Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
nikie713

Default Help making prairie Schooner more weather friendly

We purchased a PS with the artic package (second owners) and found nothing could be further from the truth. We use it up north in the winter and such and it has cost more to heat and cool then a 2000 sq foot house. Does anyone know what we can do to seal the slides if it is going to be parked for a 6 month+ time. I agree this has been a hot summer but we didn't plan on spending more for electric then the payment on the camper itself. How can we tell if the artic package was actually installed.. does that include extra insulation in the walls or ceilings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Denise.
nikie713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Maggie

I think you need to check with the company to find out just what
the artic package includes. I had one unit and the only thing that was included in the artic package was the heated holding tanks and mirrors.
When they say "artic package" you think it means more. You expect
double/triple pane windows and extra fiberglass, thats not what you get.
You should be able to get this information from the company even if you are the second owner.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Maggie

the artic package includes. I had one unit and the only thing that was included in the artic package was the heated holding tanks and mirrors.
You should be able to get this information from the company even if you are the second owner.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Maggie

Old 08-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Coolbreeze

None of the trailers excluding full time trailers have decent insulation. Artic Package could be anything and more often then not it is more marketing then substance and I feel that is the same across all manufacturers. Put pillows on the roof vents. That is the worst heat loss followed by the windows. If you don't have a unit with thermopane windows then your out of luck. Best suggestion I could make is get a very high efficiency Indoor Type Propane heater but at that you looking at $500. At sustained temps below 30 then the water hose will freeze anyways.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
Jim

Default Re: Help making prairie Schooner more weather friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie713
We purchased a PS with the artic package (second owners) and found nothing could be further from the truth. We use it up north in the winter and such and it has cost more to heat and cool then a 2000 sq foot house. Does anyone know what we can do to seal the slides if it is going to be parked for a 6 month+ time. I agree this has been a hot summer but we didn't plan on spending more for electric then the payment on the camper itself. How can we tell if the artic package was actually installed.. does that include extra insulation in the walls or ceilings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Denise.
we were at the factory in june for the back home ralley and after seeing how they build them we decided to traid our Yellowstone fifth wheel in for a motor home they are better insulated for the cold weather. Olso the top dog in the towable dept is a jurk and would not listen to the concerns of the owners and came of with answeres to put down the person asking the question. After his tour I found out my yellowstone was built better than a new one.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

I really hate to say it, but Jim is correct with his statements. We took the Towables Factory tour at the same time. It was the first time I have ever taken it and I was very disappointed in what I witnessed being done on the assembly line.

Insulation that should have been placed in the floor/frame and it was left out. When it was pointed out to GS personnel they just looked at it and us, BUT did nothing about it. Routed the water tank fill line thru part of the frame then up and over one frame member, then back thru the next frame member. And one wonders why the tank won't fill properly???

That was on a Prairie Schooner, wonder what they do on the lower line models???

I agree with Jim that the Class A motorhomes are much better insulated than the towables we witnessed on the assembly line in June. The motorhome tour have I taken four times so I am very familar with the assembly of them. Of course the bottom line cost is higher for the Class A, but the quality should be in the Prairie Schooner in the construction, but what we saw that is hidden during assembly, a lot is left out.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
daveg48

I know this is not timely but it may help someone. I think more of the problem is in the windows than the slide. I could find no help about storm windows so I made my own. Turns out I did not have to use them this last winter as I was not out on the road. I do think I have an improvement that will help someone through the winter thought. I bought 3/16" plexiglass that just fits the part of the windows that open. I then used hook and loop along bothe sides and a self stick foam along the bottom and top. The only thing that is left of the window frame itself is the self stick part of the Velco along the sides. This not only creates an extra dead air space but helps stop wind. The sides of the windows are then plugged with some other type of foam that can be cut to shape.
Not tried and true but sure won't hurt.
daveg48 is offline   Reply With Quote