Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
rjf7g

Default Thrilled with Innsbruck 36FRS with Front Queen

My dealer installed my new Innsbruck 36FRS with Front Queen on 3/14 and I am heading down to "the lake" again tomorrow to finish getting it ready for the season. I haven't spent the night in it yet, but I am sure happy with it so far. I chose Gulfstream because of the dealer - a fabulous husband and wife setup in Bedford, VA - www.grandviewtrailersales.com - I would recommend them to anyone!

I found a few small things in my initial walkthrough and The GTS gang fixed them all as well as a few things they found that I didn't.

I have never owned a new trailer before. What things should I "just do" because they are best practice? Does anyone else have this model? They are hard to find and I had to order mine...are there any model specific quirks?

You can read about the installation at http://www.rvusa.com/forum/mbbs22/forum ... =5&start=1
Old 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
rjf7g

Default After living in it for 8 days...

...I discovered a few "kinks." The number 1 kink is the uneven heating...when it got cold last week, we turned on the furnace only to be cooked out of the rear bedroom and frozen out of the front bedroom. The furnace is located adjacent to the rear bedroom and NO heat makes it to the duct in the front bedroom. I experimented with covering the vent in the rear bedroom and it seems to push a little air through to the front while making the rear bedroom livable. I purchased a vent cover with a damper from Lowe's and will install it this coming weekend. I called my dealer today and they are ordering a round vent cover with a damper for the bathroom. I am hoping to be able to install that as well. When both bedrooms are in use, perhaps they can both be made comfortable. I would rather not do a space heater as there is, well, no space in the front bedroom for one.

I didn't have problems with my 27' Citation heating unevenly...is this a Gulfstream issue or a issue with length of the unit or floor plan or a problem with my unit?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
2007 Kingsport

You stated that no heat was making it to the front bedroom when the furnace is running. Does the vent blow any air at all? Or does it blow only cold air?
The amount of air should be pretty close to the flow in the rear bedroom. If it isn't, then it is possible that the duct work going to the front bedroom is either blocked or not connected. Either way, this is a fairly easy fix once you locate the actual problem.
If there is a lot of air coming out of the heating duct in the front, but it is cold, then that would indicate a lack of proper insulation of the duct work going to the front bedroom. If this is the case, then you may be stuck with poorly designed duct work. This can be fixed, but is not nearly as easy as a blocked duct.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Coolbreeze

I have a Mako 28' 5'er and most of the air goes to the living area with little going to the front or rear bedrooms. YOu would have to block the living area vents to rectify that so the registers will come in handy.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze
I have a Mako 28' 5'er and most of the air goes to the living area with little going to the front or rear bedrooms. YOu would have to block the living area vents to rectify that so the registers will come in handy.
Ditto, I changend the 2" flexible duct that was going to the bunkhouse with 4" and added a vent under the kitchen counter that points towards the front bedroom. This greatly improved the heating, GS picked up the tab for the mods, oh and they also gave me a 15000BTU AC with a heat pump to replace my 13500 btu AC!!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
rjf7g

Unless I cover the vent in the back bedroom, no air makes it to the vent in the front bedroom. If I cover the vent in the back bedroom, some air flows but it is not nearly at the volume of air that comes through the duct in the living room and it is not as warm, but it isn't cold.

So, it sounds like there could be blockage and lack of insulation in the ducting.

I am going to install a vent covers with a damper on the two vents closest to the furnace. If that doesn't solve the problem, I am going to ask my dealer to take a shot at it.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
rjf7g

...and, I have a 30,000 BTU furnace and a 15,000 BTU AC. Do all of the GS 15,000 BTU ACs have a "heat pump"? How do you tell if it does or not? How do you use it if it does? Thanks!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g
...and, I have a 30,000 BTU furnace and a 15,000 BTU AC. Do all of the GS 15,000 BTU ACs have a "heat pump"? How do you tell if it does or not? How do you use it if it does? Thanks!
This is the easy way to tell, also your thermostat would have a heat pump mode.
http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/4kJsb...aveas=IM000860
(I tried to post this as an image,but for some reason it will not work)
Old 04-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
rjf7g

I don't recall any mention of "heat pump," but I will check it out. Thanks for the help.

My dealer delivered a new vent cover with shut off to my camper...I have gotten great service and am confident that if these "user installable" things don't fix it, he will have his professionals take a crack at it.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #10
RJ82much

From what I understand, there are 3 ways you can get your roof-top "environmental" unit.

1) Dometic would supply a straight, AC unit (13,500 or 15,000 BTU)

2) The unit could be outfitted with a heat strip for auxiliary heat. I believe they claim that all ACs are prewired for the heat strip, though the strip is not included if not ordered with it. This strip would be an electrical heater, though I haven't seen the wattage rating.

3) The heat pump unit includes a reversing valve, would be labeled "heat pump" because that is a separate factory product. A heat pump works by basically running the AC backwards. That is why the heat pump has identical ratings in either heat or cool mode.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #11
rjf7g

I installed the a round vent with a damper in the bathroom (provided by my dealer) and a rectangular one in the back bedroom (I purchased at Lowe's). These managed to make the back bedroom reasonable with outside temperatures around 45 at night and the thermostat set at 65. The front bedroom would not heat up past 57 even with the door open for about 2 hours. I decided to scrap my test because the living area dropped in temperature and I am an energy miser. With the front bedroom door closed and the two back vents closed, the living room/kitchen, bathroom, and back bedroom are comfortable.

I felt the floor after the furnance was on for a while and could clearly feel a drop in the temperature as I was following what seemed to be the duct once I got to the dinette. I have given all of this information to my dealer and asked him to check for a leak, poor insulation around the ducting, and blockage as well as to investigate options with Gulfstream. I will let you all know what happens!

There is nothing on the AC that indicates "heat pump."

Thanks for all of your suggestions and thoughts!