Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Kate P

Default Equalizing the batteries

Have any of you equalized your batteries? We have "flooded batteries" that our inverter manual says that it is useful to use the battery equalization mode to improve the life of the battery. Can anyone provide additional information on the value of battery equalization? Our batteries are not holding a charge as long as they once did. Can anyone recommend good house batteries?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
jtking

Default Re: Equalizing the batteries

I have not yet equalized our batteries, but have had several Rvers recommend it and plan to do it soon. Equalizing charges at a higher rate which removes scale from the battery plates. However, a word of caution, check the water level after equalizing because the high charge rate can boil off water, if low top off with distilled water. I replaced the four 6v inverter batteries with Interstate GC2 RV-XHD in June of 2010 they are holding up well--see link below.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_e ... RV6Volt|3|

In addition, I replaced the 12v Chassis and Coach batteries with Interstate batteries. All are doing well.

John
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
RayChez1

I equalize the house batteries at least once a year. They actually recommend to do it every six months IF you want your house batteries to last. I am not sure what the newer coaches have, but my 2002 has a Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter/charger with a Heart interface panel.
First make sure that the water level is all the way up and your batteries fully charged. Then I turn both big switches on the outside compartment like when you are going to winterize your coach. You certainly don't want high voltage running through any circuits in your refrigerator boards or anything because when you take the steps on the panel to get the equalization started the batteries will be charged at a real high rate to get them to boil and the sulfate will fall off the plates to expose the lead. If you follow the steps it will go on for eight hours and will turn off automaticly. It is very easy and should be done if you want your batteries to last. Your manual for the inverter should take you step by step on how to do it.
Pull the battery tray out if you have slides so that plenty of air will hit it because of the hydrogen gas that will be emitted. If you don't have a tray then just leave the compartment door open while you are equalizing the batteries.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
nomad

I bought a batteryminder and am very happy with it.
It will charge the batteries and then float charge it cleaning the plates off. They are said to double the battery life .
8000 watt Onan Generator
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
RayChez1

Nomad, Just charging the batteries at a regular rate is what builds up the sulfate on the batteries. That is what equalization is all about, it takes the charge to a very high rate to get that sulfate off the plates. I believe we all have inverter/charger combination on all of our coaches and the charger will only keep the batteries charged, but it does not remove the build up.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 10-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
nomad

Thanks for that info Ray

do you know what is considered a regular rate ?

the batteryminder has a 2 amp 4 amp and 8 amp selection for a person to chose --- them it pulses the battery with electric to clean off the sulfation on the plates .

http://www.batteryminders.com/batterych ... 16133.html

or did I get snookered when I bought this ?
8000 watt Onan Generator
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
RayChez1

On my coach the charger on the inverter/charger if the batteries are charged, it stays floating at around 13.4 amps, but when I equalize the batteries it takes the house batteries up as high as 16 amps. They are suppose to boil and they get real hot and you got to have plenty of ventilation because while equalizing there is a lot of hydrogen gas been emitted by the boiling batteries.

The battery minders are just to maintain one or two batteries, but not to equalize.
Aventa II Blue Ox