Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Texas TC

Default Final suspension upgrade SuperNova (Road King shocks)

Today, I bit the bullet and ordered Road King front shocks to complete my suspension upgrade. I am not the first to try these shocks on a Nova but I don't recall if anyone has added them with an ACE air suspension upgrade. I will get the shocks delivered from California either Friday or Monday. Although we don't have travel plans until the end of the month, I know I will take it out for a test drive following the installation. I will report the results after the test drive and certainly after out next Arizona trip which is tentatively planned for the end of this month.

TxTC

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Wildblue

Default Re: Final suspension upgrade SuperNova (Road King shocks)

Excellent, TC. I'm really interested to hear all about how this goes for you!

37' 2008 GS Conquest Endura 6362 Class "C+", International Chassis w/diesel VT365
Wildblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
Brian

I was hoping someone else was going to try this first, let me know what you think.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Texas TC

The Roadking shocks arrived yesterday from California. I started the installation at about 1 o'clock CDT and completed it by myself at around 3. The hardest part was getting the nuts broke loose from the bolts. After I did that on all four, it was a piece of cake.

Today, I took a short drive up to Oklahoma and back (about a 100 miles round trip). I really love these shocks. The first thing I noticed was how stable the coach felt. In corners, it no longer tries to lean as it did before. Next, the float or porpoising is GONE. Hit a wavy place in the road and the coach remains settled with no bounce at all.

I drove up and back mostly with only my left hand on the wheel. I was driving the speed limit of 70 and the coach felt great. There was a slight wind coming back and passing semi's was not noticeable though that has never been a real issue with the International chassis.

Having said all the things I like about these shocks, they may not be for everyone. First of all, they are danged expensive, $750.00 delivered to my door. Second, they take all the harsh bumps out of the road but leave you with some of the "feel" of the road. The tires stay flat on the pavement which means I did feel some of the small divots in the pavement but not of the washes or bumps. Kinda weird.

For me, I am extremely pleased and would do it again. I just wanted to put the road "feel" caviet in there so you would all know that you are not riding on a cloud. I feel the combination of the Roadking shocks and ACE suspension system is a perfect marriage.

Below you can see the beefy size of these things and shots of them installed on my International chassis:

Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Brian

Are they adjustable??
Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Texas TC

These are not adjustable. They can be rebuilt though.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Gemini John

TC, where did you get those??? Looks like something Santhruff would build. I'm sure you will post results. With your help, I am ready to install the air ride 810 on our 6372 (The Carrot) next weekend with my crew. I'll post pics and results to the forum. My recovery from rotator cuff surgery has went slow(it sucks). But, being on race restriction until June, I can get a lot of projects done. Next is the Vuecube 3000 and rear sat dish for the wife, then who knows what. Own a Supernova, who says you have to drop the big bucks in a Renegade to tow to the races in comfort and style. Happy Easter all, I'll report soon HJ
Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Texas TC

I bought the shocks from RoadKing Shocks in California. I think they also build off road racing shocks. The link is below:

http://www.roadkingshocks.com/

Old 04-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Wildblue

Well, shoot, TC. You're tempting me more and more. Since I'm still a month+ out from taking delivery of my (used) RV, i still don't have experience driving it yet and getting a feel for how it rides. However, based on the little that I know of similarities between your rig and mine, and of your VERY good experiences with your new air bags and shocks, that leads me to think that I may very want to very much take advantage of this one-time opportunity and have your Dallas International dealer install both of those for me as well, as I pass through on my way from Alabama to Alaska. I'll have a long drive ahead of me after that, with many many hours on the road. On one hand, I'd hate to be halfway home in the middle of Canada, and think "ah, this is rough--if only I had installed all that stuff back in Dallas while I could, before I started!" On the other hand, I'd hate to spend upwards of $6k if it wouldn't really be necessary for my particular rig.

You said you paid $750. Other testimonials (very positive) on their site said $400. Must be cheaper for other applications.

Did the set come with installation instructions? Or was it really that straightforward and obvious for you?

37' 2008 GS Conquest Endura 6362 Class "C+", International Chassis w/diesel VT365
Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
Texas TC

The installation is straight forward. However, there is not a lot of room in there to get a big wrench to break loose the bolts that hold the shocks in place. I did it without help but it took a little longer than I had estimated.

I really think the air and shocks, RoadKing or another higher performance shock than the stock shocks, will make your coach more comfortable to drive and more importantly ride in. I have never been in the rear of my coach while traveling. However, my wife says that the air suspension makes a world of difference. I do know that things stay in place on the counter, table, and bed now when they didn't prior to adding suspension improvements.

The choice is yours. I have found that RV's are a commitment. They don't appreciate in value and you might as well like driving and using the coach while you own it. I will most probably have mine for many years to come so I am making it like I want it.

Aaron at Southwest International did not have anything to do with the shocks. He did introduce me to the air suspension system. I sent him an email after I installed the shocks and told him the combination was a very good suspension system for the International 4200 chassis.

Good luck,

TxTC

Old 04-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #11
Billynchrisnpa

I contacted Road King and he shot me back a price of $700.00 plus shipping for the 2008 Supernova 6400. I think I am going to give them a try.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
Texas TC

I think you will like them. Mine were $750.00 no shipping so we are in the same ballpark. I guess it just depends on who you talk to at King's. My long trip has been postponed but I will making a 400 mile trip next week so I will get a better "feel" for the shocks. I will also have water in the tank in the rear of the coach which will actually change the driving somewhat. I am really looking forward to getting on the road if even for a short trip. That seems to be all that is on our schedule until August.

Let me know how you like them and pm me if you have any problems with the installation. I found a couple of tricks when I installed mine that made the job much easier than what I was trying to do with my original installation procedure.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
Brian

Tc Did you those shocks help the left to right leaning going into corners after the ACE install?? I had the Ace put on and love it. It now really lean when i go into corners. Will the Road King front help that??
Old 05-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
Texas TC

Brian,

Absolutely! Mine was never severe after the ACE install but it did tend to lean more than before the installation. It is much improved with the new shocks. I have notice I am more confident entering sharp interstate corners without slowing down since adding the shocks. Also, you don't get the "wallow" effect when you are pulling into parking lots or on to roads that have a high elevation change.

I am extremely pleased with these shocks and wish I had added them sooner.

TxTC

Old 05-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #15
Brian

I have them on order, can't wait. Thanks TC
Old 05-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #16
Wildblue

Brian, can I ask how much your final bill was from the dealer for the install? I got a quote for $7,500 just the other day from a reputable dealer service center, which is quite a jump from the amount they've been charging others.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #17
Brian

I paid $6000. The place here in Green Bay was VERY comfortable with putting it on. They put something very similar on semi's all the time. Others looked at picture and showed zero confidence. They looked at it and said No problem!
Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #18
JohnnyAfrica

Hi, bumping an old thread.... I am wanting purchase these from Road King for our SN, however Road King is asking what model # they are or if I have a Part#?
I can pull my existing shocks to get a compressed & extended measurement...was hoping someone may have the info needed. Thanks
Old 10-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #19
LTC_R

Default Road King Shocks

I put the Road Kings on my SN 6400 about 3 years ago. When I did it, they had a worksheet online to capture measurements of the existing shocks and send to them, the link is now dead, sorry. I cannot find my receipt that probably had the shock model and specs of the ones I installed. I attached the worksheet file to this post. Let me know if you cannot open it. Happy to help....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New-RoadKing-Shocks-Worksheet.pdf (1.07 MB, 10 views)
2008 JK Unlimited toad
LTC_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #20
JohnnyAfrica

Thank you... spoke with Road King. They don't seem very motivated to help. I will measure up &see what I can get figured out...Cheers!