Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Doug56

Default Rear Electric Slideout Slow

My 2004 Crescendo electric rear slide-out is very slow and sluggish. I have lubricated (dry lube) all the rollers, hinges and screw but still need to assist with a slight push when the slide is being opened. It seems to retract pretty good which makes me think that it can not be a bad motor. Has anybody experienced this?
The DC lights dim to a glow when operating the slide even when plugged in. Is this normal? I am afraid that I am pulling to many amps off the batteries with this problem. Looking for a place to start looking without just replacing parts, the electric motor is over $300 to replace.
Doug56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Dennis4809

Default Re: Rear Electric Slideout Slow

Check all wiring connections. A bad ground or less than perfect 12V connection will result in high current draw, slow motor speed and heavy amp draw.
Good luck and let us know how you fixed this issue.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
Frutza

Dont know if your having the same problem I did, but mine was the gaskets and the luan on the bottom of the slide. the gasket on the bottom inside was torn and getting in the roller on extend. Also the plastic on the bottom of the slide was all smashed from the weight and then the thin wood, it was like a luan, was crushed and falling apart. I panned the the bottom with aluminum sheet , that was more trouble than it was worth, but what worked really well, was I got some stainless about 1/16" thick by 8" wide and used as a runner on top of the rollers, It works great now. If you do it, run the slide out and then back in about 3", that leaves you play for lifting, I just put a 4x4 on my floor jack and lifted one side and slid it right in , not over the roller, then slide it sideways over the top of the roller. Dont how other slides are constructed, but this seems to be the weak link on Crescendo's, saw one in Fl on a lot that was just rotted bad. Good luck
Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
RayChez1

The problem is that your house batteries are weak.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:36 AM   #5
Doug56

I have been troubleshooting this problem and found that it is electrical. All the roller are working and there is no binding going on. The voltage at the motor drops significantly when operated. I had the motor checked out and it is good. I need to track down the DC supply back to the batteries. The same house batteries do operate the hydraulic pumps for the levelers and the other slide without a voltage drop. I suspect a bad ground or switch in this circuit but find it difficult to locate these connections without a wiring diagram of how they run through the coach. It is time consuming it may be easier to run a new wire.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
RayChez1

If you had a bad ground it would not operate at all. Put a load test on each of your six volt batteries or check them with a hydrometer. I bet you have some bad batteries. How long have you had your house batteries on the coach? Usually they will only last around five years at most.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
Camperman

It sounds like you may have a bad ground. IF it is corroded it could make contact but will reduce the electrical flow to the motor. I would remove all the contact points and either clean them well or solder new contact points. I had a similar problem recently with my coach not starting and had to use the aux. power. I had 3 RV dealers look at it and spent serious money but no one found the problem. I took it to my local car mechanic and after half an hour he found that the power was low. When we removed the battery cable there was lots of corrosion. We cleaned that off , cut off the connector and attached a new one. We filled it with solder and dipped the wire in. There will be no more corrosion there. I had the same issues with my electrical step. Once the ground was replaced the problem was solved. I had to replace several switches also due to corrosion, all because I didn't go South last winter but stayed in the snowy North.
Camperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #8
Doug56

I found the problems to be a combination of a couple of things. The switch that operates the electric motor takes the full current for the motor. I expected to find a relay to do this job but that is the way it is designed. I found that there is a volt drop across that switch and when jumping it out the slide operates much better. I have ordered a new switch which should help. I also found that in moving it several times in and out that it sometimes the slide starts to rack because it hangs up on the top front corner. There is a roller on a shaft that actually moves up and down in a tube. I found that sometimes it sticks which racks the slide out causing high current draw on the motor. I have treated that shaft with dry lube and it seems to be operating better. I may try penetrating fluid if it starts to hang up again. I am satisfied that the problem is resolved but I guess next season I will know for sure. I appreciates everyone help and suggestions. If only there were wiring diagrams for these coaches it would save a lot of time in troubleshooting.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #9
Carnac

Did you ever have any luck on the slide issue? My 2005 Friendship has a bedroom slide that needs help going out. I have to push it out while holding the switch. It will close slowly. I changed the switch have new batts and have lubed it. Its a weird "scissor style mount with screw drive. Any help or ideas appreciated.
Carnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #10
Carnac

I worked on it today and did find the voltage drops at the switch. I am hunting g but if I have to I will rewire it. I also need help with setup adjustment procedure. My pass side bedroom slide has a scissor style frame on both sides. I am afraid I messed up the adjustment working on it.
Carnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #11
Frutza

I don't have that type slide, but, when I removed the cover, there was a sticker on the inside that had the name ,manufacturer and adjustment instructions, with the cover off you can check voltage right at the motor