Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Gulf Stream | Tech > Electrical
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-22-2024, 01:34 PM   #1
NellyT

Unhappy Outlets have stopped working but lights still do

So I have a 2008 streamlite ultra lite and am having some electrical issues.

all the lights still work and most of the outlets worked until this morning when they all mysteriously stopped. The microwave has stopped working as well and I'm at a loss as to why. I tried resetting the breakers and checked all the fuses. We also just replaced the batteries two days ago. The only thing I can think that is wrong is the power converter but that doesn't explain why some of the outlets worked and some didn't (until today when they all stopped) and when I opened the panel to look at the converter it didn't seem to be doing anything.

Any and all help is appreciated and if yall have any tips on how to find and buy the correct converter (if that is the case) that would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
NellyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:18 PM   #2
Leisure Time Larry

Hi Nelly, sorry you are having issues. Lights are powered by the 12 volt direct current (DC) system, like in a car, so this power is most often coming from the batteries. The outlets are powered by the 120 volt alternating current (AC) system, like in a house. To get 120v power in the RV, it either needs to be plugged into shore power, operating off of a running generator, or be powered by an INVERTER which takes 12v DC power from the batteries and makes 120v AC power from it.

The most common reason AC power stops working inside the RV is that you become disconnected from shore power. Like the breaker for the shore power outlet tripped, or the cord physically gets disconnected. Check these things first.

Have you been plugged into shore power? Where are you when this is happening? A RV park, your driveway, or the middle of the woods? Knowing your source(s) of power is important for diagnosis.

Next, do any of the outlets work, or did they all stop working? Please be specific.

Finally, the power CONVERTER takes 120v AC power from shore or generator and converts it to 12v DC power to charge the batteries and assist them in running the 12v items, like lights. If the CONVERTER is bad, you would get little to no battery charging or lights after the batteries are dead.

Let's figure this out.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:51 AM   #3
NellyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
Have you been plugged into shore power?
Hey Larry, thank you for the reply I really appreciate it.

We have been plugged in (this model doesn’t have a generator) and it turns out the gfi switch was tripped. To be honest I didn't notice the plug in the bathroom had a breaker in it until after I posted. However I’ve ran into a new issue with the furnace and I don’t know if you can help with that but id appreciate it as well.

The furnace was working fine yesterday and last night it wouldn’t kick on. The fan would for a few seconds but then the furnace wouldn’t. I know we have gas because the stove still works. As of this morning the fan wont kick on anymore. I checked the fuse and it’s fine and no breakers have been tripped. I'm at a loss with it and don't know where to look next.
NellyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:41 AM   #4
Leisure Time Larry

Aw, yes, the GFI was going to be my next suggestion. As for the furnace, I'm not sure I can help much other than to tell you to confirm the basics. Physically check that you have propane. The cooktop burners could burn for a while just off of the gas left in the lines, but you may not get full pressure if you are low or out of propane. Running the furnace burns it up quickly. The furnace also only runs on 12v power, so make sure that your batteries are charged. If they are low, it may sense that and shut itself down. Check the 12v fuse again and confirm good. You may need to open up some panels to see what make and model the furnace is so that you can find the manual for it online and check the troubleshooting guide within. It's also possible for the older thermostat to go bad. Good luck!
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 02:12 PM   #5
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

re: furnace, usually, if battery low, furnace blower will run, but gas off by SAFETY SAIL SWITCH, BUT BLOWS COLD AIR. BLOWER and controls are 12vdc. if it will not run, you need to check for 12vdc where it comes into furnace. Possibly a thermostat issue?