Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Camperman

Default No power to Coach

Hello, I have a 2006 Sun Voyageur. I just charged up the 3 batteries after a very long cold winter and after installation the engine (gas) fired up on the first turn of the key. Turned on the generator and it fired right away. Everything seemed to be working so I decided to leave the generator running for an hour or so and turn off the engine. The generator also shut off. When I checked there was nothing registering on the panel for water, battery power etc. No lights either. I disconnected the batteries, cleaned all posts and connections but the only thing I did not clean was the ground for the coach batteries. Turned on the engine again and everything seemed to work including interior lights, panel, generator etc. Turned off engine and tested the inverter which is getting 13.8 volts but nothing coming out.I'll clean the ground tomorrow morning and see if that helps but it seems to me that if that was the issue the inverter wouldn't be getting power. I checked the kill switch at the door and while the engine switch "clicks," the coach switch doesn't. I'll check that tomorrow also. Hope that's the problem rather than the inverter. Any suggestion on what the problem could be? Anyone experience a similar problem?
Thanks.
Mark
Camperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
JRFWallis09

Default Re: No power to Coach

Did you get it worked out? My husband does not like inverters-"cause you're drawing 120v out of a battery that's only designed to furnish 12v--makes him nervous, thinking it " sucks the life out of the batteries" so, ours is disconnected.
Purchased-June 2014
JRFWallis09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Belize2000

Did you try your Coach Solenoid
Old 08-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Camperman

I thought I had the problem solved but it's back. See my new post on Disconnect switches. Because the coach switch operates when the engine is running it may not be the solenoid but again, I don't know. Had it checked several times but when I got to the service all was well. I've checked all fuses and they are Okay. Put in new switches and problem persists. If I can't solve the problem by Friday I have arranged to visit a repair facility to have ti checked. I wonder if the coach batteries are being discharged quickly and that causes the coach side to lose power.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
RayHarkness

not sure if this is resolved. I had a solenoid...in the front electrical compartment of our 2002 GS Scenice Cruiser. everything went dead..dashboard etc.
There is a solenoid in there, prior to the fuse block. I made the mistake of putting in an auto solenoid, thought I was pretty smart...DUHHH...thats a Momentary solenoid, not constant. Burned that baby right up.

Was advised by our GS dealer, I can bypass. Just put BOTH the cables on to one side of the solenoid..so both hot and other cables are together. This will send power. When we would stop, I would go to the back, and turn that main power switch off. Got thru most of the trip, til I got to an RV place..and they had a RV solenoid that is continuous. Never had a problem since...it worked. Guess this is very very common..R
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Camperman

I finally have the problem solved. I took the rig to 3 rv repair places and1 truck repair facility. After hundreds of dollars spent no one could trace or find the problem. With several temporary fixes to operate the vehicle, run the levellers etc. I managed to make it have a vacation and make it home. I took the rig to the local mechanic and within an hour he had located the problem. The ground cable to the battery had corrosion inside the connector. It could not be seen but he was quite sure the problem lay inside . We cut it off and sure enough it was green. It took some work but I did manage to get it well cleaned. We used a different connector and filled the hole where the wire goes in with solder and then stuck the wired in. There will never be corrosion in there again. The ground for the electrical step was also corroded and the step operated intermittently. It is now working again.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
RayChez1

I am glad you have resolved the problem with your coach. Now it is time to go out and enjoy it.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #8
cqwanju

I think this post write very good!