Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-07-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul
Default towing a Jeep Wrangler

I know my signature says I have a Jeep Wrangler Toad, however, I have yet to tow it. We are staying home this weekend to do some stuff around the house. The weather is suppose to be rainy anyway. I just got the Blue Ox Acclaim tow bar and base plate for my 2003 Wrangler. I also have a Brake Buddy. I will be mounting everything and hooking it up so I can tow next weekend.

Does anyone tow a Wrangler?
What is the proper way to tow it?

I know I can tow it 4 down. I know I put the transfer case in neutral and put the transmission in 1st gear. But, do I put the key in and turn it so the wheels do not lock? Should the key be in acc or the first position, or not in the ignition at all? Any help would be welcome. Thanks for your replies.

Happy Camping.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
RJ82much

I tow an automatic, 4x4 ZR2 Blazer w/Autotrac transfer case (neutral position for flat towing).

My towing prep consists of:
1) Drive toad to RV & attach tow bar, keep engine running
2) Transfer case to neutral
3) Transmission to neutral
4) Key off to the position between "remove key" and "on"
Note: chime sounds when door is opened with key in this position, but guages are "dead" - no power drain
5) Attach Blue Ox Apollo brake system to brake pedal & test

The steering must NOT be locked (yes to "Key in ignition"). You will notice that the steering wheel turns as your toad follows your MH.

I never realized there was an "off" position with the ignition switch, that unlocks the wheels, but doesn't power up the electrical system. It's there on my GM vehicles at least.

Final reminder....... Never NEVER EVER pull the pins on your tow bar, releasing the vehicle, till you've either set your vehicle brakes, placed it in park or gear w/transfer case re-engaged. Well, that is if you don't wish to chase your driverless toad down the highway, or pull your tow bar out of the grill, along with potentially severed fingers....

I prefer to perform the procedure by myself - less chance for distraction & therefore mistakes.

AND, BTW, from sad personal experience, should the break-away switch separate, your toad brakes will be applied. Unfortunately, your RV has so much power that it doesn't care. That little 2 mile stint has cost me front & rear brakes, rotors, and (big AND in a GM) both front wheel bearing assemblies (that is spelled >$>$> ABS speed sensors)...

No distractions!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
TSoul

I just wanted to post a follow up on my first towing experience.

I am happy to report that everything went smoothly with no damage to anything. Prayer works .

I hardly felt the Jeep and it was easy to hook up and take off. I was glad I waited to tow until I had a the new motorhome which has a back up camera. It added to my peice of mind knowing I could keep an eye on it. I felt safe and prepared for problems with the equipment I purchased ie. brake buddy with breakaway sensors.

Thanks for your reply and Happy Camping to all.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
TSoul

Still towing the Wrangler around and we have had no problems. Its a fine little toad and fun to take in the mud and drive around with the top off. We are having a great time with it and it has added a lot of flexibility to our RVing lifestyle. Happy Camping.