Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
bnd10706

Default Ameri-Lite Turn Signal Issue

Last Tuesday my wife and I bought a 2018 GulfStream Amer-Lite 198bh from a friend of ours. When we picked it up, we did not notice the issues with the lights, and the previous owner said he did not know this was a problem.

The left rear has working running light, and that is it, the blinker and brake light does not work on it.

The Right rear has the opposite problem and as the blinker and brake light working, but not the running light.

Both bulbs have been replaced.

Also the rear side marker is not working, I have replaced the bulb as well.

Wiring looks good in the junction box, and thats about as far as I know the problem could be, and also the extent of my knowledge.

I have used 3 different tow vehicles so I know its not a fuse or something in the tow vehicles.
bnd10706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
VA_Camper

You might want to check your truck fuses. I have a 06 Ford F150 and I have three fuses that control the lights on the camper. One is for the parking lights and back up lights, one is for the turn and brake lights on the right the other is for the turn and brake lights on the left. Right now, my brake and turn signals are working, but I have no running lights. I had to take it in for inspection and had the dealer check the camper and they are running fine. So, I know that I need to replace the fuse in my truck. So, check your fuses in your truck.
VA_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
bnd10706

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_Camper View Post
You might want to check your truck fuses. I have a 06 Ford F150 and I have three fuses that control the lights on the camper. One is for the parking lights and back up lights, one is for the turn and brake lights on the right the other is for the turn and brake lights on the left. Right now, my brake and turn signals are working, but I have no running lights. I had to take it in for inspection and had the dealer check the camper and they are running fine. So, I know that I need to replace the fuse in my truck. So, check your fuses in your truck.
The problem is this.

When we picked it up our friend took it to our house and thats when we noticed it. He had a 2019 GMC Sierra. It was brand new.

When I got it home, I hooked my 7 pin on my 2019 Dodge Ram up to it, and it had the same thing.

My wifes vehicle went into the shop and had a brand new 7 pin put in. Before I left the shop, they hooked it to a boat trailer and everything worked.

We got home and the SAME issue.

I cannot image that the issue with the fuse on all 3 cars. especially since 2 of them has never even hooked up to a trailer before, and one from an installer to the house, so a fuse going in 15 mins I cannot image.

Unless this trailer blows fuses when connected.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
UAHaerospace

you can certainly, by your story, assume that the issue lies within the wiring from the front to the rear of the trailer, but it's hard for any of us to diagnose here online... I suspect, though, that you have some wires either not making contact within the trailer's front connector, or some issue with the wiring once it gets to each light.

It's true that sometimes different vehicles don't always follow the same 'rules' of trailer wiring that others do, but maybe that's more uncommon these days... I've had vehicles that seem to offer different light wiring schemes than others.

I doubt that it's your bulbs : / I'm sure you do by now, too : /
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
bnd10706

So I wanted to post what I found for anyone coming here looking for answers in the future.

I bought a tester and grounded it and started with the truck and tested all the prongs on the 7 pin. Ruled out the truck.

Then i moved to the junction box and while the truck had headlights on and hazards on connected the same tester to each of the wires and saw they were either blinking(turn signals) or steady(running lights). Ruled out the pigtail.

Then I move to the rear and saw where they were going up into the back of the trailer. tested everything again, all working, from here I knew at least up until they got into the lights, all the wires were good.

I took each light off and pulled away from the body.

Apparently the wire splitters they had in place all had bad connections. I removed the crappy things they had and head shrunk proper connectors on both rear lights.

All work!
Old 12-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

With all power off, remove bulbs and carefully inspect the SOCKET/ CONTACTS, as CORROSION (rust/ water?) is the (most likely) culprit, (assuming) No wiring damage from critters/ rodents/ mice/ squirrels/ chipmunks? Pencil eraser can be your friend If you have issues, take a photo, but silicone grease can be your friend for prevention? Sorry, just read you have it fixed
Old 12-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #7
Tillie

Those “crimp splice” wire connectors are inherently unreliable yet they keep using them. Cheap, quick connection for the manufacturer and headaches for the owner.
Tillie is offline   Reply With Quote