamb

Hi Russ:
The answer to your question is no, only the started engine with the alternator working will charge your chassis batteries. However, consider this work-around.

I bought a Battery Minder. It is totally automatic, and trickle charges the battery, does automatic desulfination, and got rid of an innate problem of long term camping, or long term stagnation (not starting the engine). The unit is about the same size as an a/c adapter for your cell phone.

Drill a 3/4" hole from your shore-power compartment to your battery compartment. Take care not to bore into any of the battery cables. The Battery Minder, or whatever unit you choose, has a line with eye connectors that easily slide over the proper battery post. Run this through the hole you bored, I used a rubber grommet to protect the line from the rough metal edges. Plug the unit into the outlet found above your powered line reel. This outlet is where the engine heater is plugged in, which is why you have a plug sitting there.
By the way, do not plug in the cord and leave it plugged in (for the heater). The heater uses a lot of amps, and will burn out if left continuously plugged in.

I put velcro on the Battery Minder and the outlet, to keep the Minder in place.

No more dead chassis batteries, no more worrying. Took about a hour to do everything.
http://www.pacificbattery.com/batteryminder.html

Safe Travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
zzrv

Not sure about the Tourmaster, but in my 2003 gasser there is a battery isolator relay circuit which will charge BOTH house and chassis batteries under certain conditions from shore power or alternator. For example, when plugged into shore power, if the chassis battery is low (below 12.3 volts, I think) the relay picks and charges it. Vice versa with the alternator. If the house batteries are low, the alternator will charge them also.

Don't know if you have a battery isolator in your Tourmaster, but it works great in my 2003.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
hyall

thanks all
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Arthur Hayes

I also added the Battery Minder to my unit and it did cure the "dead chassis" problem. I unplug mind when I am traveling, and only use it when I am going to be stationary for a few weeks or more. They are sold at several places and Campers World. Look for them to be on sale at around $45.00.

Art
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote