Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-31-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
gsadmin

Default Air Horn Connection

I noticed a plug under my dash labelled Air Horn. I do not have an air horn but I suppose this connector is meant for the switch panel. What I am interested in is knowing where it ends up (under hood, in ceiling for roof mount horns?) so that I might connect up an air horn.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:31 AM   #2

Default Wire connection

The only place I can think of where that wire would go to, would be to the switch selector on your panel. Mine has a switch that you can select regular electric horn or air horn or both at the same time. The two air horns on my coach all that is connected to them is an air line.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
gsadmin

Default Re: Wire connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
The only place I can think of where that wire would go to, would be to the switch selector on your panel. Mine has a switch that you can select regular electric horn or air horn or both at the same time. The two air horns on my coach all that is connected to them is an air line.
Yes, the connector is the one that goes to the switch (which is not installed in my coach)...However, the question I have is where does the other end end up. In other words, where is your air horn selenoid and/or compressor. That is where I will want to locate mine and where the other end of this wire goes....that is what I need to know.
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 06-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #4

Default Air Horn option

Are there 2 pink wires in the connector (maybe labeled AHV & AHR)?

* One of those (AHR) should measure 12v when you "honk your (steering wheel) horn".

* The other (AHV) is intended to connect to & power an air horn relay solenoid coil and the air horn valve coil.

You would probably find AHV as a spare in your DC fuse & relay compartment.

It would be too good to be true that the wires were actually labeled.

NOTE: The AHV line is NOT intended to directly power the air horn motor... A relay is to be used. The spare pink w/black tracer wire(s) for that option might also be found in the DC fuse & relay compartment.

So my question is: How does the air horn work? Why is there an electric pump & a motor?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
gsadmin

Funny enough, the connector (not connected of course) under the dash IS labelled Air Horn, and the wires have the callouts you mention printed on the wires themselves.

This makes me think that these wires probably lead to another connector under the hood where the air horn "guts" would go. That is what I am trying to locate. If someone has an Ultra Supreme with factory airhorn, a photo of this install under the hood would help.

As far as what makes up an air horn. Generally there are four components to the more sophisticated (read: loud) types. They are: Horns, Air Pump (compressor), Air Tank, and solenoid (Electric Air Release Valve). In addition there are usually a switch that allows you to toggle between the cheesy factory horn and the big blaster and then there are usually a relay or two.
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 06-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
RJ82much

Look in your DC compartment for one or both of those pink wires, folded back as spares. My compartment is the one directly behind the driver's side front wheel (the flooded-to-the-lip compartment). Likewise, the pink with black tracer should appear there as well as a folded back spare because that is where they would want to locate the control relay.

I'm guessing on the location, because as you see in the diagram, the wiring is all GS add-on. The relay solenoid power source arrives via Chevy workhorse AE-2129 wiring harness (the steering column horn button). Your pink wires at the under-dash connector (actually a plug for the switch I assume) enter the AE-2022 dash/distribution harness at the 15-pin connector & enter the AE-2174 Step Harness. This harness feeds other devices that are in the DC compartment; hence an assumption that your air horn wiring lands there. I observed probably a dozen unused, folded-back wires in my compartment. Fortunately, they are all above the high-water level.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
gsadmin

Thanks Bob, I will look there when I get home.
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 06-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #8
gsadmin

So here is what i found so far...I will try and post pictures later...

The switch connector has these wires (printed on the insulation): a Ground, Dash Illuminators, Airhorn Feed, Airhorn Valve (maybe one more, but I don't think so).

On this connector, the Airhorn Valve goes hot when one depresses the steering wheel horn button.

Then, over near the fuse box in the wiring rats-nest are two heavier guage wires harnessed together and by themselves that are labelled "Air Horn Feed" and "Ground". The "Airhorn Feed" wire is hot.

Now, , on the passenger side, there are two wires (Air Horn Valve(i think), and Ground) that are in their own harness.

So, anyone with a diagram, how do I connect the standard airhorn system. The standard systems have a solenoid for the valve, and then they have a switch so one can toggle between wimpy horn and air horn.

I can figure this all out myself, no problem, but I would rather save myself and hour of labor.

Help...
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 06-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
gsadmin

So, after some additional contemplation and referring to a wiring diagram of a "similar" coach :P I realize that the thicker wires under the dash go to the airhorn "pump" and to the switched side of the solenoid. So wiring will have to be done to bring those wires out under the hood. The existing wires under the hood will be for the solenoid coil (relay coil) on the airhorn such that they power-on when the horn button is depressed.

Since I want to have the dash horn and the airhorn work independently and this type of installation does not allow for that, I will cut and hard wire the air-horn-feed wire to 12V feed at the connector and then install a momentary off-on contura switch in the panel. If I were to follow the way it was intended to be installed, both the stock as well as the air horn would blast simultaneously unless I disconnected the factory horn. I prefer to have both available.

If anyone has an actual factory installed air horn, please help me out with any additional info you can provide. Factory lurkers, this means you too...
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
Larry

I have a 34' 99 Sunvoyger with air horns and they are layed out as you described. The factory did put a disconnect switch on the dash that lets you toggle between horns. The small pancake airtank is located on the lower passenger side firewall with the compressor mounted above it. last year the compressor took a dump and stock replacement was somewhere over $125.00. I went to a salvage yard and took the air pump off of a later model olds $25.00 and a small brass connector from the hoseman and it works better that the old one.

You got to love those horns

Larry