Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
RayHarkness

Default Refridgeration-Norcold 1200 model double door fridge

Question,
has anybody had problems getting their Norcold 1200 fridge to cool down enough? We reside in Florida, and frankly, when we get ready to leave on a trip, start off ok, but due to the high heat, we just can't get it down that cold? I have used the inverter to switch it to 110v power, and tried Gas, setting the temp as low as I can. When we get up north, in reasonable moderate heat, it works well.

any thoughts? have thought about putting a block of ice in it at the start..until we get in cooler area. Once we hit 90.its tough...of course it cool very slow down anyways..

Thanks..Ray
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
RayChez1

Something is not right. I have the 1200 LRIM for door with ice maker Norcold and even in Las Vegas with 120 degree temperature it has always cooled very good.
I would contact Norcold for advice at what the problem might be. They have always been very helpful when I was contacted about a recall. I have also read that there is something attached to the fins in the back of the refrigerator that has to be moved to a different area of the fins. It slips my mind what this contraption is called, but my understanding is that it regulates how much your refrigerator cools.
But no, you definitely have some kind of problem. Those 1200 refers cool pretty good.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
RJ82much

I had refrigerator cooling problems. Turned out that painters had masked the inside of the outdoor vent panel preventing air circulation. Removed the masking tape & the fridge temp dropped like a rock.

I have heard of other instances of "stuff" (animal nests) blocking the chimney to the roof.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Jobuha

Is your refridgerator on a slide? if it is you will have two louvers one at the bottom one at the top. Check and ensure you have no blockage. Next thing to check is see if the unit has a fan assembly installed in it.... DOMETIC uses fans to move air. On my DOMETIC unit the thermostat was placed on the wrong side and was not sensing the heat. It took me a while to figure that one out ... so in the mean time I jumpered the little thermostat and mad the fans run all the time.

If you are on a slide and do not have fans to move air from the bottom to the top .... Radio Shack sell 12v PC cooling fans..... the will work excellent in this issue....... PM me if you have any questions

If the unit is not on a slide check the roof vent for blockage......hope this helps
Jobuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
RayHarkness

Default FOLLOW UP-found the problem

Thanx to others that posted responses, and RayChez for help.

couple things I did..after research.

1- the primary problem was that the end of the white rubbed tube that drains moisture out of the tray on the inside, below the fins-was wide open..DUE TO MY OWN DOING! I glued a plastic cap on the end, with a fine hole, Ice Pick size opening only. What was actually happening was I was literally sucking cold air out, when moving down the road. There is a good draft pulling up the "chimney"..and it worked to suck out the cold air.

2- I did obtain a new Thermistor, which was installed on the fins inside. Not sure if it was needed, but I do see the fridge flucuating temperature better, which would be its job.

3- I did use some silicone grease on the interior seals. Wish I had not, but it was suggested.

I think the problem was the white hose that runs outside, down into an aluminum catch cup-was totaly open on the end.

just in case anybody else has the problem. The fridge works REALLY good now, better then I could have ever asked for. I can run on 3 now..and keep down in the 30's....moving, I bump it up a bit....

FYI..R
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote