Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
RayHarkness

Default Hot Water not flowing at all

Ok...now I should be able to figure this one out..but.....
We have a 2002 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser.

We are having problems with some sort of air lock, or flow problem. You can turn on the hot water in the shower, NOTHING....pump is on...
however, if you go to the sink, and flip the single lever on the faucet to cold, then slowly over to HOT, you can usualy get the hot water flowing. This it not making sense. I have had problems in the past, with the INLET plug not being tight on the outside.

So, somehow, switching on a single lever faucet from cold, slowly over to Hot, the hot starts. There are no leaks, as the pump does not cycle. After you do this, your good for awhile.

Any ideas??? I am missing something...so...going to the main source here!!!
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
03heritagerider

Default Re: Hot Water not flowing at all

I had two similar problems in my house. One was almost identical to your's. The other problem was with a dual handle faucet. The hot water actually turned off as the water got warmer. You could litteraly see the handle turn.

In both cases, I replaced the faucets and the problems were fixed. I was told it was probably the rubber gaskets or washers were expanding too much or too little, thus effecting the flow.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
RayHarkness

thats an idea....let me do some checking..it seems well.but worth checking into...I might check the outside shower faucet too!!! who knows..
Thanks for the thoughts on this one..r
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
larrybell

I had a small problem this year after I "de-winterized" the motorhome. I could not get water to flow in the bathroom sink. It turns out that debris was blocking the screen on the outlet of the two faucets.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
RayHarkness

let me double check that. The water will start flowing when lever is over to cold..slowly work it back over to HOT side, and all water flow stops. Then back over to cold, get good flow of cold water, then work it slowly back over to the hot side, no flow, but after a few times doing this, the hot water will start flowing, just like normal..and all is well.

I am still thinking somehow there is an air lock or something. It will work, after playing it like this, more of a nuisance...curious if others have had similar problems....

bigger problems with my fridge!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
03heritagerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by raharkness
slowly work it back over to HOT side, and all water flow stops
After your second post, I'd be willing to bet that the problem is in the faucet
Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
RayHarkness

you know..was thinking the same..but ALL the faucest do the same thing, until I use one to get it all running with good flow in the hot water lines. I am wondering if there is a pop off value on the hot water tank, maybe run some water out of the hot water tank? gotta do some deep thinking on this one....!!!!

we get good hot water flow after it starts....I think it just doesn't like me and the water wants to stay in the coach, not go down in the GRAY water Tank.fighting all the way!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
03heritagerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03heritagerider
I think it just doesn't like me and the water wants to stay in the coach, not go down in the GRAY water Tank.fighting all the way!
Perhaps your problem is not plumbing...you may need an exorcist
Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
RayHarkness

it just may come to that..

oooh wah ha ha...oooo wah ha ha...ooo wah haha....poppa poo duh poppa poo duh..
whooosh!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
Nanaeve

There is suppost to be some air in the hot water tank. I sounds to me like you have something preventing the tank from filling and so all it has is air in it. After de-winterizing or not using it for a while, the first thing I do is run just the hot water side and clear all the air, I do this on both sinks and the shower. I look forward to seeing what you ultimately find.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #11
RayHarkness

I am tending to agree with you...that there is air in there somehow. I did have a leak in the outside shower, replaced a hose out there (the hand wash hose) put all back together. I suspect this could be the problem.

Maybe I will purge both lines, run both clear, and start from scratch. I know I can make it work, just messing around..but its aggravating and I waste water getting it going properly.

Let me do some more checking, and try to work from pump to each spigot and get good flow...

Ray
Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
RayHarkness

OK>>FYI..I DID find the problem..forgot to post back.
just outside the HOT water heater, there is an inline flow restrictor type valve. It only allows water to flow AWAY from hot water heater, and into the system. This prevents hot water from creeping thru the plumbing toward the sinks. The RV guy said this is common. We took it off and the spring and back flow preventer was plugging up. We just removed it totaly. He said most people do. This actually is better because the hot water is further into the plumbing lines, faster hot water at the appropriate spigots.
All is well now in river city...except for the leaks I had in some of the wierdest valves near the water mainfold to drain out lines. They ALL started to leak..and the plumbing lines were of a strange dimension. Took them all out of the lines..and created our own drain lines down and out...but seldom drain tanks in Florida for FREEZING!! This backflow preventer is just behind the hot water heater...