Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
jmj437

Default A/C Unit servicing. Problem #437

Purchased a used 2004 BT Crusier. Model 5270) The a/c unit on my first exciting outing week end froze up. The coil became cover with ice. Shut down unit and after a period the ice melted. Unit is a 13,500 BTU unit. Make is a Duo-Therm. Unit ran fine for about an hour or so but then it became cloged with ice.

Discussed this with some other RV's and came to the conclusion that it may need a freon servicing or the fan could be loose on the motor shaft causing the unit to "freeze up". After returning home, removed cover on A/C unit and checked the fan. The fan was tight. I looked all over for a servicing port or valve so that the unit could be checked out with a set of A/C gauges. To my suprise that is no such animal as a servicing port or any thing like that on this unit .

I spoke to my neighbor who does AC work/repairs on homes. He said this is a common thing on trailer home but he was not sure about RV's.
He looked over the unit and came to the same conclusion as I that no servicing valve or port are in the system unless they are located some where else.

Now, my big question is. What do I do now to get this unit working correctly again????? It there a A/C kit or some kind of "fix" for this or what. Can anyone help me. This system must have been design by someone behind the desk engineer and not a "real machanic". If it was designed by a mechanic it would have several servicing port on it......... Just remind me of the military and all of there wonderful ideas. As a engineer told me one time "It should work, it worked just fine on paper"

Any suggestions..........Please

Thanks in advance

John
jmj437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
jmj437

Default No Problems--Hard to believe

I guess no one in this whole forum has ever had a problem with there roof AC unit. That is very hard for me to believe........................

Called GS and was told to try cleaning the coil with a AC coil cleaner that I purchased at local hardware store. Did that but did not get a chance yet to see how the unit works. Just as I finished cleaning the coils and rinse it off it started to rain and had to stop. One of those unannounced rain shower down here in Florida. Now waiting for the coil area to dry before I fire up the AC and see if it work OK.

Does anyone in here have a suggestion that my help me with this problem.

Thanks

JJ
Old 04-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
mfa

My understanding is that ice is an indication of low freon levels. I live in Florida, too, and can run our 2006 13500 unit all day without freezing it up...
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
jmj437

Thank for the anwer about my AC unit.

I called GS on this and was told by them that there is not serviceing ports or valves on this unit. He also told me that this type unit very seldom looses freon. He suggested to clean the coil and try running the unit again and see what happens. I ask the gentlemen at GS if the line could be cut and some sort of serviceing valve or filler port could be installed. He stated that they do not recommend doing that due to the valve or filler port vibrating lose and lossing all freon. Make sense to me but on the other hand you will have to buy a new unit for the RV. Nothing easy any more..................................

I went to Lowe's and purchased a can of Web "coil cleaner" Took cover off of AC unit and sprayed coils that I could see with this stuff. It looks like shaving cream. Let it set on coil for a few minutes and they sprayed coils with water. Had to let coils dry completely before I could start unit.

Once coils dryed, reinstalled cover and turned that bad boy on. Let it run at various speed and on auto or just the "on"position for about 2 hours. The coils did not freeze up but did have some water on them which I beleive is normal. I sure hope this solved the problem.

If this does not work, I guess I will have to purchase a new AC unit which I really hate to do but if I must I will.

Thanks again

JJ
Old 04-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Walldo

My front A/C freezes all the time, I hope to clean it this summer and hope for the best... Good luck
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
72chevy4x4

icing of the coil (inside) is common when freon levels are low. it's not a heat pump correct...those may freeze on the outside but there is a system of reversing it so that the ice thaws...goes for residential, guessing its the same operation for rv heat pumps.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
jmj437

Default Problem 437

You talk about reversing system so the ice will thaw and melt. How is this done? Sad that there is no way to service the system with freon. Another blunder........................................... ....It would have been so easy to install a servicing valve and or drain valve to recharge the system. My neighbor does AC work and he said that mobile home are done the same way.....................
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
RJ82much

John,

I have had mostly good luck with my Dometic A/Cs, though there have been occasional instances of icing up. There are many thoughts how to prevent this from occuring, but why don't you contact the experts themselves? It can't hurt.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For (Dometic) RV products
Customer Support Center
Phone: 1-800-544-4881
[email protected]

Dometic
P.O. Box 490
Elkhart, IN 46515

Sales and Marketing
2320 Industrial Parkway
Elkhart, IN 46516
Phone: 574-294-2511
Fax: 574-293-9686
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
When I do get a freeze-up, I turn the temperature setting warmer (or the A/C off). Keep the fan on continuously (rather than cycling) by setting it to "manual" to help melt the ice faster & dry the coils. I have the feeling this mostly occures during very humid conditions.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
jmj437

Default problem 437

Bob,

Thanks so much for the info. I will call and see what they have to say about this ice up problem. We plan on going up north next month but I don't think it will be that warm up in the Long Island/New England area yet but you never know.

By the way, very nice looking rig you have there. Did you just purchase it recently? We just purchased a 2004 GS BT Cruiser and have only done one trip so far. We really enjoy it but it becomes a big toy for me. I enjoy doing work and small repairs on it. Keep me busy.

Thanks again for the info.

John
Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
RJ82much

John,

Thanks for the compliment. We bought it new back in late 2003. We have used it every year, though mostly state parks within New England, NY, and my personal favorite - Pennsylvania. Last year was our 1st major journey cross country to Washington State. It is a fine coach to travel in, and treated us as well as we try to treat it.

BTW, we have stopped at the Gulf Stream factory & overnighted (or longer) in their complimentary campground on several occasions. I make it a point to meet up with Scott Pullin (VP of operations) for conversation & a little critique of what's bugging me. He has also complimented us on the care & upkeep on our unit.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote