Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
J79 Engine

Default Dinghy Towing by a 2005 GulfStream workhorse 8.1

The Question is what is, in all your collective opionions the best vehical to choose as a Dinghy? Is Blue OX the best tow bars to use? I am limited to 5,000 pounds or less due to being a gas powered Motor Home and the hitch itself. I was told the lighter the better. Looking at the 2010 Guide to Dinghy Towing I get the feeling it can be very complicated to choose the right vehical to tow either on all four or to use a KarKaddy. I think experience from the owners who have been there and done that would help greatly to make the correct choice. The Dinghy would need to double as a wife vehical hauling around grand children when home.
J79 Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
holmesaw

We pull a Chevy Malibu with no problem. If you can find an older Saturn they are great but no longer in business. Blue Ox is the way to go.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Jim

I would tow 4 on the ground, and get good equipment and have someone like camping world set it up. I now have a 4x4 jeep liberty now but I have towed a pick up with a drive shaft disconect and it worked fine.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
philblumenfeld

I have towed a Honda CR-V for years with a blue ox tow bar and base plate.
No problems ever'
3 Slides
Toad: 1999 Honda C-RV
philblumenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Chuck v

I concur that the Honda products are great choices for towing '4-down' and that not having to deal with a tow dolly at your destination or storing one when you are not traveling is another great benefit of the 4-down configuration. To stay under 5000 pounds you will need to select a smaller vehicle and that might limit the ride quality/features of the Dingy itself. Still, there are some good choices both new and used. Motorhome Magazine publishes information each year, and the Family Motor Coaching January issue has a good run down as well. Honda's CR-V and Fit are both rated for flat towing. Automatic transmissions and all wheel drive tend to limit the choices a bit, hence the preference for the CR-V by many coach owners...

My 2007 TourMaster has a higher tow rating, so we use the Acura MDX model of SUV as a toad (it is right at 5000 pound curb weight with full gas tank...) Too bad that Honda/Acura changed the ratings after the 2005 model year and they no longer recommend flat towing of this model. That is why I specifically sought out a low mileage used 2005 MDX in great condition when I was buying a toad for behind my TM.

I use RoadMaster equipment (tow bar, air brake supplemental braking, tow shield...) because they are a local manufacturer. My research found that independent dealers are the best price, Camping World is hundreds more and the large motorhome dealers are the most expensive for buying and installing this type of equipment.

Base plates (the attachment points at the front of the car) are very specific to the model and year of vehicle being towed -- so research and select carefully. Installation is detailed and must be done by a trusted vendor -- if you are skilled at mechanical repairs you can do it yourself. Just remember that road safety is paramount and choose accordingly!

Chuck

PS Here is a link to instructions for installing a typical base plate:
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/3141-1.pdf

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
RayChez1

I tow a Honda Pilot EXL 4WD. This has been an excellent toad because it has seating for eight people, which we really like when we take friends out for dinner. It is a top of the line of the Honda Pilots and is expensive new at around 39K, it weights 4200 lbs. but we love it.
Tow bar is a Aventa II blue ox which is 10K capy.
We had the base plate and electrical wiring done at the RV dealer where we had bought the coach.

If you prefer something lighter a very popular SUV is the Honda CRV two wheel drive and I believe they also have an all wheel drive suv. Very popular with RVers.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
db77

I have a 2006 Sun Voyager (8389) 8.1. I used to tow a G6 but now have a 2010 Chev Equinox and it tows pretty well. I would only tow 4 down. If you use a dolly you always have to disconnect it and find a place for it at your campsite. There are a lot of good dinghys out there, just find the one that is best for you.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
J79Engine

Default Re: Dinghy Towing by a 2005 GulfStream workhorse 8.1

I'm glad to hear there is no problem towing a Chev Equinox, I just got a 2012 GMC Terrain 6 cylinder which I thought my 8.1 2005 Workhorse would pull. I'm sttill trying to work my way around the dealer quote of $3900 to fulling hook it up to tow on all 4 wheels. He said he has to run wire into the engine bay so the breaks on the SUV electrically work at the master cylinder, install a shield and the tow bar fitting. Camping World were close to that figure but they wanted to use a Break buddy instead of wiring into the SUVs break system. There has got to be a cheaper place or way to safely hook everything up but I have until Spring to find the cheaper method or company as I may be retired Military but still keep those F4 Phantoms engines operating until they retire then I will retire.
J79Engine is offline   Reply With Quote