Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
nuthut

Default Waste water overfill

What happens when the waste water tanks are overfilled? Does the shower and toilet simply not drain or does something else happen? My sensors are not very accurate and it is hard to tell what level the tanks are at. Thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
fatboylust

In my coach the gray tank backs up into the shower before it overflows; the toilet produces a bubble with each flush once the tank level reaches the tank vent pipe connection (maybe 98% full). We use the bubble as the time to dump signal for the black tank and as we rarely dry camp don't worry much about the gray water tank. The bath room sink and toilet drains into the black tank; everything else the gray tank.

Hope this helps
Old 05-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
mfa

In mine the gray water starts dumping out onto the ground when it is full. It does not back up into the shower.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa
In mine the gray water starts dumping out onto the ground when it is full. It does not back up into the shower.
That doesn't sound right, I think you have a loose or missing vent pipe.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
03heritagerider

As far as I know, all of them are designed so the grey tank will back up into the lowest point, which is the shower drain.
I'd be concerned if mine were running on the ground. Only because it could be running somewhere else before it starts to run onto the ground, like in one of the compartments.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03heritagerider
As far as I know, all of them are designed so the grey tank will back up into the lowest point, which is the shower drain...
Mine sounds like a better design to me -- I'd rather have grey water on the ground than in the coach.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

The gray tanks are supposed to be a sealed unit with the only vent being the vent pipe.
If gray water runs at onto the ground when it is full, then the seal at the inlet pipe(s) at the top of the tank is bad around the inlet pipe(s).
I am really surprised that you do not get an odor into the coach or at least around the coach.
BTW, gray water running onto the ground is illegal in many states.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
... BTW, gray water running onto the ground is illegal in many states.
Ron
Understand. Pouring gasoline on the ground is illegal, too. But if I accidently overfill my gas tank, I'd rather the overflow spill on the ground than in the coach. Same is true with accidental overflow of gray water.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
03heritagerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa
Mine sounds like a better design to me
I think we just need to know that you understand that what you are referring to as a "better design" is not a design. It is most likely a leak in the waste containment system. That is never good...environmentally or hygienically.

There shouldn't be an accidental overflow of any waste water. The design is to allow the gray waste to become visible in the shower to alert you to dump the tank.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
GStream40
Site Team

Guess you also believe that it would be better for your black tank to flow onto the ground when overflowed rather than back up into your toilet also??

Well I hope you never have a lot beside us when you overflow your grey tank.

Grey water backing up into the shower is a controlled awareness to alert you to dump your tank. I does not run on the floor or anywhere else unless you ignore it which I don't believe anyone could.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
Guess you also believe that it would be better for your black tank to flow onto the ground when overflowed rather than back up into your toilet also??

Well I hope you never have a lot beside us when you overflow your grey tank.
Excuse me? Just where did I ever say or imply that? Your leap in logic is unwarranted.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
03heritagerider

Default Re: Waste water overfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthut
What happens when the waste water tanks are overfilled? Does the shower and toilet simply not drain or does something else happen? My sensors are not very accurate and it is hard to tell what level the tanks are at. Thanks
Nuthut,
Discounting to where this discussion has diverted, I hope your original question has been answered.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
nuthut

Yes, thanks, my question is answered. I eventually would have found out what happens when my 13 year old overfills the grey tank, but now I am not as conerned when it happens. Thanks to all.