Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
Restorium
Senior Member
 
Restorium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 557
Default Speedometer and Transmission Quit

Went for a drive this morning. While driving down the highway the speedometer went to zero mph and the transmission free wheeled. Watched as I pressed the gas and the RPM went up but the trans acted like it was in neutral.
Did that for less than one minute and went back to normal.

After reading on the internet I think it might be a connection problem to the module above the rear differential.

I will check it out later and see what kind of evidence I can gather.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #2
Restorium
Senior Member
 
Restorium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 557
Default

Found a corroded wiring connection. Went for a long drive and everything seems fine now.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
jamesham
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 41
Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. Have not had this problem yet, but nice to hear about this fix.


QUOTE=Restorium;29147]Went for a drive this morning. While driving down the highway the speedometer went to zero mph and the transmission free
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Ken & De
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Leesburg
Posts: 6
Default PLEASE tell me where you found corrosion.

I have been trying to get the speedometer working again on my 2002 Sun Voyager for a very long time with no success. I have brought it to 3 different shops and sent the speedometer out for repair (they told me the speedometer works fine) The 2002 does not have the pickup sensor in the differential like other years. I'm told it gets the info from the wheel sensors. So I have replaced all of those with no luck. I'm at a total loss and have resorted to using a GPS speedometer, but would like to get it working again. Not to mention having an odometer.
__________________
Ken & De
Ken & De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken & De View Post
I have been trying to get the speedometer working again on my 2002 Sun Voyager for a very long time with no success. I have brought it to 3 different shops and sent the speedometer out for repair (they told me the speedometer works fine) The 2002 does not have the pickup sensor in the differential like other years. I'm told it gets the info from the wheel sensors. So I have replaced all of those with no luck. I'm at a total loss and have resorted to using a GPS speedometer, but would like to get it working again. Not to mention having an odometer.



Is it a Ford (Spartan) coach or a Workhorse with the 8.1 ltr Chevy?


Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
Restorium
Senior Member
 
Restorium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesham View Post
Thanks for the info. Have not had this problem yet, but nice to hear about this fix.


QUOTE=Restorium;29147]Went for a drive this morning. While driving down the highway the speedometer went to zero mph and the transmission free
After I researched it a little I figured out it was either a fuse or the connection on the module. Since it only quit for less than a minute and went back to normal it had to be the connection. Took off the connector and there was a very small amount of corrosion on one pin. Cleaned up the connector and I have driven it a few hundred miles now without any trouble.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
[email protected]
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Default

I have a problem ,every time it rains my speedometer goes to zero tried liquid tape on the connection at the sensor at the rear of the transmission now I get no speedometer,and a bell alarm that my lights are on and the key is off ,the key is on and the GPS said I was doing 55mph I cann't say too much for this Ford.any ideas?
doug13589@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a problem ,every time it rains my speedometer goes to zero tried liquid tape on the connection at the sensor at the rear of the transmission now I get no speedometer,and a bell alarm that my lights are on and the key is off ,the key is on and the GPS said I was doing 55mph I cann't say too much for this Ford.any ideas?

I would take the tape off of the plug. Go get some Di-Electric compound (DOW 4 compound). It looks like Vaseline but is non conductive. I'm not sure of the spelling. It is pricey. I use it in stubborn connections. It keeps water out and does not short out signals and voltages. As far as I am concerned tape just holds moisture that is going to penetrate anyway. Some electrical connection contact cleaner spray can't hurt either.



Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #9
Ken & De
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Leesburg
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Is it a Ford (Spartan) coach or a Workhorse with the 8.1 ltr Chevy?


Sudsy
Mine is a Ford F53 chassis
__________________
Ken & De
Ken & De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
Restorium
Senior Member
 
Restorium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken & De View Post
Mine is a Ford F53 chassis
I would take it in to a really good transmission repair facility.

If they can't diagnose it then they will refer you to a really good electronic repair facility. Between the two they should be able to fix it.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #11
Ken & De
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Leesburg
Posts: 6
Default

That was actually one of the 3 I took it to. We have an extremely well respected transmission shop in the area. They couldn't figure it out but said "it will be expensive but the Ford dealership will have all the diagnostics to figure it out" So the Ford dealer was another one of the 3. I should add my anti-lock brake light was on too. They told me I needed to replace the wheel sensors to the tune of about $2,000 (so I replaced them myself with OEM for much less) This did fix my anti-lock light but not my speedometer
__________________
Ken & De
Ken & De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #12
Restorium
Senior Member
 
Restorium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken & De View Post
That was actually one of the 3 I took it to. We have an extremely well respected transmission shop in the area. They couldn't figure it out but said "it will be expensive but the Ford dealership will have all the diagnostics to figure it out" So the Ford dealer was another one of the 3. I should add my anti-lock brake light was on too. They told me I needed to replace the wheel sensors to the tune of about $2,000 (so I replaced them myself with OEM for much less) This did fix my anti-lock light but not my speedometer
Now you need to take it back to the Ford dealer.
You saved some money doing the wheel sensors yourself but you also don't have the electronic interface that is needed to straighten this out.
I suspect that the problem now is a transmission sensor.
Now that you fixed one of the problems they can concentrate on the other issue.
You most likely had two things going on at once. Makes it hard to troubleshoot. Should be easier now with the wheel sensors out of the way.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
Ken & De
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Leesburg
Posts: 6
Default

Your right maybe they can figure it out now. Although another one of my attempted repairs was replacing the sensor on the transmission you mentioned. That didn't solve it either, this really is puzzling.
__________________
Ken & De
Ken & De is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #14
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 472
Default OBD 2 Diagnistic tool $16.95

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


I bought one of these last week. It uses WiFi and there are several apps that will work with it. It is WiFi linked to your phone. Maybe it would help. See if you are getting the speedo pulses at the OBD port anyway. For the price I got two. One will remain in the coach.



Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #15
Restorium
Senior Member
 
Restorium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken & De View Post
Your right maybe they can figure it out now. Although another one of my attempted repairs was replacing the sensor on the transmission you mentioned. That didn't solve it either, this really is puzzling.
Any check engine lights?
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×