Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
Rhodesia

Default using 50 AMP

I have a question, I have a 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager model 8368 and when using a 50 amp I noticed that if I shut off my house battery's it turns off the whole coach itself, with the house battery's off you would think you can run everything inside the coach when still hooked up to 50 amp service. When you turn on the house battery's for the coach everything works just as fine. if I'm hooked up to 50 amp the panel shows full charge for the battery's, but when I unhook the 50 amp and keep the house battery's on then the panel shows 3/4 charge and when I use the generator then it shows I'm charging the battery's and I have full charge. So I guess what I'm asking is I should be able to use 50 amp service without having to turn on my house battery's does that make any sense?
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
Frutza

Your house feeds off your house batteries, there are some items that will work with the house batteries off, but not Many. You're charger charges your batteries but the switch turns your coach on, but, with out shore power you would be on battery's, you could unplug and see how long they last, but it sounds like you get your batteries tested
Old 07-28-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
Rhodesia

When I bought this last month the dealer installed new battery's for the house coach, I also have a 65 watt solar panel on the roof. This model is different than the one I had. I had a 30 amp Gulf stream and all I had to do was hook up the 30 amp and the whole motor home by using shore power with out using the house battery's. and I had a switch to turn off the house battery's.

This model I have now is a little different I hook up 50 amp for shore power but I have to turn on the house battery's in order to use shore power. If i turn off the house battery's the whole coach is off power. There is power coming to the 50 amp cable but I if I'm hooked up to shore power I should be able to turn off the house battery's without turning off the whole coach. This model did not come with a manual that's why I'm asking maybe this coach is set up differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Your house feeds off your house batteries, there are some items that will work with the house batteries off, but not Many. You're charger charges your batteries but the switch turns your coach on, but, with out shore power you would be on battery's, you could unplug and see how long they last, but it sounds like you get your batteries tested
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Frutza

These coaches are wired differently than your old one, the coach battery switch turns on the coach with or without shore power, if you have an inverter, you will also have 110 outlets with out shore power and the batteries should still charge with the coach switch off, when plugged in of course
Old 08-04-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
legrandnormand

Send a message via Skype™ to legrandnormand

On my 2010, when plugged on to a 50 AMP, if I throw the "coach battery switch" to OFF, I won't have any lights and neither furnace, actually nothing that works from 12 VOLTS even my extensions won't operate; the converter constantly charges the batteries, so why would you cut them OFF ?
p.s. you should throw the "chassis battery switch" to OFF, the reason being that the converter does not charge the "chassis battery".
Old 08-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

TIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesia View Post
I have a question, I have a 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager model 8368 and when using a 50 amp I noticed that if I shut off my house battery's it turns off the whole coach itself, with the house battery's off you would think you can run everything inside the coach when still hooked up to 50 amp service. When you turn on the house battery's for the coach everything works just as fine. if I'm hooked up to 50 amp the panel shows full charge for the battery's, but when I unhook the 50 amp and keep the house battery's on then the panel shows 3/4 charge and when I use the generator then it shows I'm charging the battery's and I have full charge. So I guess what I'm asking is I should be able to use 50 amp service without having to turn on my house battery's does that make any sense?
1) BATTERY: It is not uncommon to find an aged battery that will show good voltage w/ NO LOAD, but w/ Load voltage drops to 0-6-volts, where it should not drop below 10 under full load?; (re: 50 amp, are you turning off w/ switch? (Guessing) maybe Converter has to receive a 12 signal from battery, or maybe a blown fuse/ tripped breaker on CONVERTER (or) bad converter/ charger component? I have myself been searching for a "sequence of operation" written description on these devices, but seems they want to call them proprietary/ hard to get TIP: Look for CONVERTER/ CHARGER info by brand/ model ##
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

I put a voltmeter on my coach battery on my 99 Conquest MH 6266, and found the CONVERTER CHARGER turns OFF when battery switch is OFF. (I had been wondering if the switch ONLY controlled Output to the Converter) but found it totally disconnects coach battery
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote