Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class C
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2024, 04:08 PM   #1
Redviking

Exclamation Bought a 1997 Ford Ultra Limited edition by Gulf stream with no info

OK so this is a mouthful but I am a 55 year old single woman living in an RV what I got was a 1997 Ford E350 super duty with a V 10 in it it's an ultra limited edition by Gulf stream no manuals no anything it took me eight months to find a manual just for the truck portion couldn't even get one at the ford.com website as far as the Home portion I have nothing can find nothing, anything! I have looked up information on the inverter For example info on the label gave a number to an airport in Washington state that they knew nothing what I was talking of.

In a nutshell I was sold a lemon! I was in a time crunch and it was in a storage unit no power to test anything, when I tried to contact the previous owners for questions or anything else found out they had bounced of course!!! my fault so I've been doing the best I can.
the other RV I owned was 12 years older than this and had nothing that this has an anybody I've run across that says they will help me do repairs is more interested in stealing my tools or Whatever else they can get their hands on.

In short the generator tries to start but won't run the only thing I have figured out from is it does receive fuel from my fuel tank on the truck
I have two solar panels that do seem to charge my house batteries and in the Coach my lights work but no plug-ins nothing else if I plug in the shore power my AC did work but not the microwave or any of the plug-ins
The furnace seems to be shot somebody tested five different points on it and said it had 00 continuity which meant it didn't matter if it didn't have power to it it should have something?
After much searching during times I worked and was just surviving in this thing I have traced most wires have no idea what an RV disconnect battery switch is even after looking at Many pictures I do not do electric well I found out under my step I believe should've been a battery found a battery put it in there but don't know what to connected to don't know even where to start can anybody please help me with any kind of Manuals, information, personal input? I will be grateful for anything whatsoever to help me through this I just started a new job so I cannot afford help an RV tech or such As of yet so this is where I've ended up and I'm hoping somebody can help me please and thank you😀😀😀😀🙏🙏🙏
Redviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:55 AM   #2
Leisure Time Larry

Hi Redviking, welcome. Sorry you are struggling. Unfortunately, they just don't make a manual like a car that is like, here is what you bought and how everything works. I've attached the generic motorhome manual from Gulf Stream from 1998. Each individual component should have its own owners manual that you may be able to find online, like the generator, the furnace, the water heater, the a/c, the stove, the fridge, etc. You need to find the make and model numbers for each and then search for the manuals.

Watch these helpful videos on RV electricity. They are a good start to understanding. https://youtu.be/7DpIzugALqc?si=j5fhGDiKPiZoazr3 https://youtu.be/WFPcV9_1frE?si=-Fo51dYVfySFUOzu YouTube can be your best source of knowledge!

It would help greatly to know the model name and number of your motorhome. "Limited Edition" is very generic. This may be on a sticker on the wall inside of a cabinet or on the outside by the entry door.

Does the motorhome start and drive? Do you move it often? Often the generator is ran from a fuel line that is inserted into the main vehicle fuel tank. It should be situated so that it will not draw from the tank once it reaches about 1/4 of a tank. This is so the generator cannot run the vehicle fuel tank empty. This is to leave some fuel to start and run the vehicle for a ways. A generator not starting could be that it is not getting fuel. Make sure to fill the vehicle tank to ensure that it is. If the vehicle has been sitting, old, stale or fuel with water and contaminates mixed in can also prevent a generator from starting. Low oil level can also prevent a generator from starting. Check, or better yet change the generator oil, set the oil level properly with the dipstick, then see if it will run.

How often are you plugged into shore? What type of receptacle are you plugged into? The 30amp cord from the motorhome straight into the wall, or are you using an adapter to plug into a regular 15amp outlet? What works when you are not plugged in?

If you watch the first video, you should understand that if your outlets aren't working then a few things need to be known. They won't work unless you are plugged into sufficient shore power, or unless the generator is running, or an inverter and batteries are working sufficiently. If yes to one those things, then reset the circuit breakers, reset any GFCI outlets and retest.

Knowing the model of your motorhome will help understand the battery in the step issue. House batteries are often kept under the steps. Where are your current house batteries stored? How many batteries do you have?

Best of luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11364_1998-MH-Owners-Manual.pdf (2.53 MB, 0 views)
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:36 PM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Re: FURNACE is 12vdc CONTROLS thru thermostat, AND 12VDC BLOWER MOTOR, so battery power required, and blower can drain battery in 5-8-hours, varies w/ temperature/ run time. Furnace uses propane. GEN fuel will not drain tank below 1/4 and leave you stranded, it will suck air below 1/4-tank, so BEST is fuel tank OVER 1/2 if GEN MIGHT be needed. Do NOT CRANK OVER 30-SECONDS without cooling starter 5-minutes, or you might blow starter. I crank mine 3-seconds, pause 3-seconds*, crank 3-seconds, repeat; generally starts on 2nd press. (*allows fuel to flow from electric pump).

1) You need RV/MARINE BATTERY, Battery SWITCH under step turned ON (turn off if stored without shoreline power).

2) If microwave light comes on when you open door, it has power. (if power, but no display/ very dim, or partial display=, may still work, mine does; I suspect it got hit by a surge, but is 24yo.) If no light inside microwave, check BREAKERS in the BREAKER/ FUSE POWER PANEL.
3) My power panel behind brown metal bottom-hinged door at knee area in front of sink? 1/4-turn square plastic by fingers or coin or screw driver to unlock cover.
4) FUSES= 12VDC, CIRCUIT BREAKER= 120vac
Old 02-14-2024, 12:57 PM   #4
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

RECOMMEND you get pad& pen and cell camera and Open every outside compartment AND TAKE PICTURES AND NOTES, ZOOM on any BRAND/ MODEL LABELS, but backup and get orienting full pictures too. Makes Internet search later MUCH easier than going out in the dark w/ flashlight
2) then do similar for all areas inside, even remove drawers and shoot PICS of what is behind? GOOD LUCK
Old 02-14-2024, 05:56 PM   #5
Just two

Sounds like good advice. I found that my generator sat with old gas in the carburetor caused it to gum up the float. I needed to clean it up and now I run it once a month to keep the juices flowing.
Just two is offline   Reply With Quote