Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Dune rider
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Default Power gear leveling/slides

Hey everyone I’ve exhausted all my contacts regarding the 140-1179 power gear control module. M&M no longer fix that model. Does anyone have a replacement unit or ideas on a repair. It’s in a 2006 GS Freindship G7 with manual gear. Also my front slides act like they are on circuit breakers. It takes three or four tries to get them in or out but eventually they will get there. I bought the unit used with no manuals but have done extensive research online and cannot figure it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
P/S after looking at wiring schematics, is there a possibility of making it automatic with a new controller and module.... anybody try that?
Dune rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 453
Default Look Here

Here is a link to the main page for the unit. Look at the links within to find what you need. I know there is a temperature sensor/cycle sensor in the syste that will cause it to timeout and need to be reset like a breaker. It's automatic It may also be faulty My problem is the switch design itself.I have a very hard time holding the switches in the desired position. It is probably due to my neuropathy



Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
Dune rider
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Default

Thanks Sudsy for the info. I will check it out.
Dune rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Dune rider
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Default

I can’t find the link, nothing where it says look here.
Dune rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 453
Default

https://support.lci1.com/dewald-leveling-system


I forgot to attach the link!


Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
Dune rider
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Default

Thanks Sudsy, I’ve been there. I’ve talked to lippert who now owns dewald /power gear . They tell me they can’t help me, even the tech department was useless. Their fix was to look on amazon or eBay. I’ve found a replacement for manual gear up to 2005 but no one can tell me if it will work with the 140-1179 system on my 2006. I have calls and emails out but no luck yet. Will post any updates I get.
Dune rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
proost
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune rider View Post
Hey everyone Iíve exhausted all my contacts regarding the 140-1179 power gear control module. M&M no longer fix that model. Does anyone have a replacement unit or ideas on a repair. Itís in a 2006 GS Freindship G7 with manual gear. Also my front slides act like they are on circuit breakers. It takes three or four tries to get them in or out but eventually they will get there. I bought the unit used with no manuals but have done extensive research online and cannot figure it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
P/S after looking at wiring schematics, is there a possibility of making it automatic with a new controller and module.... anybody try that?
Hey Dune rider,

Had the same issue and after COUNTLESS hours of searching and working with Lippert, in short, nope. You are doing the same thing I did and thought that based on the schematics, it should be doable, but the guts of the touch pads are all different even though the wiring looks the same. I went around the block with Lippert ace tech on this. I have a Tourmaster T40A and ultimately, we replaced the entire system from touch pad to hydraulic manifold with a new system and it is a DREAM. I have hydraulic jacks so they stayed and that was an actual challenge because many new systems have spring returns.

I have my old 140-1179 and hydraulic manifold that I'll ultimately sell off for parts.

Lastly, M&M said they are working on a generic replacement to the 140-1179 made in house because it was a particular chip they couldn't replace. They thought that maybe they would have something by the end of the year. Did they say anything to you about that?

Let me know if you need more information on what I replaced my system with.
__________________
Phil R
2007 Tourmaster T40A
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune rider View Post
Thanks Sudsy, Iíve been there. Iíve talked to lippert who now owns dewald /power gear . They tell me they canít help me, even the tech department was useless. Their fix was to look on amazon or eBay. Iíve found a replacement for manual gear up to 2005 but no one can tell me if it will work with the 140-1179 system on my 2006. I have calls and emails out but no luck yet. Will post any updates I get.



Can you post a picture of the entire pump/valve unit and the control box?


Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
proost
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune rider View Post
Thanks Sudsy, I’ve been there. I’ve talked to lippert who now owns dewald /power gear . They tell me they can’t help me, even the tech department was useless. Their fix was to look on amazon or eBay. I’ve found a replacement for manual gear up to 2005 but no one can tell me if it will work with the 140-1179 system on my 2006. I have calls and emails out but no luck yet. Will post any updates I get.
An idea, call (574) 537-8900 and ask to speak with Dustin Bowers at Lippert. He's the guy who was able to tell me if there was anything I could do to replace that 140-1179 on my coach. Super sharp on systems because of his tech background and he built a replacement out for me based on the unique requirements for my rig. I needed all new electronics/hydraulics but he tried to keep it localized to the smallest need possible. He's the guy.
__________________
Phil R
2007 Tourmaster T40A
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
Dune rider
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Default

Proost thanks for the reply. M&M never mentioned they were working on a control. I guess I spoke to the wrong guy. I was really surprised with Lippert when he told me to go on amazon. Obviously again I got the wrong guy. You mind me asking what you ended up doing and what it cost.
Dune rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
proost
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune rider View Post
Proost thanks for the reply. M&M never mentioned they were working on a control. I guess I spoke to the wrong guy. I was really surprised with Lippert when he told me to go on amazon. Obviously again I got the wrong guy. You mind me asking what you ended up doing and what it cost.
Yeah, I went through ALL of what you're going through right now and within the last 6 mos so hopefully I can help on this. I dug, dug, and dug and ultimately spoke to all the bubbas I needed to before pulling the trigger on an upgrade.

Can you tell me what your issues are with the panel so we can compare on that?

I ultimately replaced the 140-1179 and the pump assembly (no control box) with a new pump assembly, 4 point fully automatic control panel, and control box with all the associated fittings, hydraulic tubing, adapters, etc for $3500 and change and then the extra $1700-2000 for the labor. They estimated 20 hours to do the job but it came in less. It was a big expense but for us, who are going to full time it shortly, totally worth it. I honestly think that if you're pretty handy mechanically, you can install it yourself provided your jacks can stay put. Down here in AZ, I found a great shop but seriously, good workmanship is so hard to find. I was good having a shop do it.

That moment I pressed the auto button after going months with that old panel was pure euphoria. It all just went by itself!
__________________
Phil R
2007 Tourmaster T40A
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #12
Dune rider
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Default

Hey Phil, my panel comes on initially with all the lights on. If I push any button it goes blank and won’t come on unless I cycle the key. If I fool around pressing front and rear and then rt rear 3 times the on button will flash. After that I turn it on and it always has the jacks down lite illuminated. Sometimes I can get it to extend, but then it takes some doing to get them to retract. It doesn’t always work, sometimes I have to try several times to get any response. Earlier today I got the jacks down lite to go off....woohoo... Neal
Dune rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:50 PM   #13
proost
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune rider View Post
Hey Phil, my panel comes on initially with all the lights on. If I push any button it goes blank and wonít come on unless I cycle the key. If I fool around pressing front and rear and then rt rear 3 times the on button will flash. After that I turn it on and it always has the jacks down lite illuminated. Sometimes I can get it to extend, but then it takes some doing to get them to retract. It doesnít always work, sometimes I have to try several times to get any response. Earlier today I got the jacks down lite to go off....woohoo... Neal
Whoa - I just read this out loud to my wife and we both shuddered. EXACTLY the same. Sending you a PM. Phil
__________________
Phil R
2007 Tourmaster T40A
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:20 AM   #14
Dennis4809
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Graham
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune rider View Post
Hey everyone I’ve exhausted all my contacts regarding the 140-1179 power gear control module. M&M no longer fix that model. Does anyone have a replacement unit or ideas on a repair. It’s in a 2006 GS Freindship G7 with manual gear. Also my front slides act like they are on circuit breakers. It takes three or four tries to get them in or out but eventually they will get there. I bought the unit used with no manuals but have done extensive research online and cannot figure it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
P/S after looking at wiring schematics, is there a possibility of making it automatic with a new controller and module.... anybody try that?
Mine acted the same way. There is a circuit breaker but it’s on the pump motor. I repacked the motor and everything is fine. I’ll look up the motor but it’s the same a a Mercury outboard trim motor. Around $50 and you can replace without pulling the pump.

Dennis

Amazon listing
NEW TILT/TRIM MOTOR FITS MERCURY MARINER MERCRUISER 87828 88183A12 891736T
by Rareelectrical
4.8 out of 5 stars 5 ratings
Price: $65.00 & FREE Returns
Get $70 off instantl
__________________
2006 Gulf Stream Friendship G7
350 Cat, Crusier Lift w/ Honda VTX
Blue Ox and 2019 Chevy Blazer AWD V6
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #15
Dune rider
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Default

Dennis I will definitely give that a try. Thanks for your help. I replaced the relay this morning and it didn’t help. Thanks again , Neal
Dune rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #16
zippyphd
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 8
Default I feel your pain...

I've been through much of what you state.

Symptoms: Slide refused to move, jacks did moved then quit.
Repair: pulled motor, repair shop shorted the thermal limiting switch in the motor, (Mercruser J something or other, as stated above) replaced. Worked fine.

New issue:
Symptom: Jacks lower, big slide goes out without problem, but when trying to retract, the slide will run, then stop. releasing and re-engaging switch will cause the slide to begin moving again then stop. Repeat several times and eventually it will come all the way in.

Repair: Haven't completed a repair, but the a hydraulic expert suggested it's probably the toggle switch. I have a replacement switch, but am not going to try to fix it until it's broke.. (hopefully never! ) Another possibility is one of the solenoids. I did have an RV repair shop offer a 'repair'.. Replace the system using some 'adapter', total cost $5k..
zippyphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #17
Dune rider
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Default

I’ve changed the switch early on. It acts more like a circuit breaker. It takes a couple minutes and it’s both front slides. I ordered the motor yesterday, should be here Monday. One can only hope.. Thanks for your input.
Dune rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
THenne1713
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Memphis
Posts: 182
Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via MSN to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune rider View Post
Hey everyone Iíve exhausted all my contacts regarding the 140-1179 power gear control module. M&M no longer fix that model. Does anyone have a replacement unit or ideas on a repair. Itís in a 2006 GS Freindship G7 with manual gear. Also my front slides act like they are on circuit breakers. It takes three or four tries to get them in or out but eventually they will get there. I bought the unit used with no manuals but have done extensive research online and cannot figure it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
P/S after looking at wiring schematics, is there a possibility of making it automatic with a new controller and module.... anybody try that?
A few generic thoughts: 1) Levelers are binding (bent or needs lube?); 2) Contacts/ contactor/ switches intermittent and need replaced?; 3) Loose wires/ bad connections dropping voltage/ arcing? 4) Low/ bad battery or battery will not handle load properly? 5) If equipped with auto-reset circuit breakers, circuit breakers maybe tripping/ resetting at lower than rated (need replaced)? Start w/ a good, close visual inspection of all components?
__________________
THenne1713
99-Conquest 6266, E450SD, 6.8, 2v, V-10
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
A few generic thoughts: 1) Levelers are binding (bent or needs lube?); 2) Contacts/ contactor/ switches intermittent and need replaced?; 3) Loose wires/ bad connections dropping voltage/ arcing? 4) Low/ bad battery or battery will not handle load properly? 5) If equipped with auto-reset circuit breakers, circuit breakers maybe tripping/ resetting at lower than rated (need replaced)? Start w/ a good, close visual inspection of all components?



The first time I ran my hydraulic system I heard how the motor drew a lot of current. I now make it my practice to have the generator running when I get to the camp when leveling and running the rooms out. I run everything in and jacks up before pulling shore power. This insures full voltage to the motor and relays. The lower the voltage the more current is needed to do the same job.



Just a thought.


Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #20
Dune rider
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Default

Hi guys , quick update I be been over every inch. This unit has 15673 miles on it and every thing looks new. Granted it is 13 years old but spent most it life in storage. The slides are straight and have been lubed, no visible wiring problems, barely a spider web anywhere.Ive replaced all batteries first thing, the switches are new along with the relay. Pretty sure narrowed down the jacks to the control pad. I have a motor coming for the slides although I don’t think that’s the problem but it’s cheap. I m leaning towards the leveling system controller causing both my problems.
Dune rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×