Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
Capt_Bill_USMC

Default Chasis Airconditioning

The A/C does not work on my '94 Tourmaster 8391. The fan blows warm air with the A/C set to the coldest setting. Had it checked, pressure was good, but it was low on freon.

This raises a few questions:

1. Where did the freon go?
2. Is it R134 or older impossible stuff to get?
3. How much does it hold?

A mechanic looked at it and said it was the orifice valve. Not a part that is readily available and it is not a DIY. That would require the system to be flushed and oil/freon added after changing the orifice valve. Has anyone heard of the A/C not working due to the orifice valve? If so, where can I get one? A search online is not great!

I know it is getting near the end of the season, however, freon is also needed for the defroster so I will need that in the coming months.

Thank you!
Capt_Bill_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Bill_USMC View Post
The A/C does not work on my '94 Tourmaster 8391. The fan blows warm air with the A/C set to the coldest setting. Had it checked, pressure was good, but it was low on freon.

This raises a few questions:

1. Where did the freon go?
2. Is it R134 or older impossible stuff to get?
3. How much does it hold?

A mechanic looked at it and said it was the orifice valve. Not a part that is readily available and it is not a DIY. That would require the system to be flushed and oil/freon added after changing the orifice valve. Has anyone heard of the A/C not working due to the orifice valve? If so, where can I get one? A search online is not great!

I know it is getting near the end of the season, however, freon is also needed for the defroster so I will need that in the coming months.

Thank you!
You can lose 10% of the Freon a year without a leak.
1994 was right about when they started using R134. There's a tag somewhere on the AC that says what is in it.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Capt_Bill_USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
You can lose 10% of the Freon a year without a leak.
1994 was right about when they started using R134. There's a tag somewhere on the AC that says what is in it.
Thank you! Very helpful.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
RayChez1

It could also be the vacuum valve that directs the flow on the heating ducts right under the dash. I had to replace mine almost when the coach was new and it was doing the same thing. When the air conditioner was on I would only get hot air. Had the valve replaced and bingo I had cold air. Mine was manufactured by Evans. Might check to see if the flaps are moving when you press the button.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Capt_Bill_USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
It could also be the vacuum valve that directs the flow on the heating ducts right under the dash. I had to replace mine almost when the coach was new and it was doing the same thing. When the air conditioner was on I would only get hot air. Had the valve replaced and bingo I had cold air. Mine was manufactured by Evans. Might check to see if the flaps are moving when you press the button.
Thank you! Is this valve readily accessible or must I disassemble quite a few things?

I know I only have about 4 lbs of Freon in the system. And I was told that isn’t enough.

Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

If asking about chassis/ dash A/C, it (Usually) loses (R-134a freon) through rubber hoses/ and rubber or metal fittings, but I do not agree w/ 10% loss/ year or cars could not go 10-15-yrs w/o recharge (and some do); rooftop units mainly use R-22, and should lose none, but metal tubing can suffer from corrosion or cracks w/ age.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #7
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Bill_USMC View Post
Thank you! Is this valve readily accessible or must I disassemble quite a few things?

I know I only have about 4 lbs of Freon in the system. And I was told that isn’t enough.

Thanks again!
Just like fixing anything on these coaches. IF you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to fix it, but if you have no idea how things are suppose to work, THEN I would rather pay a mechanic and probably come out ahead in the long run. I had mine fixed at the dealership because the coach was still under warranty.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote