Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
21hokie

Default TV Antenna Question

Hey folks.....thanks in advance for any tips and help you can provide. So, some quick history. My wife and I have been interested in camping for some time, but haven't wanted to jump into things. We've taken our time and two fantastic deals fell into our laps in July. I picked up a Ford F250 XLT superduty diesel and a 2007 Gulf Stream Canyon Trail 33ft fifth wheel and we are sooooo excited. We took our first trip with the family last week; staying at Holiday Travel Park at Virginia Beach. Everything from the drive there to the setup to the vacation to the tear down to the drive home went really well. My only complete and total failure was the TV.

Everybody around us picked up several channels. We could pick up nothing. This particular camper has an entertainment center adjacent to the superslide. On the side wall, there is a 110 receptacle, and two separate coax plates. The previous owner told me one is for cable and one is for the over the air antenna, but I couldn't remember which was which......so I tried them both, several times. I pointed the antenna in the same direction everybody else had theirs pointed. I'm using a 32" LCD HDTV. I had a buddy do the set up with auto channel search with "air" selected and got NOTHING! Some people have asked if the "booster" was turned on. I've looked for the booster but simply can't find it. Does the thing hide?

Again, your input is greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
mfa

If you have the standard "bat-wing" crankup antenna, the booster needs to be on in order to amplify the incoming signal. Normally, the booster is built into a standard-size electrical wall plate. There is a small red push button and a small red light. When you push the button, the red light comes on, indicating the booster is on. You push the button again to turn it off. My booster plate also has a 12-volt outlet ("cigarette lighter" hole) built into it and a TV antenna connector. Mine is on the bottom side of the cabinet above the kitchen sink.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
21hokie

Default FOUND it!!

The "cigarette lighter" was the clue that caused the little button to reveal itself. It was up in the bunkroom!! Thanks for the help!