Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
sueandjerry

Default any advice would be helpful

After over 100 hours of correcting and re-doing things ourselves at our expense on the inside and outside of our 2008 BT Cruiser 5272 we only had two issues to go back to the dealer, and subsequently, Gulfstream, about. We have been stonewalled on both issues, so as a last resort before I just go out and spend MORE of my own money correcting factory flaws, I thought I would ask if any of you have any advice. Our "dealer" (and I use the term loosely!) is over 200 miles away, and the local service center is not a Gulfstream dealer, so even though they are a service center, they are not too happy to help us.

Problem 1: The "upgraded" surround sound system receiver/dvd unit does not work. It comes on at FULL volume every time you turn it on and the buttons do not correspond with what they say they are (like volume) on the unit. Volume changes tuner channels! We were afraid that the unit coming on full blast would blow the 5 surround speakers so we took it out. Further, the dvd player shuts off after about 30 minutes and will not come back on until the unit has been off for several hours. The unit has no manufacturer name on it. Our literature says it is Audiovox, however when we contacted them, they said it is not their unit. We suspect it is a cheap Chinese knockoff. Gulfstreams response to us was put it back in, take it to the service center and if the service dealer blows your speakers, too bad. They will not swap it out for another unit, even if we agreed to pay more for something that at least a manufacturer has enough pride in to put their name on it. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Problem 2: The shades in the bedroom are transparent--they are day shades that you can see right through in the dark if a light is on inside. Makes it a little uncomfortable for changing clothes! Originally our "gold" person at Gulfstream said the local service center would replace them with day/night shades for $20 each. Then, several weeks later, said she had checked further and that was not an option on our model. It is horrible that Gulfstream would stoop so low as to put shades in a bedroom that you can see through from outside in the dark and not even offer an option to change it. Their position now is that they are "slightly" more opaque than the day shade and that should suffice. Not to mention the fact that they don't keep out any light, my concern is mostly that you can see right through them. Any advice?

Both problems can be fixed by us just opening our wallet further. However, we already have invested a substantial amount of money fixing factory flaws and issues. These both seem pretty basic, where Gulfstream should be willing (at a reasonable cost) to exchange these items for what they should have put in originally. It is frustrating to say the least. Basically we like the coach, it fits us and our lifestyle well, however, at this point, I certainly would never consider another Gulfstream product, nor would I recommend one to anyone else.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Texas TC

We had two DVD players replaced by GS in our SuperNova. The first one would not work on FM and the second would not play movies. Between the two, we had one unit that was right. The third unit seems to work although they are putting an external antenna on for us to pick up FM better.

We changed the two large window shades in the living room out to day/night at our own expense. I did not ask them to change them for us since they were not offered in our model. In the bedroom, we made some window covers that we attach between the shade and the window with Velcro. We were going to change the shades out to day/night but liked the darker effect of the window covers for sleeping in on bright mornings.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
SueMac

Yep, "day" shades aren't too good for privacy. I got an expandable curtain rod and some material and made some curtains and lined them with some black out material and put them inside the valance.

I too think it was a cheap way to go. I bet no one at the factory would be comfortable with only having "day" shades.

Our DVD player works, but not the remote. Changing batteries didn't help. So who knows, with all the ailments of this rig, it could be the wrong remote!

GS should have paid us for all the rebuilding we had to do to fix their poor assembly.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
pete beale

These problems should be sorted ,How can any RV manufacturer put day shades in a bedroom. The DVDs should be just thrown in the trashcan and purchase a decent one. Because my GS was coming to the UK I told the dealer to take them out and keep them as a gift,I have to laugh now that he left the rubbish DVD in it,Its thrown in the loft now. I have a feeling this lack of GS preperation will go on and on.The dealers must be doing pretty good out of payments from GS for faults that they have to fix.BECAUSE WE ARE DOING IT!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
RJ82much

Sue & Jerry,

I may be way out in left field on the ID of your radio/CD, but GS uses a supplier named "River Park" quite a bit. Much of the River Park products bear no identification. An example is the input/output switch in our Sun Voyager entertainment cabinet. It was by accident that I ever discovered that River Park was the manufacturer/supplier.

My records indicate your BTC should have a Visteon AM/FM CD player from River Park, p/n XL5F-18C815-AA, seen at
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=I ... gle+Search

This appears to be a dash unit. Could it be your offending part? (I am not familiar with the Cruiser)

The Sun Voyager also has an undocumented electrical "box" under the dash that looks like a computer module, but instead is a switch for the surround sound speakers, provided by River Park. If you have such a device, it could be the source of your volume problems (perhaps)

River Park can be reached at 800-442-7717 or
email at [email protected]

they are located at

21953 Protect Dr.
Elkhart, IN 46516

Their website has a tech-support page ( http://www.riverparkinc.com/contact.html?rp=tech ). I suspect they will be very responsive

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
RJ82much

Sue & Jerry,

I must be standing too close to the glue pot! The link above is not for a DVD player... However, GS uses a Norcent DVD player, seen at http://www.amazon.com/Norcent-DP300-DVD ... B00007FSB9

I googled DP300 for those results. Summit Dist (Elkhart, IN) would be a supplier.

APEX is a brand used in some models. HT180W from Midwest Sales (South Bend, IN). Unfortunately, the only online reference I can find for that part number is speaker wires.

River Park supplies a lot of Sony equipment (including in Sun Voyager) but it is marked with the Sony name.

Have you tried looking at the back or bottom of your entertainment box to see if there is any part number?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
sueandjerry

Thanks everyone for your input. Obviously this is not an isolated thing! My husband is kind of an electronic geek, so took out the receiver/dvd player when we first discovered it was broken. There is not a single number, or identifying characteristic on it anyplace. Even our "gold" person at Gulfstream couldn't identify what might have been used in our coach. At this point, it is not worth trying to argue with them to fix it when their attitude is so against helping. But, it is disappointing.

In any case, we appreciate all the comments. SueMac, the first thing I did was cut up that dry clean only bedspread and make covers for the windows, but, lining them with blackout fabric didn't occur to me, guess that will be my winter project!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
SueMac

I bought some expansion curtain rods and some material and sewed curtains and lined them with the black out material. Put the rods in front of the day shades but inside the valances. Day/night shades would have been better but this works.

Good luck with the repairs.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote