Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
coolchas11

Default Basement Door Locks

On several occasions basement storage compartment doors on our TM have come open during travel. I'm sure they were locked and "tested" before leaving.
Has anyone had this happen and how do I tighten or secure the locking mechanism? Thanks, Charlie
Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
PChez

Default Adjusting compartment door locks

I am not sure about your TourMaster, but I know that on my Scenic Cruiser you losen a couple of cap screws and adjust the catch. Not the lock itself, it is the part that is stationary on the door jam.
I have had to adjust a couple on mine. They never did come open, but were just out of adjustment.
Honda Pilot EXL 2005
PChez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
David Bott

Hello...

Yes, had the issue right after we got the coach. If you look at the part on the coach that the lock connects to, it is like a U shaped thing. If you look at that, you will find it can be adjusted.

What I did was got inside the cargo area with a flashlight and had my wife close me in. (No jokes as she did let me out.) Looking at the connection between the lock on the door and the part on the bay, I knew about how much I needed to move it. The issue is that the U shaped thing is not far enough onto the lock part of the door. Most of them I just "bent" slightly in and did not loosen any of the bolts. This would be for the door that lock on the side, not the bottom. (Not the doors that open UPWORDS but open on the left or right.) The ones on the bottom need to be adjusted up if opening and this can not just be slightly bent in.

I hope that all came out right.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
coolchas11

Thank you. I'll trust my wife to open the door once I'm inside. Charlie
Old 10-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
CampWinican

He has not posted since... I wonder if he is still inside the compartment.
CampWinican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
David Bott

Ha!!! LOL

Speaking of compartments, if anyone may consider slide out cargo trays, we just had 3 installed at Mor/Ryde. Mor/Ryde makes them for Tiffen and others. They can be ordered on-line..but I would recommend seeing them directly for purchase and install in Elkhart, IN.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
rdlamb

Unfortunately, the "catch", the U shaped bar, can move forward or backwards. To "raise the bar" you have to place shims under the lag screws holding it to the compartment floor. My coach was still under warranty when I had my doors fixed, but I snooped while the tech was working.
He installed metal plates under the catch. They looked like plumber's tape.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Luckiest Dreamer

Default Re: Basement Door Locks

On my TM I found the screws that attached the latches quickly worked them selves loose. I retightened, making sure the latch would fully hold the door closed. They quickly loosened again! I removed each screw and reset with liquid lock tight. They are now solid and the doors do not open during transit. When looking at your doors I advise that you try to determine the doors are square with the opening and at the same level as the door next door. I know that some of mine could be realighned as the hinge side or the latch is adjusted so when you look down the side of the coach one will be set in and maybe another a bit out. Each door is adjustible at the hing and at the latch.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
CraigS

On our coach problem is: the compartment doors physically slide forward or back causing the latch to go out of alignment. When the door in the open position, it is easy to slide it back to the right spot. You simply have to pay attention to the door's position.

I now use a small dab of red paint to mark the correct position where the hinge meets side wall. I can now easily see a badly aligned door before it becomes a problem.
2010 Ford Focus Toad
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #10
Cynthia14

Door locks and home security are things that technology has advanced, it can maintain a safe residence and the owner can go even further. Today, there are metal doors and other materials that gives them strength. To go with this technology is as advanced, like the kind of locks can be placed on the door locks that can be installed door.The now the standard lock where it should be a key that is used to many people and is a lock type you choose.

residential locksmith Arvada
Cynthia14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #11
robevenlyy

Basement locks need to be upgraded with new advanced locks so that your basement will also be secured like other rooms of your home. Also, if you are confused in selecting the locks then you must take help from a local locksmith to choose the right locks for your basement.
robevenlyy is offline   Reply With Quote