Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
tsherv

Default Towing a Vista 19ERD

I have the opportunity to buy a 2015 Vista 19ERD with a WD hitch for $12,000. The camper is basically new. This summer we are taking a trip traveling from WI to Yellowstone NP (we will be putting on about 3,000 miles round trip). My tow vehicle is a 2008 Honda Ridgeline. It has a towing capacity of 5,000 Lbs. and hitch weight of 600 lbs. Technically I know the vehicle can pull it.

We have been looking at smaller campers like the R-pod. The R-pod is not as wide (6.5' wide), but it is almost as heavy (close to 2,800 lbs.). Again, I know that my vehicle can town it, I'm just trying to figure out if it's a good idea? From a towing standpoint, how much will I notice the extra 12" of width of the Vista? Will the wind resistance be a significant difference?

Any advice on towing the 19ERD with a V-6?
tsherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
Jhayesvt

I just joined the Owner's forum and saw your post. We just bought a Vista 19ERD a few days ago and are currently pulling it with a Tacoma. But we are going to change vehicles within the year and are considering a Ridgeline. I'm just curious about how the towing is, if you bought the Vista.
Thanks.
John Hayes
Jhayesvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Gpatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayesvt View Post
I just joined the Owner's forum and saw your post. We just bought a Vista 19ERD a few days ago and are currently pulling it with a Tacoma. But we are going to change vehicles within the year and are considering a Ridgeline. I'm just curious about how the towing is, if you bought the Vista.
Thanks.
John Hayes
Hi John,
I have a reverse question for you. I'm looking into buying a Vista 19ERD and have a 3rdgen 16' Tacoma. Are you having trouble pulling it with your Tacoma? I'm researching into dropping down from a 3800lb Jayco hybrid to reduce weight and would like to know how your Tacoma is performing while towing the 19ERD. My Tacoma does ok with my current TT but I wish I was pulling a bit less weight and the wind resistance is a little rough for the V6.

TIA,
John Borchers
Gpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Jhayesvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpatriot View Post
Hi John,
I have a reverse question for you. I'm looking into buying a Vista 19ERD and have a 3rdgen 16' Tacoma. Are you having trouble pulling it with your Tacoma? I'm researching into dropping down from a 3800lb Jayco hybrid to reduce weight and would like to know how your Tacoma is performing while towing the 19ERD. My Tacoma does ok with my current TT but I wish I was pulling a bit less weight and the wind resistance is a little rough for the V6.

TIA,
John Borchers
I bought my camper only 3 weeks ago and have towed it about 150 miles. Some of that was steep terrain, but not up a mountain or anything. The Tacoma was easily up to the task. I never felt underpowered or like the engine was straining. More importantly for me the braking felt completely under control. Hope this was helpful.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Gpatriot

Yes that helps. I just got back from Florida and my Tacoma was downshifting and revving high with every little incline to keep it moving (I think wind resistance was a huge factor).

I also took it out west to Colorado last year and it pulled my current TT up and over the big mountains fine but I guess the more I travel the more the high revving struggling to keep it at 60mph bothers me.

Hence my reason for downsizing/looking for something lighter and more aerodynamic. I'm hoping this 19ERD fits the bill but the only thing I think it's missing is a lift (because it seems to sit pretty low) and an enclosed underbelly for the cold weather.

So how are you liking it so far?
Gpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
Jhayesvt

So far so good for us. We live in Vermont so we will be winterizing in a month or so. We are both still working until next June and are then taking off for a month or so I will have a much better sense of the whole rv travel, towing ability and livability of our camper then. I am hopefully optimistic.

One thing about the Tacoma that I found after the fact. I almost always check out Consumer Reports reviews before making a mojor purchase and did not in this case. CR rates the Tacoma as the worst choice in the class of small size trucks. My transmission does not shift well in certain cases even when I am not towing. I have one more year on a 2 year lease and will definitely be getting a different type of truck. Shopping and researching will be my winter project.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
SergentCaboum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayesvt View Post
Thanks.
John Hayes
We owned a 2018 Ridgeline Sport (Canada model). Just purchased our 2014 Vista DSR (used) 3000lbs. Got it from a Québec City RV dealer and pulled it back home in the Gatineau/Ottawa area. Terrible wind coming back home, Honda worked hard... same as the big rig with their 5th wheel, but once the wind calm down, the Honda was pulling the trailer with ease. Normal RPM at 100k/m is 1800, with Vista Cruiser 2300.
SergentCaboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
Smithcd46

I tow a 2016 Vintage Cruiser 19ERD with a 2016 Honda Pilot Elite AWD. We have no problem as we travel the Western states up and over the mountains. Usually travel at 60 mph as the trailer should not go over 65 mph. You should have no problem with a Ridgeline.
Smithcd46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #9
atreis

I tow with a 2015 Pilot and have no issues at all. The Pilot is very much up to the task, so I'd imagine the Ridgeline would be too, given they're essentially the same vehicle. As above, I tow at 60.