Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Beachnut

Default No towel bars in BT Cruiser 5245

Hi all...

We are new to RV-ing and purchased a BT Cruiser 5245 last winter. We've made some modifications, but I'm stumped on the lack of a towel bar in the bathroom. I'm a fan of the Command hooks, and put them up elsewhere, but is there not a way to have an actual towel bar? Everything I have read says not to drill holes anywhere in an rv. Suggestions, please and thank you!
Beachnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
Chuck v

In my full sized diesel pusher, the bath has only a small towel ring. What I did was put in a tension pole towel rod "tree" that runs floor to ceiling in the corner where the toilet is -- this lets the towels to go on the cantilevered rods and hang near the wall, but they can swing out to allow for faster air drying after use. The one I have is by Zenna, and you can remove a section to accommodate the reduced ceiling height of an RV.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zenna-Hom...10070301008005

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
Beachnut

Thank you so much, Chuck. I'll check into that.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
In my full sized diesel pusher, the bath has only a small towel ring. What I did was put in a tension pole towel rod "tree" that runs floor to ceiling in the corner where the toilet is -- this lets the towels to go on the cantilevered rods and hang near the wall, but they can swing out to allow for faster air drying after use. The one I have is by Zenna, and you can remove a section to accommodate the reduced ceiling height of an RV.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zenna-Hom...10070301008005

Chuck

I would recommend putting something on the ceiling end to spread out the load. Craft stores have nice hobby plywood sheets and maybe even some square stuff. The floor is solid but the ceiling is just like the walls. Very thin wood over Styrofoam core. I would use a square foot myself.

Sudsy
Old 05-30-2018, 05:25 AM   #5
Beachnut

Thanks for the suggestion, Sudsy!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
Chuck v

Good thought Sudsy !

Perhaps my full sized diesel pusher coach has slightly more substantial ceilings, and of course it is advantageous to overall strength that the upper pole end fits only about an inch or two out of the corner where two walls meet, so the framing is right in that area. If I were to use a foot square thin plywood sheet, the pole end would be at one extreme corner, but that still might be a good idea. My towel pole has been in place for about 3 to 4 years of full timing with no issues (and almost all of the force from the added weight of towels and robes go DOWN to the floor.)

I am not familiar with the construction of the little units -- but in any case do take out a section or two of pole length to accommodate the differences between ceiling heights of a residence and an RV...you only need enough tension to hold it securely in place.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Good thought Sudsy !

I am not familiar with the construction of the little units -- but in any case do take out a section or two of pole length to accommodate the differences between ceiling heights of a residence and an RV...you only need enough tension to hold it securely in place.

Chuck

My Gulf Stream Class A has a very substantial fiberglass roof and ceiling construction. The three travel Trailers I had previously are why I made the suggestion. If your that close to the corner then yes a smaller tile would work. Maybe 4-6 inch square. I can almost picture something like that at a Micheal's Craft Store.

Sudsy