Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Curt Krueger

Default Shades

We have a 2005 Crescendo, and have been having a problem with the shades that are installed in this unit. We had a Sun Voyager prior to this MH with the day/night type of shades, the fabric type with the two density of shear for day/night. Never a problem with these.

Our Crescendo has a different type, made of some kind of material which feels like cardboard and is only one density for night or blackout use. The problem with them is when they are down for a week or so , when you go to open them they do not fold on the pleats, they just gather up with folds. They are too stiff. Not a good choice of material for this application.

We called the manufacturer, Specialty Window Coverings, last Feb, explained the problem and they agreed to replace two of the worse ones which are in the bedroom. They had me count the pleats and measure the opening. They said the number of pleats per foot was wrong and replaced them after we mailed the old ones back. Those are doing exactly the same thing again, eight months later and all of the others are just as bad.

Anybody else had this problem? I called GS and they suggested calling the manufacturer again. Was not their problem. I placed a call to Specialty last week asking for some help, not necessary full replacement at no cost with another type of fabric, but at least a little help with the cost.
I was told somebody would get back to me soon. No call as yet. This is not going to be cheap to refit. Any suggestions.

Curt
Old 11-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
lockdoc

I have had similar issues from time to time with my day/night shades in the 5er. If I go slow when pulling them up and help start the pleat they work better. As long as I know the issue is there and how to deal with it I guess I never considered it a problem. If I store the shades up as suggested then I don't have the issue at all.

Good luck with the issue.....I hope you get satisfactory response from the mfgr.
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
coolchas11

A salesman told us to use spray starch to keep firm pleats. We are hesitant since there is the risk of staining the material with the spray.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
hyall

Default Re: Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Krueger
We have a 2005 Crescendo, and have been having a problem with the shades that are installed in this unit. We had a Sun Voyager prior to this MH with the day/night type of shades, the fabric type with the two density of shear for day/night. Never a problem with these.

Our Crescendo has a different type, made of some kind of material which feels like cardboard and is only one density for night or blackout use. The problem with them is when they are down for a week or so , when you go to open them they do not fold on the pleats, they just gather up with folds. They are too stiff. Not a good choice of material for this application.

We called the manufacturer, Specialty Window Coverings, last Feb, explained the problem and they agreed to replace two of the worse ones which are in the bedroom. They had me count the pleats and measure the opening. They said the number of pleats per foot was wrong and replaced them after we mailed the old ones back. Those are doing exactly the same thing again, eight months later and all of the others are just as bad.

Anybody else had this problem? I called GS and they suggested calling the manufacturer again. Was not their problem. I placed a call to Specialty last week asking for some help, not necessary full replacement at no cost with another type of fabric, but at least a little help with the cost.
I was told somebody would get back to me soon. No call as yet. This is not going to be cheap to refit. Any suggestions.

Curt
yep same thing here they told me to beef it up with starch or sizing so it will stiff up also my old 2004 Soutwind had the same problem
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Curt Krueger

Default Shades

This is a follow up to a thread I placed in November regarding a problem with our MH shades. As I stated ,the shades did not work properly from the first day we got this coach. The material was very stiff and did not fold on the pleats.

Specialty Window Coverings of Elkhart finally contacted me about the problem and agreed to replace all of the shades for half price. I selected the new material from samples submitted by them, shipped the old units to them and within ten days we have our new shades back and installed. What a difference.
I could not be happier with the sevice provided by this company. GS got it right using this vendor however, these companies need to do more research into material selections and testing. These MH's and RV's pose unique problems in normal use. The life cycle testing is not done prior to installing which leaves the testing and refinement up to the buyer.

Curt
Old 01-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
RJ82much

Curt,

Thanks for taking the time to post your follow-up. It's great to hear praise for a company such as Specialty Window Coverings (Elkhart, IL) who has worked hard to deserve it.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
ghamblen

Spray the shades with a light mist of distilled water and raise them up to keep the pleates closed for a day. It also helps if the interior of the coach is warm. The next day they will work properly. When they start bunching up again repeat this prodedure. It has work for us.
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote