Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
Romingrob

Default 08 super nova hard starting

We bought a 2008 super nova. International with Cummings Diesel and noticed that cold starting would crank and smoke while trying to start.
Turn the key, wait for start light. Then crank 2-3 minutes stop ( smoke, fuel from exhaust)and start the process over, crank 2-3 minutes and would smoke heavily after starting. I mean really heavy smoke for a minute or three.
Then it would be fine all day. Start stop no problems.
Doesn’t show any codes according to the RV dealer. Had it back a few times because we had a 30 day garrentee.
Anyone else experience this ???
Romingrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
SlimTim

Default SN Hard Start

Hello Romingrob,

I don't believe the Gulfstream Supernovas ever came with a Cummins engine. So unless somebody has retrofitted the Cummins or possibly another engine into your 08 Supernova you have a International VT365.

Per your description it sounds as if the glow-plugs are not working on your Supernova. It could be one or more of the glow-plugs themselves have failed, or it could be the glow-plug relay or solenoid has failed. I would check the relay first and then the solenoid. Your International service department or any good truck shop should be able to trouble shoot this quickly.

Good luck
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
bhplumber

I agree with SlimTim. Mine did the same thing your explaining on the way home from the dealership I bought it from. I took it to a local shop and it was the glow plug relay. It's located in the back of the passenger side valve cover. You could visibly see it was burnt. Had I known what to look for I could have saved a few bucks and replaced it myself. Might be worth looking at. Good luck
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, hard start, starting problems, supernova