Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-16-2006, 06:23 AM   #1
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul
Default Martinsburg RV

I purchased my coach from Martinsburg RV (in PA) in January 06. I got a call from Gulfstream and they asked how I happy I was with my service. The nice lady ran down a list of things that were fixed for PDI. Most things on the list I never noticed but were fixed prior to the PDI. The PDI was good and I gave them high marks.
Yesterday I ordered a number of things to be installed and made an appiontment to get the installation and some warrenty things taken care of. I don't have a big list and everything is minor in my opinion. I got an appiontment on 29 Mar 06. They said they have a big show next week and that they couldn't get me in until after that. I am pleased with the appiontment time and understand about the show putting me off for a week.
The parts guy was great and even gave me a good deal on all the parts I ordered. He came within $20 of an internet price for the inverter which will save me $700.00 dollars.
This dealership has been great to me and I wanted to pass it on. If the service appiontment goes as smoothly I will be very pleased. I will report back on the service appiontment and how things turn out with this little project.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul

I got home last night from the dealer. I arrived there on Tuesday night and they hooked me up to power and cable. So I entertained myself with sci fi movies and beer.

Wednesday morning they pulled me in at 8am and started working. It was clear that this was going to be a long job by 1pm. The dealer put two techs on the projects (Brian and Jason) and they worked at a good pace. They checked in with me for things like where the install was going to be and if that was ok and such things. They custom made a steal bracket to hold the inverter and vented the storage area they put it in.

At the end of the day they hooked me up to power and electric again and I stayed the night. Thursday morning at 8am they pulled me in and started working again. They used all the proper sized cable and custom made each. This includes the battery cables. They took care of all my warrenty issues and mounted the inverter control panel right were I asked them to.

The techs let me watch and ask questions and such. Everyone there was very nice and helpful. One of the owners was an electrician for 29 years and he gave advice to me an explained how things were wired up and why. I have a back ground with electronic and wiring myself and it was clear to me that noone there was trying to BS me.

All went well and I have a professional installation. Everything works and I am very happy, well except for the bill...ouch. The labor was expensive but worth it. It was clear to me that I would might have been able to do it myself but I know that I would have probably used lighter cables and would not have ended up with such a fine installation. So over all I am very happy with everything.

By the way the dealership has a cafe called the Gulf Stream Cafe and the food is fantastic. I ate all my meals there and enjoyed it very much.

When I got the bill for all the work I was shown the hours billed and all the parts and everything was explained. I watched the work being done so I know it was right. All the parts prices were as quoted to me over the phone.

I highly recommend this dealer for service. They have a wifi system and I was able to surf the net in the waiting area. That was a big plus too.

After all that was done they washed my coach and vacumed it while I was going over the bill with the service manager. I thought that was very nice of them and I appreciated it.

I now have 4 group 27 12v batteries with a water supply system and a RS 3000 3000w inverter with monitor panel. I also got all my warrenty issues taken care of. While none of the issues were very disabiling they were taken care of without question.

We will retest everything this weekend on our camping trip and I am sure it will all work as designed.

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions about my experience please feel free to ask. Happy Camping.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
RJ82much

A fantastic report with KUDOS to Martinsburg RV (PA). Thanks for taking the time to lets us know of a reputable, quality dealer.

I spend a lot of time in that "PA neighborhood" & will remember the recommendation.

My dealer, who claims he is the "largest GS dealer on the face of the earth" doesn't provide overnight hookups, will send you to a pay-to-dump location if needed, & pretty much keeps everything a deep, dark secret, as GS has trained them to do (apparently).

As for proper electrical connections, another shop (NOT GS authorized), who promotes themselves as heads above the factory service, connected my toad lighting plugs, with the supposed provision that my toad battery would be charging as we motored along in the RV. I thought that would be a good idea because of the slow drain due to the Blue Ox brake. The repair shop didn't understand the concept of ground-return path and never provided it. My toad lights are a completely separate, independant system, so their ground doesn't count for battery charging. Glad I haven't had to rely on a charged battery yet

I just hate it when, as some guy is bragging about how much of an expert he is, he's messing up the project. I've never returned to that little shop since.

Thanks again "T", for the very valuable report.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

We purchased our first coach from Martinsburg in August '02 and were very satisfied with the deal and the service. Great people then and I understand they are just as great now after some changes in ownership.

We wish we would have purchased our present coach from them.

Sirpilla RV in Akron, Ohio has the worst service.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote