Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
ken1373

Default GS Supernova

On another forum it was mentioned by a non SN owner that the International engine being used being a 6.0 was probably underpowered relative to the GVW and that this unit has a tow rating of up to 13,000#. Are there any SN owners out there who can speak to this, and est. MPG and how does it handle i.e. when being passed by 18 wheelers. Any other good, bad, or ugly to be spoke to? Thamks, Ken...
Old 04-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Texas TC

I have been driving a Kodiak 5500 for the past year, 12000 miles. I drove the new Supernova after I saw it a the Dallas RV show and ordered a new one (6331) the same day. It seemed to have plenty of power and handled much better in a cross wind than the 5500. I had the demo up to 75 miles per hour and it still seemed to have additional power. The drawbacks to me were the absence of an exhaust brake and the water heater is only fueled by propane. ( I am accustomed to having electric as an option) I sold the 2006 Four Winds with the Chevrolet 5500 and am waiting for the delivery of the Supernova within the next 6 weeks.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
ken1373

Default Supernova

Texas TC, I sent you a PM today re above, Ken...
Old 05-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
chuckb

Default Supernova 6372

Greetings,

I just joined this forum as I am taking delivery of a Supernova this Monday. There does not appear to be info from owners of this coach anywhere on the net. I have always owned class A's, most recently, a 2006 43' Holiday Rambler Imperial. I am trading it in due to the exessive cost of ownership. I am hoping my 5 to 6 mpg will be a thing of the past. I am mainly concerned about Gulfstreams commitment to keeping there customer content. HR has been execptional, taking care of all warranty issues. I can call them and get most technical questions answered on the phone. What are your experiences with Gulfstream???
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
Texas TC

I picked up my 2008 Supernova 6331 on May 23. I have put about 500 miles on it and I absolutely love it. The handling is effortless and when you pass or are passed by big rigs, you get no wind at all. I was pleasantly surprised that it came with two 70 gallon fuel tanks. I, therefore, have not needed to fill up yet so I don't know the mileage. So far, it has exceeded my expectations.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
SueMac

Default GS Super Nova

Hi, We're new here and we've been looking at the Super Nova too. Looks nice and right now we're in the "panic" stage of wondering just where to put stuff since storage is so different than what we have now. We'll be downsizing from a 42' quad slide Country Coach. Love our big Class A, but since we're not full timing anymore we'd like to reduce the expense of it sitting in the driveway and not being used. I think we'd go on short trips more often with a smaller rig.

So there isn't an exhaust break on this diesel? We really rely on it on our CC. What are your methods of stopping without burning up your service breaks? Just downshift?

We're waiting on some dealers figures today to see if we're going to make this switch.

Sue
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:19 AM   #7
Sharwins

Hello All

We are the new owners of the Supernova Model 6362 after two years of the 28 ft. Airstream Safari. Our 2007 summer trip took us almost 7,000 miles from Windsor Locks Connecticut to the Black hills of South Dakota and back to New York City where we happen to reside

Apart from an increase in living and storage space, we can now travel at the speed of traffic and with 140 gallons of fuel at our disposal, multiple daily stops for this product are a thing of the past. Ther are some concerns however.

Our Coach did not maintain its upright composure when overtaking at highway speeds or whenever uneven roads were encountered at any speeed. The leaning is uncomfortable if not dangerous in our opinion.

This diesel was not the easiest vehicle to bring to a complete stop and the use of gears was necessary. We also maintained generous distances.

Noise generated by the engine was unbearable and had us shouting towards each other. A quiet radio was the better way to go for us since we couldn't hear it from the front seats anyway.

This Class C which stands upon the International truck is so new that after market products are rare if not impossible to find.

But make no mistake however, this is otherwise a very comfortable RV and we are open to suggestions from our fellow Supernova or other Class C owners who face the same problems.

Sharon and Winston
Sharwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
SueMac

I'm glad your coach is better than the one we got. We are in negotiations with our dealer for a buy back. I won't bore folks with pages of problems, but this one was not assembled well at all.

We did have the gear reduction done which helps, but it is still so loud you have to shout to carry on a conversation. It does run well and is very stable on the road. We're used to big Class A diesels that take a while to get going so the slow take off is not a problem and once up to speed it does fine. Ours seems to stop ok also but is quite different than having an engine break like we did on the big A's.

Our biggest problems are the poor assembly and quality of the RV "box". The chassisand engine, altho very loud is fine.

Safe travels and I hope ourn next trip in ours is to deliver it to the dealer.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
Texas TC

Sharwins:
My 6331 does not have the issues you discussed other than the noise. My coach is very stable in wind, adverse road conditions, and passing other high profile vehicles. The engine noise is a fairly common in the Class C because you are sitting right behind the engine. Mine has two levels of noise. In normal running mode, I can carry on a conversation and listen to the radio. When the water temperature gets to 210 degrees, the clutch on the automatic fan cuts in and the noise goes up considerably, when the fan cools the water temp back down to 190, the fan cuts off and the noise level goes back down.

I have been extremely pleased with my stopping power. I tow a 3800# Jeep Wrangler and can stop with ease even with it connected. I bought an auxiliary brake system for the Jeep but have only used it once. I prefer not to use it because the total weight of the coach and Jeep do not even meet the GVWR of the coach so the brakes on the coach are sized to stop the weight of both vehicles.

I have not heard issues with the stability of the coach from anyone. I would take the coach to your nearest International dealer and explain the symptoms to them. I would think there is a problem in the springs or shocks with your coach and they should be able to diagnose and repair under warranty.

Good luck in getting a satisfying diagnosis and remedy of your issues.