Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-29-2017, 08:44 AM   #1
Redfield

Default Converter?

Hey guys I’m new here. I just purchased a 2008 Ameri lite. Everything worked fine when I purchased it(naturally). When I plugged it in to shore power at home via adapter plug, I had no power. I do not have a battery on it. No breakers thrown or fuses blown. You could flip the main breaker and power would stay on for a few seconds and then go out. Even when power was out, I still had 120v to breakers. Eventually lights came on and stayed on. They are currently staying on but will go out intermittently. Does this sound like a converter issue to you guys? The trailer has the WFCO 8900 converter if that helps. Thanks in advance for any help!
Redfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Chuck v

The interior lights in a trailer or motorhome are operating off of the 12 volt house battery and converter...and when the rig is plugged into shore power the converter handles the load and keeps the house battery topped up at the same time.

Since the converter also charges the house battery -- if the battery is not present it may be causing an over-voltage condition that is shutting down the converter repeatedly.

Do you have a reason for the battery being removed from your rig? Try putting the battery back in place and let us know if it all works as it should...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Redfield

Thanks for the reply Chuck. I purchased it without a battery. The guy said he always used it without a battery so I figured it wasn’t a big deal. I’ll pick up a battery and try it out
Redfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
McKannick

Red, when you get that battery, get a 'deep cycle' RV battery, don't go cheap and get an automotive battery, they are two separate animals used for totally different purposes. Cheapest place I've found is this:
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter.../bci-group-31m
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote